Marcus Godinho

4 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

He put in the low cross leading to the own goal as well. Good attacking play. Didn’t watch the game, just reading Twitter and watching highlights...

Saw a bit of the first half and all of the second. Very competitive game and the level of play was actually pretty high. At times I think Godinho struggled with the pace of play, but had some good moments also. Some excellent emergancy defending on one play, but some naive defending on others. Considering how good Rangers were though, I think he put in a decent performance. Commentators felt he shouldn't have been the one to come off, so that's complementary.

I think him and ZBG will be a good battle for minutes over the years at RB.

On a side note, red card aside, Arfield was very good. Really influential for Rangers.

4 hours ago, shamrock said:

He plays at a significantly higher level than ZBG. That doesn't say much about potential, but if he keeps getting minutes at Hearts, surely he must be our RB for the near-future. Btw he's still not officially cap tied as he only played in a friendly.  

I would say he's almost certain to be one of our RB for the near-future.

The level at which ZBG plays will change and likely soon. He captains Lyon 2, so I consider it probable that in the next year or two, he will either progress to the first team, or leave the club for another in the top two divisions of France. In either case, he'd be playing at a club level equal or higher than the SPL. That is assuming Godinho stays at Hearts, which I think he will.

Godinho at this point looks good enough to play at a club like Hearts, but needs to improve significantly before he outgrows such a club.

Edited by Obinna

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

I would say he's almost certain to be one of our RB for the near-future.

The level at which ZBG plays will change and likely soon. He captains Lyon 2, so I consider it probable that in the next year or two, he will either progress to the first team, or leave the club for another in the top two divisions of France. In either case, he'd be playing at a club level equal or higher than the SPL. That is assuming Godinho stays at Hearts, which I think he will.

Godinho at this point looks good enough to play at a club like Hearts, but needs to improve significantly before he outgrows such a club.

I agree.  Godinho has some upside but if he winds up leaving Hearts for a "bigger" club, then it can only be good for Canada.  But he still has a ways to go yet.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

There would be people on Kickback who would criticize Messi for not being technical enough if he were a Jambo.  Levein (manager) thinks he must be good enough if he’s going to start him instead of a Manchester United loaner.

It is a very harsh forum at times with lots of nasty arguments especially after a loss, there are some good posters on there however, that's why I visit, often it makes the V's board look quite civil!?

1 hour ago, gator said:

It is a very harsh forum at times with lots of nasty arguments especially after a loss, there are some good posters on there however, that's why I visit, often it makes the V's board look quite civil!?

PhillyYawnGuy should head over there to spread the good word of the MLS.

Edited by Ruffian

4 hours ago, Blackdude said:

As we all know, Scotland has the biggest draw. 

I remember driving back from Glasgow back to Edinburgh and listening to Radio Scotland.  It was just the craziest piece of radio I'd ever heard; think it was Derek Ferguson going all mental with the Motherwell comeback.

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, 1996 said:

A few weeks back Godinho was getting hammered on the Heart’s fan forums lol, now they love him again lol, good for Godinho keep it going son!

He's made 12 SPL appearances now with the club and it's looking like he may crack 20 before the season is done. 

20 SPL appearances for Hearts as a 21 year old Canadian right back. Not too shabby!

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

A few weeks back Godinho was getting hammered on the Heart’s fan forums lol, now they love him again lol, good for Godinho keep it going son!

Opinions are still split on him, the consensus seems to be he is getting back to pre injury form but has a ways to go!

https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/180814-match-ratings-v-the-bottom-six-vermin/

3 hours ago, gator said:

Opinions are still split on him, the consensus seems to be he is getting back to pre injury form but has a ways to go!

https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/180814-match-ratings-v-the-bottom-six-vermin/

That's putting it nicely! I'd say the consensus is he was the worst player on the pitch for Hearts, and is very suspect defensively. 

3 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

That's putting it nicely! I'd say the consensus is he was the worst player on the pitch for Hearts, and is very suspect defensively. 

I would take him being the worst starter on a team like Hearts then him being one of the best players on a Championship team like Aird any day.

3 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I would take him being the worst starter on a team like Hearts then him being one of the best players on a Championship team like Aird any day.

Is Aird the best player on his team or one of the best players in the whole division? His statistics are insane.

On 12/30/2018 at 5:39 PM, Stryker911 said:

Aird > Godihno for me until I see otherwise. I try not to put too much stock in the level a player is playing at (within reason). We've seen players like Di Chiara get minutes at high levels and not pan out. We also see guys like Gerba who never really played at a high level, but was an excellent player, or even Piette, who iirc was playing in the Spanish 3rd tier and stepped up nicely in MLS and the National Team.

Heck I even remember people not putting much stock in Cavallini because he was playing in that "backwater" Uruguayan league, but he's now a star in LigaMX.

13 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Aird > Godihno for me until I see otherwise. I try not to put too much stock in the level a player is playing at (within reason). We've seen players like Di Chiara get minutes at high levels and not pan out. We also see guys like Gerba who never really played at a high level, but was an excellent player, or even Piette, who iirc was playing in the Spanish 3rd tier and stepped up nicely in MLS and the National Team.

Heck I even remember people not putting much stock in Cavallini because he was playing in that "backwater" Uruguayan league, but he's now a star in LigaMX.

I agree. Is Arfield worse because he is now in Scotland? Is Hoilett better just because he is surviving in the premiership instead of lighting up the championship? I remember when people were talking about how Kaye wasn’t even a USL starter (to bad he is injured). 

But what is more important to me is the position that Godinho plays. RB depth is limited, but we have quite a few talented wingers. I would still like to give both players a good look though.