General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I've argued this over in the CPL TV thread, but man I wish they were less secretive about this deal and what's included in it..  It's incredibly frustrating.

that's fair. given how companies similar to mediapro operate i would not be shocked if we never find out.

I just saw the draw results now, and I actually like the draw. It certainly could be called a "Group of Death." However, I feel like we play the Americans tougher then Mexico. With that being said, more road experience in Costa Rica, Honduras, or Mexico probably would be preferable. Cuba is also a team we typically do well with, and we will get points if we get results. 

14 minutes ago, matty said:

fox would likely make the same amount for prime time without this but being in a prime time slot in more markets would get you more cash out of them. again only talking weekdays 

Yes they would make more cash more likely. Not $100k more though!

Also remember:

http://www.thevoyageurs.org/forums/topic/31672-concacaf-nations-league/

On 4/3/2017 at 6:42 AM, Alex said:

Then we start actually having prep games in Central America and Trinidad/Jamaica. 

On 3/23/2017 at 10:44 PM, canta15 said:

If it contains every CONCACAF team (it will likely not include CONMEBOL) it will give us valuable games in Central America and we will no longer have uncertainty on whether we will have any friendlies or not or the skill level of the opponent.

On 11/29/2017 at 11:16 AM, ray said:

Anyway, the League of Nations is coming and serves Canada's immediate needs for increased # of games, official (cap-tying) matches, experience in Central American conditions and developing greater squad depth.  We'll take it for as long as it lasts.

Like all coaches before him Herdman will be ready to win in Central America when we get to WCQ!

giphy.gif

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

4 minutes ago, ktf said:

I just saw the draw results now, and I actually like the draw. It certainly could be called a "Group of Death." However, I feel like we play the Americans tougher then Mexico. With that being said, more road experience in Costa Rica, Honduras, or Mexico probably would be preferable. Cuba is also a team we typically do well with, and we will get points if we get results. 

i feel like this draw is the best draw fan and money wise but do agree a central american team would be more useful experience wise.

Just now, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Yes they would make more cash more likely. Not $100k more though!

Also remmber

http://www.thevoyageurs.org/forums/topic/31672-concacaf-nations-league/

Like all coaches before him Herdman will be ready to win in Central America when we get to WCQ!

not $100-200k alone going to canada but the game could get $100-200k more of which canada would get the biggest payout of

i'm hopeful the pre-gold cup friendly is in latin america. i know most want it here but as we're not getting it with nations league and all latin nations (cept guatemala) are in prep themselves for the summer cups, it would be the best use of the window i feel.

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

The last time that I can recall a Canadian men's team at any age level beating the US in a non-friendly match (both goal scorers having just played for the full senior team on Sunday, and look at all those CPL players on the pitch):

Was that the game we played the Christmas tree formation 4-3-2-1, which turned into a Floro friendly 7-3-0 formation late in the game?

4 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I may be wrong....but I doubt it!

i'd say 65-35 me in regards to weekday but if they go with weekend ends don't matter. still wanna know if venues buy the rights to host these game

I'm pretty okay with this group. I feel like Cuba is beatable, especially for the increase in quality in our National Team since we last played them. Still, they aren't a sure-thing. Which I like. We really should not be playing games that are sure-things. 

I'm happy the US is in our group too. I want to see more US vs Canada games. I want that rivalry to grow, and the entire reason that I wanted Canada in Nation's League A was so that we could test ourselves and practice against higher competition. The US is this. Further, I think our program is on more of an upward trajectory currently than theirs is. Are we still behind them? Without a doubt. Could we irk out a draw or something? Perhaps. 

I think advancing out of the group stage is unlikely. I also think being relegated is unlikely. I'm okay with both of those things, especially if we have a small chance at the former. 

Purely from a "liklihood to advance" position I think we drew a tough group, if not the toughest group (with Cuba in the 3rd slot). However in terms of getting some good games and keeping the stakes high and the games exciting... I'm okay with this. 

For me an intriguing subplot is what kind of team Canada calls for the Cuba fixtures...its not long after the Gold Cup, do you still call a full "A" squad or do you work in more North American players and then bring in the Europe based guys for the fixtures vs the US......

3 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

For me an intriguing subplot is what kind of team Canada calls for the Cuba fixtures...its not long after the Gold Cup, do you still call a full "A" squad or do you work in more North American players and then bring in the Europe based guys for the fixtures vs the US......

These are competitive games that count towards WCQ seeding. We obviously call our full squad for these games.

Just now, jpg75 said:

These are competitive games that count towards WCQ seeding. We obviously call our full squad for these games.

ahh I forgot about the WCQ seeding that is a valid point....if Canada can improve seeding and maybe avoid early round qualifying games that could give more chances for higher quality friendlies in those windows

I honestly wouldn’t call our group the Group of Death. C and D are a lot more even and anything can happen in those games. 

Also, I might bite my tongue later, but I don’t see Cuba as a threat at all with our talent pool.

21 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I honestly wouldn’t call our group the Group of Death. C and D are a lot more even and anything can happen in those games. 

Also, I might bite my tongue later, but I don’t see Cuba as a threat at all with our talent pool.

I like to think that we may contribute to the idea that ours is the group of death.  I like to think there are Pot 1 teams out there quite happy they didn't get us.  How the fuck is that for crazy?

We take Cuba lightly at our peril. They traditionally give us a tough time, stretching all the way back to 1982 World Cup Qualifying where if we had beat them instead of drawing them 2-2, we would have qualified for 1982 instead of El Salvador. Yes I know we clobbered them 3-0 last time we played them in Toronto but remember they also only brought an 11 player squad for that match.

We should expect to beat them*, but only by playing our best and having them play our best. The game in Cuba won't be a cakewalk either.

*Only because of our player pool, not because we've been able to test ourselves in meaningful matches against teams as good as Cuba under Herdman, that's still an open question until we get a chance to do it.

A result in Cuba is far from a sure thing, when we played there last time in WCQ the match was in Havana in the heat of the day it was brutal for us supporters in the stands, obviously very hard for our players to adapt to those conditions!

7 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Cuba is a must win and chances are very slim that they can get a point from the 'Mericans. So then it's all about Canada vs USA. Keep them on 1-1 at home, then 2-2 away and we're through! 

Wouldn't that be decided on goal differential based on the +/- against Cuba rather than away goals vs the US?