Marcus Godinho

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

I think this is injury relief more than anything with Guti out and Nerwinski currently having to slotting in at lb. Godinho's contract will only go to the end of the year with an option to extend. Good luck to him - hope he can find a place in the team.

Yeah, this was my thought. Brown has become the starter on the right for the Whitecaps and looked quite good. Gutierrez has been good on the left. Behind them, Gaspar is still trying to get back in on the right side while Nerwinski has been looking good on the left I  Gutierrez's absence. That's a lot of players for Godinho to fight his way past, barring more injuries.

• 3 weeks later...

Made his first appearance as a late game sub two matches ago vs RSL but even with the injuries (Gutierrez and Nerwinski), international absence (Brown), and passionless, sh*tty play (Gaspar), he remained on the bench while first Bikel and then last night Metcalfe (definitely not a RWB/RB) started.  I don't get the feeling that his stay in Vancouver will go on beyond this season.

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Cheap depth, needed Cancon guy.  Didn't really show me much, either.  I don't see him as more than a back up.

This is where I scratch my head, though. You've basically got first dibs as an organization over anyone even halfway promising from BC all the way through parts of Ontario, and a proper academy running for more than a decade now. And this is is the best we can do with a projected back up spot? A 24 year old limited-impact guy from Toronto's system? It fills a hole, yes, but it also potentially keeps someone more promising, someone you're developing yourself, from filling it. It shows a lack of faith in their own system to me. 

6 hours ago, nolando said:

This is where I scratch my head, though. You've basically got first dibs as an organization over anyone even halfway promising from BC all the way through parts of Ontario, and a proper academy running for more than a decade now. And this is is the best we can do with a projected back up spot? A 24 year old limited-impact guy from Toronto's system? It fills a hole, yes, but it also potentially keeps someone more promising, someone you're developing yourself, from filling it. It shows a lack of faith in their own system to me. 

Going back to Edgar and De Jong, this club in MLS times has liked to get Cancon with experience outside of NA, so I am not that surprised with the retention of Godinho.  That's why I made the wild speculation about Cordova ;)

I would like to see a BC born and bred player emerge with this club in some kind of regular contributing role, be it Baldi, Habibullah, or any of the loan rangers.  Here's hoping.  

12 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Going back to Edgar and De Jong, this club in MLS times has liked to get Cancon with experience outside of NA, so I am not that surprised with the retention of Godinho.  That's why I made the wild speculation about Cordova ;)

I would like to see a BC born and bred player emerge with this club in some kind of regular contributing role, be it Baldi, Habibullah, or any of the loan rangers.  Here's hoping.  

Not the Whitecaps don't share some responsibility for their struggles to get BC born kids to this level, but its not like BC born kids are really flourishing elsewhere. The province has struggled badly for a while now to produce talent. I'm hoping the new League 1 starts to help with that, in the same way that L1O has produced quality talent (with not all of it going to TFC).

43 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Not the Whitecaps don't share some responsibility for their struggles to get BC born kids to this level, but its not like BC born kids are really flourishing elsewhere. The province has struggled badly for a while now to produce talent. I'm hoping the new League 1 starts to help with that, in the same way that L1O has produced quality talent (with not all of it going to TFC).

BC sucks at producing men's players at the moment (and will for a long while yet).  The only MLS regular born and bred in BC is Waterman who, not surprisingly) wasn't in the Caps system.  

At least a see a few BCers emerging in the women's program (Huitema and Grosso) but it is Death Valley for the men. 

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

BC sucks at producing men's players at the moment (and will for a long while yet).  The only MLS regular born and bred in BC is Waterman who, not surprisingly) wasn't in the Caps system.  

At least a see a few BCers emerging in the women's program (Huitema and Grosso) but it is Death Valley for the men. 

Does Alphonso Davies count towards Alberta or BC? He joined the Whitecaps residency program when he was 14 so how do we draw the line for him?