Marcus Godinho

8 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He literally just played RB and won MOTM on Sunday.

I agree that he’s probably not best suited there but I feel he’s been unreasonably dropped by the MNT.  Just think 2 years ago he was a pencilled in starter at 22.. now dropped entirely. 

Ahh fair enough, did not get to watch this weekends match but I assumed he was playing the same position as the rest of the season. I think the "unreasonable" drop was more than likely due to a few natural RBs (like Godinho and ZBG) who weren't in the picture two years ago, and us becoming much more deep up the middle of the pitch. 

He definitely isn't the only one who has been left behind as a circumstance of our growing NT depth. Aird wasn't even in the GC 40man roster either (nor should he have been, but I wouldn't have imagined that two years ago). Two years ago we were just trying to fill out enough players to hit that 40 man depth chart, including an unattached Nicolas Galvis, an Andres Fresenga who was playing in the Uruguayan second division, and Milovan Kapor in Slovakia. 

Cordova has to be the harshest. He has Started 6 out of 14 this year and is on form. Given his versatility I thought he would be a lock. 

Godinho has 14 appearances in 32 chances (taking out his knee injury) with not all starts. 

I know Herdman has seen Godinho and ZBG up close to see their potential, he also knows what he would have with Petrasso. Still think it's harsh on Cordova but it is still early season for him and if he continues his form and minutes you would have to think he will be a lock for the Nations League games in the fall. 

20 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

The fallacy of these assessments however, are that we are mostly considering the few top teams in the league which are consistently qualifying for European football (where Celtic has struggled as of late). Prior to the last 5 years or so, there was a 10 year spell where Scotland's country coefficient was much closer to 10th than it was to 20th.

No I did not look at the UEFA Country or club coefficients, although I've done so in the past. Look there's 55 leagues in Europe, you slash that number by half and more or less that's where we should want our players to aspire to be, playing in 30 countries first divisions. I would Say Finland would be the standard, on par with CPL. But if that's the case, might as well stay home if no step up is given.

The goal would be to have our players in top 30 league environments, there's various leagues who are debatable but the majority who are competitive and aren't are self explanatory 

they need to play wherever they can and I think for Godihno the Scottish premiership is an adequate level for him, if he must move then it has to be a league similar in quality or a step up but not too much so that opportunities are scarce and it hurts his career. 

Edited by Blackjack15

14 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

Not our goal ^

Err... the CPL's ability to move home grown talent unto more competitive leagues is a good reflection on the state of the league (i.e. attract more Canadian talent away from other regional leagues *cough*MLS*cough), and it would bring in more $$$ for clubs... how can that not be anyone's goal?

• 1 month later...

Happy to here he signed on somewhere. No denying he has a solid skill set when going forward. 

This is a good league to help improve certain areas of his game. Here is hoping he can quickly establish himself there, stays healthy, and logs consistent minutes. 

No idea how this team lines up but imo,  he would be an excellent winger on a team that plays a 3-5-2.

Edited by apbsmith

This is the kinda stuff that makes you scratch your head though and I was worried about earlier.  So now does Godinho remain a MNT regular call up?  Because before we seemed to be averse to calling B3 defenders even though it’s our weakest position. 

Many on here are basing their opinion on him on the couple of matches they saw him play at the Gold Cup, he had a good spell with Hearts previously but was derailed by serious injury! He hasn't got back on track yet, maybe this move will help, I was surprised Herdman had him in the squad let alone starting him in a QF match!                             Here's some opinions from Hearts fans:

https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/183820-godhino-to-germany/

Edited by gator