Ottawa CPL Club

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

You made me google it lol

Clubs like Everton and Lazio...I'm embarrassed to say that in my noob years, didn't know they were in Liverpool and Rome haha

Just for pedantic accuracy's sake....both Everton and Lazio are named for their geographical locations. Everton is a district of Liverpool and Lazio is the name of the region surrounding Rome.

Not going to lie, I'll be sad to see the Fury brand go if that turns out to be true. It's a known quantity in the community and certainly built a name for itself these last few years. I'll never forget cheering on the Fury during their 2014 friendly against Rangers, or their 2015 NASL semi-final against Minnesota United. This is the club that really helped me embrace local football and got me so passionate about growing the game in Canada through the CPL.

Despite the immense anger I have with OSEG and JDG over the nonsense last year, I was really hoping I could keep cheering for my club. Sigh. 

Now then, back to my tempered enthusiasm for a return to pro footie in Ottawa while trying not to get my hopes up again only to have them dashed aside. 

Edited by m-g-williams

4 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Not going to lie, I'll be sad to see the Fury brand go if that turns out to be true. It's a known quantity in the community and certainly built a name for itself these last few years. I'll never forget cheering on the Fury during their 2014 friendly against Rangers, or their 2015 NASL semi-final against Minnesota United. This is the club that really helped me embrace local football and got me so passionate about growing the game in Canada through the CPL.

Despite the immense anger I have with OSEG and JDG over the nonsense last year, I was really hoping I could keep cheering for my club. Sigh. 

Now then, back to my tempered enthusiasm for a return to pro footie in Ottawa while trying not to get my hopes up again only to have them dashed aside. 

It’s always sad when something you get emotionally invested in ends, but I really hope these rumours are true; you Ottawa fans deserve a pro soccer club. OSEG wasn’t the right partner. If it’s true that it’s a La Liga club that’s part of the ownership group, that’s a big deal. They’d have the know how to make something like this really work. 

Has anyone told Atletico about the $9M buy-in? 😉

(That was tongue-in-cheek, for those that were about to flame me. And also, if all this happens in Ottawa, would anyone be surprised if other major footie players start looking at Vancouver, Montreal, and Quebec? And would $9M still be ‘crazy’, or would it be more like a bargain? Keeping in mind that CPL is literally the last greenfield soccer investment opportunity in the developed world that operates by European rules, that buys and sells players inter-league, that develops players for profit and for export, and that actually operates clubs, not simply call them clubs. Rant over. Sorry.)

I'd just like to point out that on a personal level it's only the 15th of January and I'm already done with 2020.  DONE.  I thought it was going to be a grand year but only two weeks in I find myself wondering "what the Hell was I thinking?"   But now there is all this thick, black, smoke, seeming to indicate that quite the fire is burning in the Ottawa Valley.  There might yet be hope for 2020 after all. 

Even if there isn't a team in Ottawa for the 2020 season if this all comes off even HALF as good as its sounding this will be a defining event for the young Canadian Premier League.  One of those battlefield victories that really changes everything that comes afterwards. 

It's all still wait and see but Geezus, a lot of eyes wll be waiting to have that look see over the next few weeks.  And maybe 10X as many afterwards. 

Edited by Cheeta

33 minutes ago, Cblake said:

It will be interesting to see who the local partners are , those that will actually be managing the team? Wonder if OSEG could be involved from a sales and marketing aspect, collecting a management fee?  Can not see Athletico running it from Spain.

How would y'all feel about JDG being back involved given his attitude (whether he was a puppet or not) towards CPL x Ottawa?

8 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

It’s always sad when something you get emotionally invested in ends, but I really hope these rumours are true; you Ottawa fans deserve a pro soccer club. OSEG wasn’t the right partner. If it’s true that it’s a La Liga club that’s part of the ownership group, that’s a big deal. They’d have the know how to make something like this really work. 

Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm already over the moon at the prospect of a CPL team finally being in Ottawa. As soon as everything gets confirmed, I'll be one of the first to get season tickets (something I could never justify with the NASL/USL, just given the sheer number of teams I couldn't care less about). I wish it had worked out with OSEG and the Fury, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. 

As for JDG: No. Non. Nein. Nee. Nyet. NAY NAY. 

Too much bad blood and needless animosity. He's made his bed, now he has to lie in it. 

Edited by m-g-williams

38 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'm not thrilled with this type of naming convention, but I'm not against it fully either.

I'm hopeful that given the (relatively) common nature of Atlético's strip that Macron can turn it around in fairly short order.

Edited by Andrew W
I'm a dumbass

3 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

'll be one of the first to get season tickets (something I could never justify with the NASL/USL, just given the sheer number of teams I couldn't care less about). I wish it had worked out with OSEG and the Fury, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. 

As for JDG: No. Non. Nein. Nee. Nyet. NAY NAY. 

Too much bad blood and needless animosity. He's made his bed, now he has to lie in it. 

You will have to beat me to the head of the line 😎 Agree with everything else, I went to as many NASL games as I could, never went to a USL game, had no interest in the league.  The only game I went to was the Canadian Championship game against HFX.

The one big concern I have is how committed Atletico will be to this project if it doesn't meet their expectations.  Most other clubs in this league have their success (and the success of the league) as their main focus; for Atletico this is more of a side gig.  OSEG support seemed to be a great thing for the Fury Academy and the Fury Women's side, but look how quickly that dried up when things got tough.  Hopefully Atletico isn't too quick to take their ball and go home if things go sideways.

The other concern I have is how much independence this club will have from Atletico.  Others will know better than I would about how things stack up with their network of other clubs.

A lot of effort has gone into avoiding the appearance of a development league.  It would be a shame if this Ottawa side essentially turned out to be a development club.

I don't understand the hate towards JDG. He was an employee who was told he would lose his job if Fury lost their license and said things that weren't that bad. The Bekker being the only player they wantes wasn't crazy since a lot of them hadn't played  a decent level pro or were coming off lacklustre season.