General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

On big soccer some are talking about calling a B+ squad against us. I wish they would.

Some also see it as development first and winning second. I don’t think GB will see it that way, but we have more at stake than they do and that is a fact. So we’ll see how that suits us.

Not to get over confident, but I can see us surprising them at home, perhaps jumping out to an early lead and hanging on for a win. I think their centre backs are going to have trouble with David and Cavallini. Davies is going to cause problems, but they’ll be ready for that, much like we will plan to contain Pulisic (or at least try to). I am not convinced by the back line of either side, so I can see this one being a high scoring affair.

The return leg will be much tougher and probably a lot more cagey, both sides having gained experience against the other. The optimist in me wants to predict a draw, but a close 1 goal loss is what I expect. 

Both sides will beat Cuba, but by how much? As mentioned, we have more to play for than them, so perhaps we can put more goals past Cuba than them. If we split with them and beat Cuba by more, we are on our way to the final round in June, where more points, which we desperately need for the hex, are on the table.

Edited by Obinna

I don't think I have seen anyone confirm this. The CNL playoff semi final round will be seeded based on group winners' results in the group phase. Points, then goal difference, etc. 1v4 and 2v3.

So as we are likely looking at tight results against USA if we squeeze through, unless one of the other group winners muddles through we'll probably get Mexico in the semi-final.

See 12.8 and 12.9 of the regulations

https://www.concacafnationsleague.com/en/regulations

Edited by Redpunkfiddle

7 hours ago, Redpunkfiddle said:

I don't think I have seen anyone confirm this. The CNL playoff semi final round will be seeded based on group winners' results in the group phase. Points, then goal difference, etc. 1v4 and 2v3.

So as we are likely looking at tight results against USA if we squeeze through, unless one of the other group winners muddles through we'll probably get Mexico in the semi-final.

See 12.8 and 12.9 of the regulations

https://www.concacafnationsleague.com/en/regulations

Group C and D are going to be tight and I expect those winners to have less GD, if not less points, so whoever comes out of A will probably rank 2nd in the semi final round. Mexico will come out of group B with the no. 1 rank.

Group C Honduras, T&T, Martinique 

Groupe D Costa Rica, Curacao, Haiti

All those teams will take points off each other. There is no Cuba or Bermuda for the eventual group winner to beat up on.

Edited by Obinna

4 minutes ago, ardsa said:

Belize no showed for the game against French Guiana.

https://concacafnationsleague.com/en/article/concacaf-statement

It will be interesting to see why. May they didn't want to spend the money to travel to South America for a game that gets them no points?

Something about not being able to have their chartered flight allowed to land in French Guiana.

There's something very peak CONCACAF about a non-FIFA member being awarded a 3-0 forfeit victory on the opening day of the Nations League. 😂

Who knows if French Guiana will win their group in League B, but if they do, they qualify for the next Gold Cup and for League A of the next Nations League. I really hope we're still not dealing with some matches earning ranking points while others don't by the time the next Gold Cup and Nations League roll around.

Without getting ahead of ourselves with the Cuba matches.... 

Just watched Mexico vs USA (3-0), I know it's just a friendly, but if there was ever a time the USA looks vulnerable for us to get some results against them, it seems like now is the time. I think Berhalter is on a very short leash but I don't see them doing anything before Nations League. 

Mexico are sooooo good out wide, looking back I think we actually got the prep right vs them in 3-4-3, just a really unlucky break right before half. Lads should look back at that Mexico game with a lot of positives. Mexico clearly a bar higher then anyone in the region right now.

14 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Without getting ahead of ourselves with the Cuba matches.... 

Just watched Mexico vs USA (3-0), I know it's just a friendly, but if there was ever a time the USA looks vulnerable for us to get some results against them, it seems like now is the time. I think Berhalter is on a very short leash but I don't see them doing anything before Nations League. 

Mexico are sooooo good out wide, looking back I think we actually got the prep right vs them in 3-4-3, just a really unlucky break right before half. Lads should look back at that Mexico game with a lot of positives. Mexico clearly a bar higher then anyone in the region right now.

Remember, the USA had more possession and just as many shots on target as Mexico did.

We are still a big step behind the Yanks, I do hope we can pull something off though - it would be glorious.

10 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Remember, the USA had more possession and just as many shots on target as Mexico did.

We are still a big step behind the Yanks, I do hope we can pull something off though - it would be glorious.

I totally agree with you, I'm just saying now is looking like the optimal time for us to play USA and get a result (if it were to happen).

We also have better strikers 😎.

Edited by apbsmith

17 minutes ago, Shway said:

Also remember we played a Mexico "b" team. No chucky, no Chicharito, no Tecatito and others. 

Mexico is miles ahead in Concacaf, but like @Olympique_de_Marseillesaid we are far behind the US.... We'll need a historical result. 

Not sure Chicharito is "A" team as much anymore.  He got the start today/yesterday and scored but think Jimenez (who started against us) would be there regularly.  He certainly was getting more regular football and goals before the Gold Cup and after.   But we will see how Hernandez does at Sevilla. 

9 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not sure Chicharito is "A" team as much anymore.  He got the start today/yesterday and scored but think Jimenez (who started against us) would be there regularly.  He certainly was getting more regular football and goals before the Gold Cup and after.   But we will see how Hernandez does at Sevilla. 

You're right Jimenez is probably Tatas first choice - but Chicharito is no slouch. I think he's more dangerous to us than Jimenez. He's just so elusive 

Just now, Shway said:

You're right Jimenez is probably Tatas first choice - but Chicharito is no slouch. I think he's more dangerous to us than Jimenez. He's just so elusive 

He does make great runs, I saw another in the highlights.  I think it is about making the whole system work sometimes.  Just don't think he can do enough in the 4-3-3 they want to do or the 4-2-3-1 our manager wanted.  He needs another real striker with him, especially as he is slowing down a bit, which leaves your midfield open to decent teams. 

Generally spent a disappointing 2 years with my club side, and even at the World Cup, Mexico were probably my second side there. 

Biases cast off (as much as possible) Jimenez scares me more for club and country.  All about opinions, right?

Montserrat vs Dominican Republic just kicked off.  A stunning setting on a hilltop in the bright sunshine with the volcanic mountain on the right and the Atlantic Ocean on the horizon.  The English Championship's leading goalscorer Lyle Taylor starting upfront for Montserrat.  These are the two teams we need to take points off El Salvador.

21 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Montserrat vs Dominican Republic just kicked off.  A stunning setting on a hilltop in the bright sunshine with the volcanic mountain on the right and the Atlantic Ocean on the horizon.  The English Championship's leading goalscorer Lyle Taylor starting upfront for Montserrat.  These are the two teams we need to take points off El Salvador.

New CPL Stadium location? Does look lush tbf. 

49 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

could you get a screenshot?