David Edgar

Complete Homer

1 hour ago, fil said:

https://canpl.ca/article/report-david-edgar-considering-cpl-move-after-recent-sunderland-trial

Looks like Valour FC or Calvary might be his next destination...

Nah, unlikely those two were there to scout someone as known as Edgar (in a trial for another club no less).  Could be anyone but I’m hoping it’s Halifax - they could use a star/name. 

Edited by Keegan

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, toontownman said:

My favourite part is how they refer to David as "It". 

I hope it works out for him but at the same time I'd love to see him in the CPL. Having him and dejong in the league would help further with credibility. 

Perhaps a little disappointing but not all surprising is that I think a few of the veteran Canadian guys that we hoped to see in CPLs inaugural season (Ricketts, Edgar, etc) are going to see how the league develops after year 1 or 2 before they jump in. 

On 2/14/2019 at 4:19 PM, jpg75 said:

So not only does the tweet not tell you which club it is, but the article being linked refers to the club as "City" and "The Bantams".

For those of you just as confused as me the club is Bradford City.

I'll admit it, it's a bad tweet. It comes with the territory, when you give access to the twitter account to dozen different contributors all across the world, with varying abilities to speak English and perhaps improvable social media skills. 

Nevertheless, your comment on Valentines Day no less, is a perfect illustration of what a negative & viscous person you are, at least online. In all these years you have never said anything positive about the work we do at Canucks Abroad, yet you are always the first one to point out its faults, no matter how little.

I hope your little stabs, and the resulting clicks of "approval" make you happy. But ask yourself, what has been your contribution to Canadian soccer? Has it helped grow the game, or at least the community here?

In my view, it's people like you that make this forum such a toxic mess that results in many good people leaving. Luckily we now have more positive alternatives to find information, such as the #CanPL discord.

1 hour ago, Fussball_eh said:

I'll admit it, it's a bad tweet. It comes with the territory, when you give access to the twitter account to dozen different contributors all across the world, with varying abilities to speak English and perhaps improvable social media skills. 

Nevertheless, your comment on Valentines Day no less, is a perfect illustration of what a negative & viscous person you are, at least online. In all these years you have never said anything positive about the work we do at Canucks Abroad, yet you are always the first one to point out its faults, no matter how little.

I hope your little stabs, and the resulting clicks of "approval" make you happy. But ask yourself, what has been your contribution to Canadian soccer? Has it helped grow the game, or at least the community here?

In my view, it's people like you that make this forum such a toxic mess that results in many good people leaving. Luckily we now have more positive alternatives to find information, such as the #CanPL discord.

You should look in the mirror! There was nothing personal in jpg's comment merely a criticism which you admit was justified. Comments like yours above are actually what is wrong with the forum so lets stop this line of attack right now before this thread degenerates.

Edited by Grizzly

20 hours ago, Fussball_eh said:

Wow, someone's still pissed about me calling them out. From day one you've been all about your little website and what the V's can do for you instead of the other way around.

You want to do something for Canadian soccer? Create some real fucking content instead of retweeting all the time. When we participated in the first installment of Canucks Abroad we routinely interviewed players and posted them here. We tracked the players on this site, posted schedules with TV channels the games could be viewed in Canada, posted updates etc. and did it all as part of the Voyageurs.

I'd also like to point out members of your crew are routinely guilty of reposting on here without giving credit to the OP's - i'll make sure to point them out every time from now.

edit: Buzz, Toje - sorry guys didn't realize you were working with CA. My comments were not intended for you, keep up the good work with updates.

Edited by jpg75

12 hours ago, Grandbloke said:

Can’t blame a player for trying to get a contract that would no doubt pay him substantially more than in CPL.

Alas, he would have had to live in Bradford. Besides the curry (which is brilliant) there really is nothing much positive going on in that down and out part of the world.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, KW519 said:

Idk if it's depressing for David, maybe for us though. There's a lot of talent in the 5th tier. Playing against strikers like Adam Rooney and Jay Simpson wouldn't be the worst thing for him at this stage in his career

It's depressing for me. I'd love him to play in the CPL and the fact that he may take a gig in the National League instead stings a little bit.

5 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

It's depressing for me. I'd love him to play in the CPL and the fact that he may take a gig in the National League instead stings a little bit.

Completely understandable. He's just holding off on CPL to be the first player signed to the KW club ?

6 hours ago, Vince193 said:

If he signs in the 5th tier, if I'm Herdman I tell him he's done with the NT. Which he could already be at his age.

Well then CPL players are done too, since Calgary is signing a guy from the 6th/7th division and others are coming from lower down the European chain. Be careful.

7 hours ago, Vince193 said:

If he signs in the 5th tier, if I'm Herdman I tell him he's done with the NT. Which he could already be at his age.

There is rarely any reason to tell any player he is done with the NT unless there are discipline problems. Maybe in a case where a player wanted to take a higher paying lower division contract over a first division contract a national team manager might use that as a threat to convince him to stay in the first division but even in that case a higher division contract needs to be available which does not seem to be the case here. At this point Edgar will likely take the best paying and longest term contract he can get as he is at the end of his career. 

In a best case scenario we would not have to select him again other than possibly for a testimonial game because his career is on the downside and hopefully we have younger and better players to replace him. I don't think he ever got back to 100% after injuring his knee when he got hit by a car. Still he has been a good and loyal soldier for the NT so no reason not to treat him with respect or tell him he is finished. If he is playing lower division I doubt he will expect to be called again and one never knows what can happen in regards to injuries or things like playing on a non-FIFA date (ok I am dreaming here, we do not even play on FIFA dates but as a hypothetical it is possible) where we might need to call players who are not our first choices. Plus it is always possible even if unlikely that he gets his career going again and plays at a higher level.

Edited by Grizzly