General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

58 minutes ago, matty said:

No the US likely wants the audience and the access Toronto provide. I do think the US would bitch about this and that the money would be in Toronto. I know people hate the USSF, but the USSF knows how to make cash and they like east coast stuff cause it makes money. If the USSF says there's better TV money in Toronto the CSA will pick Toronto

Who the f*** cares what the USSF wants?  I don't care if they think it will make them more money.  That's irrelevant to the CSA.

Toronto/Vancouver for either match, and line up friendlies in nearby CPL cities.

Just now, Watchmen said:

Who the f*** cares what the USSF wants?  I don't care if they think it will make them more money.  That's irrelevant to the CSA.

Toronto/Vancouver for either match, and line up friendlies in nearby CPL cities.

I agree here. The CSA will be picking the spot with no input from the Americans

15 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

The CSA makes a massive chunk (the majority in fact) of the money from TV rights as the host of the game (the CSA holds the rights). Unless CONCACAF is applying seperate rules for this event from qualifying but that does not appear to be the case at the current time. It'd be awesome if the CSA got the fattest cheque possible from Fox Sports (well MediaPro as they'd broker the deal) would it not?

Edited by matty

11 minutes ago, matty said:

The CSA makes a massive chunk (the majority in fact) of the money from TV rights as the host of the game (the CSA holds the rights). Unless CONCACAF is applying seperate rules for this event from qualifying but that does not appear to be the case at the current time. It'd be awesome if the CSA got the fattest cheque possible from Fox Sports would it not?

Getting a result is what matters, not $

9 minutes ago, matty said:

The CSA makes a massive chunk (the majority in fact) of the money from TV rights as the host of the game (the CSA holds the rights). Unless CONCACAF is applying seperate rules for this event from qualifying but that does not appear to be the case at the current time. It'd be awesome if the CSA got the fattest cheque possible from Fox Sports (well MediaPro as they'd broker the deal) would it not?

We don't know the terms of the MediaPro deal.  It's possible that it's a fixed rate, or that the increase in showing in Toronto vs Vancouver is negligible.  I honestly don't see the money from a one-off tv rights deal being relevant enough to determine which city should host this event.

To be clear, I'm not saying it shouldn't be hosted in Toronto.  I'm saying that the CSA should do what's in Canada's best interest.

Edited by Watchmen

10 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

We don't know the terms of the MediaPro deal.  It's possible that it's a fixed rate, or that the increase in showing in Toronto vs Vancouver is negligible.  I honestly don't see the money from a one-off tv rights deal being relevant enough to determine which city should host this event.

I was under the impression that the rights to MediaPro excluded FIFA official tournaments. CNL should theoretically end up on TSN but MediaPro produce the content on Canadian soil.

Edited by Ansem

Just now, Watchmen said:

It's true we don't but given how large the reported investment could be, it's more likely to vary depending on the match and number of games. The money from one off event like this could easily net mid level six figures from Fox and location could increase it by $100-200k.

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I was under the impression that the rights to MediaPro excluded FIFA official tournaments. CNL should theoretically end up on TSN but MediaPro produce the content

It's not clear how qualification matches and such (so Nations League games) count for the deal. I think they're included in the MediaPro deal as past WCQ games were controlled by the CSA. The game will likely be on TSN but also has a real shot at US TV as well which brings in a hefty penny

Edited by matty

7 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

FOX will not pay $100k more for BMO Field over BC Place. The stadium they broadcast from does not change the value of the contract that much.

it can (it's not a guarantee but it can). you get more markets in better times thanks to the time zone. a prime time kickoff in toronto is better for nyc, philly, florida, boston, texas and still can work for l.a.

if a weekend game then it's less of a big deal

Edited by matty

Just now, matty said:

it can (it's not a guarantee but it can). you get more markets in better times thanks to the time zone. a prime time kickoff in toronto is better for nyc, philly, florida, boston, texas and still can work for l.a.

The can change the day and kickoff time for that. 

If the USMNT plays at BC Place they can play Saturday instead of Friday because they can play their next game in Seattle on a Tuesday (very little travel). Early kickoff time is not a $100k loss. 

If we play at home in October, we won't care about a second game that window ( a friendly ) because hopefully half our team will be in Costa Rica with the U23s.

Just now, matty said:

And an extra 15-20k seats at BC Place vs BMO at $20 a piece will get you an extra $300-$400k over Toronto.  Because this game will sell out regardless of venue. 

Again, I'm not arguing for one over the other.  I think we've all learned that both are solid choices now.

1 minute ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The can change the day and kickoff time for that. 

If the USMNT plays at BC Place they can play Saturday instead of Friday because they can play their next game in Seattle on a Tuesday (very little travel). Early kickoff time is not a $100k loss. 

If we play at home in October, we won't care about a second game that window ( a friendly ) because hopefully half our team will be in Costa Rica with the U23s.

i did edit to acknowledge a weekend game would change what you'd likely between the venues drop. if it does end up a weekday game Toronto would be the bigger money maker. 

18 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I was under the impression that the rights to MediaPro excluded FIFA official tournaments. CNL should theoretically end up on TSN but MediaPro produce the content on Canadian soil.

I've argued this over in the CPL TV thread, but man I wish they were less secretive about this deal and what's included in it..  It's incredibly frustrating.

Just now, Watchmen said:

And an extra 15-20k seats at BC Place vs BMO at $20 a piece will get you an extra $300-$400k over Toronto.  Because this game will sell out regardless of venue. 

Again, I'm not arguing for one over the other.  I think we've all learned that both are solid choices now.

There's also the possibility BMO does it's temp seating (longshot but possible). The only negative going with live money over tv money is possibly a bigger cost to you. Realistically it could go either way I think

Since we don't know which group winners will be placed into which semifinals, I wonder if what they've decided for the Gold Cup knockout stage will influence the CNL semifinals. In the GC, Mexico's group and Costa Rica's group are on the same side of the draw. If they didn't want to have a repeat of that for the CNL, and the desired final for the GC was what they also wanted to try and plan for here, they could have Mexico's group play the winner of the group Honduras is in, and have our group winner play the winner of Costa Rica's group in the semis. 

Edited by jtpc

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Possibly, but FOX is not making $100k more in commercials one way or the other. 

fox would likely make the same amount for prime time without this but being in a prime time slot in more markets would get you more cash out of them. again only talking weekdays

it's also curious if the venues buy the rights to host games or not. i know for gold cup they do

Edited by matty