David Edgar

Complete Homer

4 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I wish him all the best.  I hope he does well.  Is he eligible for the second leg of the Antigua tie?

From past CONCACAF champions leagues I’d say yes.  There were often times players would be added in between legs and they would play the second. 

• 10 months later...
6 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Edgar's best days are behind him. I mean at one time he was one of Canada's best center backs probably the best Canadian center back but now...I can't even recall the last time he was called up by the national team

Edgar played against New Zealand in 2018, and I think he was in the March camp for the French Guiana game in Van in 2019.  Ancient history I know.  

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Edgar played against New Zealand in 2018, and I think he was in the March camp for the French Guiana game in Van in 2019.  Ancient history I know.  

Even so Edgar is past it...he's done...he's 33 years old now

The last time he truly anchored our backline was the 2015 Gold Cup, when we crashed out in the groups with a dismal record. He was then dropped from the starting 11 by Floro for the Qualifiers that year, and the rest is history. Vitoria has the 'old head veteran defender' job on the CMNT now. 

• 5 months later...
6 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Best of luck to Canadian Soccer legend David Edgar as he announces his retirement at the end of the 2020 season today! Too many great memories for club and country!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIOf33hAK-R/?igshid=1cfw61x1647ea

More details here:

https://canpl.ca/video/forge-fc-defender-and-canmnt-veteran-david-edgar-announces-his-retirement

That injury during the off season as a result of the accident (in 2016?) really detailed his career.

Class guy the few times I met him and with a good sense of humour.

When he was about 10 and I was 18 we had the same coach. He was playing up an age group and my coach mentioned how good he was a few times, and how he trained with Newcastle a bit through his fathers connections. Both teams this coach was coaching went to a tournament in Kingston so I saw him there for the first time.

After that summer I didn’t here about him again until I was watching highlights. I am a Man U fan but one way or another I missed THAT game, saw the highlights and I went from pissed off that they gave up an equalizer to “HOLY SHIT DID HE JUST SAY DAVID EDGAR!?!?” in about 1 second.

I’ll always have a soft spot for him. Best of luck tonight and best of luck with whatever comes after!

I had a good chance to speak with him at our STH celebration with the team last season, when I told him I was a QPR fan his response was "QPR? Fuck Off" 😀, all in good fun, he talked about playing at Loftus Road and how close the fans were to the pitch!  

I mentioned previously but I will repeat the conversation, in the final vs Cavalry their best chance was a cross that sailed over his head, it looked like he had mistimed his jump, his story was he knew he couldn't reach the ball so he timed his jump to throw the striker off, on further review if you watch the play that is exactly what happened!

7 hours ago, gator said:

his story was he knew he couldn't reach the ball so he timed his jump to throw the striker off, on further review if you watch the play that is exactly what happened!

This is very believable to me. I am much worse than any player that ever got paid to play, and I am a bit on the short side. I have more than once gone to a spot where I knew I couldn’t get high enough to head the ball in order to draw my taller defender there and fake a jump, only to turn around and go for the ball after it has sailed over his head. Went in on a breakaway and scored like that once. If I can pull that off, I 100% believe Edgar can against pros.

• 4 months later...