General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

46 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Couldn’t it be played in the estadio panamericano I’m pretty sure it has lights.

Why wouldnt they have played their games there the last 20 years instead of pedro marrero? Panamricano is 60 years newer. Though looking at pics online it looks in pretty rough shape for an early 90s stadium. 

Why would the US necessarily struggle against us in Canada? The reason they're poor away is due to the conditions, it's not like we're slumming it in TO. Obviously we would have an advantage playing at home but I don't think it's a big advantage like the CA teams have.

17 hours ago, Ngravs said:

What are we thinking there attendance will be vs the USA game? Will this new competition attract the everyday Joe. We haven't played the US for w while now, will that attract interest?  

I think playing the Americans plus the amount of goals we are scoring  should garner some solid interest.  Especially if we make it to semis and play an entertaining game against Mexico, win or lose, I could see the excitement building enough momentum for an excellent crowd.  

20 hours ago, Ngravs said:

What are we thinking there attendance will be vs the USA game? Will this new competition attract the everyday Joe. We haven't played the US for w while now, will that attract interest?  

Tell everyone it is the 'Road to 2022'

It really, sorta is....

So what are the options for Cuba, given the lighting issue and that both of their home games are scheduled for the evening? Where is the most likely location should the Cuban FA have to relocate? Port-au-Prince, Haiti maybe? Lights and direct flights from both Cubana and Air Canada.

18 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I’d say about 15-20k considering it’s a midweek game and could possibly drop closer to or below 15k in game day attendance (not ticket sales) if there’s bad weather.

There is absolutely zero chance we get less than 15K for a game against the USA. 

This is a 20+ game for sure.

We'll get 20k if Canada continues to do well in the Gold Cup. Min would be a respectable loss against Mexico in semis. Majority still believe Canada men are crap. Overshadowed by WWC and Raptors so far. 

Other than TFC fan boys coming out to see Bradley & Jozy, there isn't much the US offers to make the casuals interested or for Euro football followers. Bad weather and weekday night will also temper casuals. There isn't much buzz yet either on US forums on coming to the match. If the US does well in the Gold Cup (win it), then some might get their excitement levels back up again. 

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

What do you predict? Also what number wouldnt be sad? 

I don't live in Toronto so I have no idea what's going on over there but for me that game should be sold out or close to sold out

Euro snobs? People coming to watch Michael Bradley and Jody Altidore? please tell me these arent real things that would keep people from coming to this game

Edited by SpursFlu

The only difficulty in 'selling' this game is it is next to impossible to explain to people what the Nations League is.  I just started telling everyone it was a tournament for World Cup Qualification ...which isn't entirely untrue...maybe.  If a game against the USA takes any attendance hit at all, it will be because of this. I still talk to people who think our last four games in the nations league were just friendlies. 

Our attendance will take a hit. I no longer put up posters, advertise on social media, email market, answer 1000+ emails per game or set up tables to promote games.  No one else should do it either because as it is set up there is no light at the end of the tunnel.  

I am curious what the FG attendance would have been without the Davies effect. Given the saddest emails I have ever received were from people who wanted refunds when it turned out he was injured.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but if this is all true... why is the game in Toronto?

In Vancouver there would be no sell necessary. I would think the same would apply to Edmonton 

If people are Euro snobs how do they not get the Nations League Concept. They're literally doing the same thing in Europe

13 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm not trying to be a jerk but if this is all true... why is the game in Toronto?

In Vancouver there would be no sell necessary. I would think the same would apply to Edmonton 

If people are Euro snobs how do they not get the Nations League Concept. They're literally doing the same thing in Europe

I am also referring to people in Vancouver wrt to not knowing what the Nations League is.

The game is in Toronto because it is the best field in the country.   The players want to play on it. 

Here's how you sell the game.. tell people to watch the full US Panama broadcast tonight on FS1. Make sure they have a barf bag with them. If that isn't enough to make football fans come out to see us take down the Americans I dont know what would do it

23 minutes ago, admin said:

The game is in Toronto because it is the best field in the country.

Also the contract at BMO allows for the CSA to make more money / lose less money than at any other venue in the country.

Either way, I'm not convinced that a midweek October CNL match against the U.S. is a slam dunk sell out anywhere in Canada. There's literally no history to back it up.