General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

13 minutes ago, matty said:

it would be just weird to have the us play only 2 or 3 competitive windows and canada and cuba playing both games in september. i'd say either the us is mistaken on dates or it's all crammed into those 2 windows (as it's 3 games played over 8 days, given how small any time zone issues would be here).

The US is either mistaken or the games are spread over the 3 windows. The only time i can remember CONCACAF having 3 official games in a window was in June of 2013 (or 2017?)

Edited by jpg75

3 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

The US is either mistaken or the games are spread over the 3 windows. The only time i can remember CONCACAF having 3 official games in a window was in June of 2013 (or 2017?)

It's 3 games for a group not 3 games for a team. Everyone still plays their 2 games (similar to a GC group stage but twice)

Edited by matty

Based on the US instagram post, the schedule would just have each team play their home-and-away series against one other team in an international window, while the third team has the window off, e.g.:

September: Cuba vs Canada; Canada vs Cuba (US doesn't play)

October: Canada vs United States; United States vs Canada (Cuba doesn't play)

November: United States vs Cuba; Cuba vs United States (Canada doesn't play)

Instead of the way scheduling worked for the 12-team leagues in UEFA Nations League, e.g.:

September: Cuba vs Canada; Cuba vs United States

October: Canada vs Cuba; United States vs Canada

November: United States vs Cuba; Canada vs United States

11 minutes ago, Zem said:

Based on the US instagram post, the schedule would just have each team play their home-and-away series against one other team in an international window, while the third team has the window off, e.g.:

Instead of the way scheduling worked for the 12-team leagues in UEFA Nations League, e.g.:

September: Cuba vs Canada; Cuba vs United States

October: Canada vs Cuba; United States vs Canada

November: United States vs Cuba; Canada vs United States

or

Sept: no one plays
Oct 8: can play us
oct 11: us play cuba
oct 15: cuba play canada
nov 12: can play us
nov 15: us play cuba
nov 18: cuba play canada

10 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

3 matches per FIFA window? Nope!

that's not 3 matches per window. it's 2 every team plays 2. 

also i see someone here is editing the wikipedia without knowing what's happening yet (this is why you can't cite wikipedia).

Edited by matty

3 hours ago, matty said:

It's 3 games for a group not 3 games for a team. Everyone still plays their 2 games (similar to a GC group stage but 

Do you think anyone is going to want to play games with only 3 days rest between them? And that's assuming players released by their clubs as of the morning of the 7th (FIFA min. req.) can make it to their game the night of the 7th. It's not happening.

15 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Do you think anyone is going to want to play games with only 3 days rest between them? And that's assuming players released by their clubs as of the morning of the 7th (FIFA min. req.) can make it to their game the night of the 7th. It's not happening.

gold cup. i agree it's unlikely but i don't think you can rule it out. 3 games between games isn't that tight but the positioning of the first game is the issue

1 hour ago, mrstepp817 said:

I am guessing this is the format to allow friendlies to be played outside of CONCACAF during the "off window" 

Don't Euro teams often play a friendly as a warm-up and then a competitive match in the same window?

23 minutes ago, matty said:

gold cup. i agree it's unlikely but i don't think you can rule it out. 3 games between games isn't that tight but the positioning of the first game is the issue

If it's unlikely why do you think it's going to happen? 

50 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

If it's unlikely why do you think it's going to happen? 

honestly the alternative formats make ZERO sense if the league is a serious competition or is trying to be like uefa's league. also there's a lot of date conflict among the d1 teams.

like if they've actually formatted it as a trio of 2 game series, that cause every team to have an open window, rather than a round robin that's fucked and it screws the smaller nations.

5 minutes ago, matty said:

honestly the alternative formats make ZERO sense if the league is a serious competition or is trying to be like uefa's league. also there's a lot of date conflict among the d1 teams.

like if they've actually formatted it as a trio of 2 game series, that cause every team to have an open window, rather than a round robin that's fucked and it screws the smaller nations.

1) It's CONCACAF. 

2) The scenario you mentioned makes even less sense.

BTW, what date conflicts are there? 

5 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

1) It's CONCACAF. 

2) The scenario you mentioned makes even less sense.

BTW, what date conflicts are there? 

No it doesn't. It's a 2 games played over 8 days (there's various historic examples of this being done in soccer including Canada)

point 1 is 100% valid

Conflicts include all pot a teams but Honduras saying Oct/Nov while Honduras said Sept-Nov and Martinique saying their doing Oct/Nov

56 minutes ago, matty said:

No it doesn't. It's a 2 games played over 8 days (there's various historic examples of this being done in soccer including Canada)

point 1 is 100% valid

Conflicts include all pot a teams but Honduras saying Oct/Nov while Honduras said Sept-Nov and Martinique saying their doing Oct/Nov

Giving a team 2 or 3 days rest is a virtual non-starter. Do you think anyone involved will want their teams playing on 3 days rest and risking injury? Then consider that on MD2 one of the teams will be fresh vs. 3 days rest and MD3 one team will have 7 days rest vs. 3 days. It's a bigger disadvantage than the other scenarios.

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Giving a team 2 or 3 days rest is a virtual non-starter. Do you think anyone involved will want their teams playing on 3 days rest and risking injury? Then consider that on MD2 one of the teams will be fresh vs. 3 days rest and MD3 one team will have 7 days rest vs. 3 days. It's a bigger disadvantage than the other scenarios.

dude i largely relented ages ago and am basically just defending it as a possibly and again look at any group stage tournament. i agree this is unlikely but it can't be taken off the table

14 hours ago, Zem said:

This will be the sequence of games played this fall, confirmed

Really like the format and order, CSA has to organize friendlies in Oct and Nov when playing the US to ensure right preparation, hope we play a top opposition from our own region 

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Really like the format and order, CSA has to organize friendlies in Oct and Nov when playing the US to ensure right preparation, hope we play a top opposition from our own region 

image.jpeg

I'd rather have the game in Havana first, and not after an hours-long flight. But it is what it is. 

6 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

image.jpeg

Quoting a wiki entry is not confirmation. 

Everything that has been communicated from CONCACAF has said the games will be in September, October, and November. Sorry Matty, it's a creative schedule you came up with but it's not happening.

And didn't the USSF spill the beans a few days back saying both Canada vs Cuba games would be happening in September? Or am I not remembering that correctly?

22 minutes ago, Kent said:

And didn't the USSF spill the beans a few days back saying both Canada vs Cuba games would be happening in September? Or am I not remembering that correctly?

You're right:

"Exact dates for the USA’s four home-and-away group stage matches have not been determined. Canada and Cuba will begin League A, Group A play in home and away matches against each other during the September FIFA international window."

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2019/03/28/02/05/20190327-news-mnt-concacaf-nations-league-2019-2020-draw