Marcus Godinho

6 hours ago, shamrock said:

He should be considered for the U23 team (as he's getting too few minutes for a MNT call-up). Unless he's injured of course. 

Somewhat agree with this, but I'd still like to see him make the 40 man initial roster and go from there.

He's looked fine and did his job when he played for the CMNT, including when he played a back 3(mind you soft competition). 

I think of guys like MAK & CAV, who's club career really took off after a solid  Gold cup.  

In my eyes, no reason same thing couldn't happen here with Godinho, provided he gets selected of course.  The FB selection is starting to get deeper now for CMNT, will be interesting what Herdman decides.

4 hours ago, apbsmith said:

In my eyes, no reason same thing couldn't happen here with Godinho, provided he gets selected of course.  The FB selection is starting to get deeper now for CMNT, will be interesting what Herdman decides.

Getting deeper.... where? 

Name me 5 FB. 

I would agree we are much deeper than we have been in the past. Not hard when our right backs of the past cycles were Edgar and Henry.

At RB we have ZBG and Godinho. On the left side we have Adekugbe and Morgan (also de Jong). We also have Cordova who can play on both sides. 

This is much deeper than the positions have been in the past. 

3 hours ago, Corazon said:

I know its early in his RB career by Laryea has shown promise in his 3 starts for TFC.

I would like to see Cordova get minutes for Canada at RB as well.

Johnson can play there as well. It's true, the options are improving. 

12 hours ago, Shway said:

Getting deeper.... where? 

Name me 5 FB. 

5? How about 10+1 potential FBs/wingers :). Remember it's a 23 man gold cup roster where we have games vs Martinique & Cuba. Herdman has said he will be creative with his defender's against teams that bunker.

Adekugbe 

Cordova

Davies

Godinho

Guitierrez (non committed) 

Laryea

Levis

Johnson

Kaye

Morgan

ZBG

23 GoldCup spots:

3 GK, 5 FBs, 5 CBs, 7 mid, 3 fwd

I'm 100% supporting Godinho, like I do all CMNT, I even said I hope he can springboard a potential Gold Cup performance to sort out his club career. However, I agree with a few others, don't think his spot is guaranteed...that's for our manager to decide based on many different factors.

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

No disrespect but stalteri and kluklowski were better than any of them; so let’s not get carried away. We had better fullbacks before and still didn’t qualify. What I would agree is that we have better depth then before but not better starters. 

For sure, I think the convo was more towards a certain player automatically making the roster. 

For me, our backline as a whole is still our biggest concern. 

5 hours ago, apbsmith said:

5? How about 10+1 potential FBs/wingers :). Remember it's a 23 man gold cup roster where we have games vs Martinique & Cuba. Herdman has said he will be creative with his defender's against teams that bunker.

Adekugbe 

Cordova

Davies

Godinho

Guitierrez (non committed) 

Laryea

Levis

Johnson

Kaye

Morgan

ZBG

23 GoldCup spots:

3 GK, 5 FBs, 5 CBs, 7 mid, 3 fwd

I'm 100% supporting Godinho, like I do all CMNT, I even said I hope he can springboard a potential Gold Cup performance to sort out his club career. However, I agree with a few others, don't think his spot is guaranteed...that's for our manager to decide based on many different factors.

Maybe I got confused, never knew it was a Gold Cup list. It made sense when you listed primary midfield players in their secondary positions. 

I was more so asking who are natural FBs were, of your list there's 6 (and Richie is included). 

I also disagree that JH will take that many defenders. Its usually 4 real FBs and 4CBs. Its never midfielders being listed as defenders. Regardless if they can play the position. Cause if you do the math for the 10 forwards/mids somebody is getting snubbed. Hutchinson, Arfield, Piette, Osorio, Kaye, Hoilett, Teibert, David, Davies, Larin, Cavallini, Millar - you pick. 

For Godinho I agree that his spot doesnt look guaranteed, the advantage he has over the Cordova is that JH has called him up/seen him in camp. 

58 minutes ago, Shway said:

Maybe I got confused, never knew it was a Gold Cup list. It made sense when you listed primary midfield players in their secondary positions. 

I was more so asking who are natural FBs were, of your list there's 6 (and Richie is included). 

I also disagree that JH will take that many defenders. Its usually 4 real FBs and 4CBs. Its never midfielders being listed as defenders. Regardless if they can play the position. Cause if you do the math for the 10 forwards/mids somebody is getting snubbed. Hutchinson, Arfield, Piette, Osorio, Kaye, Hoilett, Teibert, David, Davies, Larin, Cavallini, Millar - you pick. 

For Godinho I agree that his spot doesnt look guaranteed, the advantage he has over the Cordova is that JH has called him up/seen him in camp. 

Agree 100%. 

This is the frustrating part of this program.  How can guys like Cordova ever show our program what their capabilities are firsthand without friendlies or training camps.

The more friendlies we have, the more invitations we give out, the better our chances of bringing on uncapped players such as Gutierrez, etc.

3 hours ago, Shway said:

For sure, no disagreement there,  I'm on the same page as you. When I gave the #s of position allocation, I should have marked with an asterix.  Especially with some midfielders being able to play FB on our 23 man roster. I personally think we see 7-9 defenders, I kind of threw 10 spots out there just to show that even with 10 spots for FBs & CBs there is some depth options for Herdman. Especially if Herdman is trying to expand the pool and wants to see/integrate some other players... However, that's a convo in itself with lack of friendlies..

All good man, I think we both slightly miss communicated. My original point was we have some depth/options at FB so making the 23 man gold cup roster is not a shoe in,  where you were talking about natural FBs...

Cheers

Edited by apbsmith

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

As much as I would like him to be featuring for Hearts I don't think he is in the plans by the looks of things, Craig Levein seems to not rate him as he did before, I don't rate Craig Levein as a manager as I did before, it's time to move on!

With a solid showing in the Gold Cup this summer anything can happen, his contract at Hearts is until 2020. He had a decent season accumulating 1000+ minutes total, main problems being plagued by injuries, not being allowed to play on turf and being dropped due to the starting RB Michael Smith playing well and locking down his spot after certain rotation

Quite honestly, he had some big games this year, vs Celtic and Rangers specially. Scoring and assisting in a few appearances, crazy how quickly things can change -> from making a impact on the XI to not even being on the match day game squad.

Lets not forget he's just 21 and this was a season of ups and downs (challenges) but he actually introduced himself in a big way stepping up in certain stretches 

Thankfully he has a EU passport (Portuguese parents) which allows him to be considered domestic and not take up a International spot; in my opinion he should just stay at Hearts and make this the defining season - he's playing for a top 6 club in the premiership (Top 25-30 League in Europe) so there's competition and he can be up to standard 

Would like to see him play more for Canada and that can help his club situation a lot, by him not being promised anything should make him more hungry rather than wanting to leave. His value can rise with a few good performances in international competition. However he should stay at Hearts I believe, it's far from a closed door / all footballers go through adversity specially at a young age, fully believe in him

Although should he get any offers, would be cool to see him play in Sweden (Allsvenkstan) being similar in level. I think League One could be another option, Primeira Liga would be too much of a step up even for a promoting side 

We'll just see how this unfolds

7 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

With a solid showing in the Gold Cup this summer anything can happen, his contract at Hearts is until 2020. He had a decent season accumulating 1000+ minutes total, main problems being plagued by injuries, not being allowed to play on turf and being dropped due to the starting RB Michael Smith playing well and locking down his spot after certain rotation

Quite honestly, he had some big games this year, vs Celtic and Rangers specially. Scoring and assisting in a few appearances, crazy how quickly things can change -> from making a impact on the XI to not even being on the match day game squad.

Lets not forget he's just 21 and this was a season of ups and downs (challenges) but he actually introduced himself in a big way stepping up in certain stretches 

Thankfully he has a EU passport (Portuguese parents) which allows him to be considered domestic and not take up a International spot; in my opinion he should just stay at Hearts and make this the defining season - he's playing for a top 6 club in the premiership (Top 25-30 League in Europe) so there's competition and he can be up to standard 

Would like to see him play more for Canada and that can help his club situation a lot, by him not being promised anything should make him more hungry rather than wanting to leave. His value can rise with a few good performances in international competition. However he should stay at Hearts I believe, it's far from a closed door / all footballers go through adversity specially at a young age, fully believe in him

Although should he get any offers, would be cool to see him play in Sweden (Allsvenkstan) being similar in level. I think League One could be another option, Primeira Liga would be too much of a step up even for a promoting side 

We'll just see how this unfolds

We shall see, it's not like Hearts have tons of depth at any position, injuries derailed a promising start in this last campaign, he will know the situation better than any of us obviously and hopefully makes a good decision, I agree a good Gold Cup could be huge to showcase himself!

5 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Being a bit nit-picky, but I'd assume you're making that assessment using the UEFA coefficient where Scotland is 27th. Using the UEFA coefficient, we might think that Iceland has a top 10 league in Europe lol. It would be better to just look at the country coefficient that considers the continental success of clubs within the country. That would put Scotland in 20th (although it can be argued that a second division like the Championship is higher tier). 

The fallacy of these assessments however, are that we are mostly considering the few top teams in the league which are consistently qualifying for European football (where Celtic has struggled as of late). Prior to the last 5 years or so, there was a 10 year spell where Scotland's country coefficient was much closer to 10th than it was to 20th.

He might not get the minutes he wants or ultimately needs at hearts. He will get chances though at a reasonably high level. 

He isnt moving up if he moves on imo. No one at a similar or high level is likely to buy a 2nd choice fullback at hearts to he their number one. The best he can hope for is another lower Scottish premiership club or MLS. 

Gold cup could certainly open up doors. I dont see him starting ahead of ZBG though.

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Herdman seems to like him but I wonder if that changes if he’s suddenly at Forge next year.  

This was one of the more controversial calls.  I don’t see how Godinho is preferred to Cordova for this tournament, or even Petrasso to be honest. 

I think the Petrasso at RB experiment is well in the past. He is playing a much more offensive role at Valour (as he did in the earlier stages of his career). He never looked too comfortable in the back. Regardless, I'd expect ZBG to be our starting there.

Edited by Pottsy3

1 minute ago, Pottsy3 said:

I think the Petrasso at RB experiment is well in the past. He is playing a much more offensive role at Valour (as he did in the earlier stages of his career). He never looked too comfortable in the back

He literally just played RB and won MOTM on Sunday.

I agree that he’s probably not best suited there but I feel he’s been unreasonably dropped by the MNT.  Just think 2 years ago he was a pencilled in starter at 22.. now dropped entirely. 

Edited by CanadaFan123