David Edgar

Complete Homer

I love Edgar's consistent commitment to the MNT program. To me he has nothing left to prove, so go ahead and cashout wherever that is. At 31, sign with whoever is willing to give him the longest and biggest contract. 

The reality is, his career has been on a downward spiral ever since that catastrophic accident. He hasnt been able to return to the level needed to be given a sniff. Yes his leadership, and experience is valuable to the young boys.

But you gotta think Herdman is going to be more willing to call up a player in the CPL, rather than 5th tier England. Like you gotta think Ledgerwood, and De Jong would be picked over Edgar now just for the CPL clout. 

.... Oh yea testimonial talks need to stop lol

12 hours ago, Grizzly said:

In a best case scenario we would not have to select him again other than possibly for a testimonial game because his career is on the downside and hopefully we have younger and better players to replace him. I don't think he ever got back to 100% after injuring his knee when he got hit by a car. Still he has been a good and loyal soldier for the NT so no reason not to treat him with respect or tell him he is finished. If he is playing lower division I doubt he will expect to be called again and one never knows what can happen in regards to injuries or things like playing on a non-FIFA date (ok I am dreaming here, we do not even play on FIFA dates but as a hypothetical it is possible) where we might need to call players who are not our first choices. Plus it is always possible even if unlikely that he gets his career going again and plays at a higher level.

You never rule out anybody from an NT perspective.  If a guy can contribute to our NT, he'll get the call, as he should.  We're not in a position to rule anybody out.

https://www.hartlepoolunited.co.uk/news/2019/march/080319-david-edgar-video-interview-about-his-move-to-hartlepool-united/

^ worth the watch & read

After all the injuries and at 31 be nice to see him healthy & playing constantly again. In my opinion, still has gas in the tank and the desire to play is still there. Has had a pretty cool pro career over the years. Wishing him the best.

So no team in the CPL or even the USL could pay him what this lower tier English team is paying him, can’t be making more than 80 grand Canadian playing at this level in England? I’m surprised no CPL team went after him, with his experience and name recognition would have been good for the CPL in many ways, unless he just wanted to go back England .

19 minutes ago, 1996 said:

So no team in the CPL or even the USL could pay him what this lower tier English team is paying him, can’t be making more than 80 grand Canadian playing at this level in England? I’m surprised no CPL team went after him, with his experience and name recognition would have been good for the CPL in many ways, unless he just wanted to go back England .

From watching the interview I get the impression that he wanted to go back to England no matter what. I feel like his goal is to impress enough at Hartlepool that league one teams or higher come calling. CPL teams probably did inquire and he said just that. 

Edited by Alex

2 hours ago, apbsmith said:

https://www.hartlepoolunited.co.uk/news/2019/march/080319-david-edgar-video-interview-about-his-move-to-hartlepool-united/

^ worth the watch & read

After all the injuries and at 31 be nice to see him healthy & playing constantly again. In my opinion, still has gas in the tank and the desire to play is still there. Has had a pretty cool pro career over the years. Wishing him the best.

Yeah, hopefully hits the ground running.  With a little luck, some good form and keeping healthy he's still relatively young enough to find himself moving up the leagues quickly.  Fingers and toes crossed. 

• 4 months later...
52 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Edgar and Vitoria are the same age.  Edgar now plays CPL, and Vitoria plays in the Portuguese Top Tier.

Edgar has no business in the CMNT set up ahead of Vitoria.  I won't be surprised at anything "Crazy" John Herdman decides to do.  Perhaps he considers both leagues to be in the same "tier".

We'll see how much Vitoria "plays".

It's not just about what club or league a player is in. It's about their form and how they fit into the group. Nothing against Vitoria, but we know that Edgar is valuable to the group as a leader and there is nothing to suggest Vitoria would be an upgrade on David in that regard.

On that basis alone, he is ahead of Vitoria right now. However, if Vitoria nails down a starting spot and is playing well in Portugal, then we can have the conversation about him supplanting Edgar in the hierarchy.

We must also see how Edgar does at Forge before he re-enters the national team picture. Leadership is all well and good, but if you're out of form and won't see the field the benefit of leadership has a ceiling, right?

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I wish him all the best.  I hope he does well.  Is he eligible for the second leg of the Antigua tie?

Not too sure about that