Ottawa CPL Club

52 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Jeff Hunt, managing partner of the club, confirmed the name late last week.

But they are unveiling it next week. The new owner is doing this, not the local partner. Which means it is still hidden. 

In any case, listening to Clanachan, he could not even pronounce the name of the stadium in Madrid or the name of the Atlético CEO, he botched his way through everything. Makes me wonder how precise these guys are. I may be wrong, but I won't be surprised if they'd made a few errors along the way. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

15 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But they are unveiling it next week. The new owner is doing this, not the local partner. Which means it is still hidden. 

In any case, listening to Clanachan, he could not even pronounce the name of the stadium in Madrid or the name of the Atlético CEO, he botched his way through everything. Makes me wonder how precise these guys are. I may be wrong, but I won't be surprised if they'd made a few errors along the way. 

How is it hidden if an owner of the team goes on local radio and confirms the name? Not a very good way to hide it!

5 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

How is it hidden if an owner of the team goes on local radio and confirms the name? Not a very good way to hide it!

How do they unveil something that isn't hidden?

And how do you know he's an owner? They haven't unveiled the %s yet. 

How do you know they got the name of the team right if they can't even pronounce it? 

What sort of partner goes about tipping off information the owner hasn't unveiled yet? 

Am I saying I have my doubts about whether Hunt got it exactly right, and that maybe we should wait, although of course it doesn't matter? Maybe he did get it right, since you're dealing with local designers and printers who may leak information they might have let him be the incontinent leaking one instead. 

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How do they unveil something that isn't hidden?

Well it's a "club" unveiling so it's more than just the name. And it happens quite regularly in the sports world where information is leaked or released before "official" announcements.

And how do you know he's an owner? They haven't unveiled the %s yet.

Because he said so in the interview, have you listened to it?

How do you know they got the name of the team right if they can't even pronounce it? 

Who are you referring to as "they?" Hunt? He seemed to pronounce it correctly to me, although I don't live in Spain ;)

What sort of partner goes about tipping off information the owner hasn't unveiled yet? 

Jeff Hunt does. It's no surprise that the name is what is, it follows the same convention as other Atletico clubs, so it's not like he gave a huge scoop. And I suspect he confirmed the name when he was asked about it because he felt he needed to give up some information, that's the dynamic, trade information for exposure.

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Well it's a "club" unveiling so it's more than just the name. And it happens quite regularly in the sports world where information is leaked or released before "official" announcements.

Because he said so in the interview, have you listened to it?

Who are you referring to as "they?" Hunt? He seemed to pronounce it correctly to me, although I don't live in Spain ;)

Jeff Hunt does. It's no surprise that the name is what is, it follows the same convention as other Atletico clubs, so it's not like he gave a huge scoop. And I suspect he confirmed the name when he was asked about it because he felt he needed to give up some information, that's the dynamic, trade information for exposure.

All I'm trying to say is that maybe, before closing the thread, wait for the name to be unveiled officially. Although of course they could always correct the other thread name too. 

I'm also expressing doubts about Hunt and perhaps more so the CPL people. They are doing a good job in spite of a high frequency of suspect comments and opinions. Which make me think they haven't got some of the details right

You have the ground, the football infrastructure, and an available player pool. The missing ingredient they are rushing ahead without is fans, but hopefully there are 5,000 or so willing to give this a shot on short notice.

I've speculated widely on what this is, but I'm fairly confident it is not a scouting mission. Have any players come through the Mexican side to the big club?

2 hours ago, shamrock said:

Looks like a rushjob. Never a big fan of clubs starting / owning other clubs. More often than not they're not viable in the long run (or sold at best). My guess is they're hoping for a Davies or David to appear within a couple of years. 

They almost immediately took on loan an Uruguayan striker from San Luis, Nicolas Ibañez, then sent him back.

But of course there is a closer comparative level. Maybe a young AtSanLuis player could find minutes at Ottawa. Even so: what is a higher level, Mexico 2nd tier or CPL? Would you really drop players 2 divisions down to get minutes if they were not u-21s or younger?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist