Ottawa CPL Club

Le Fury, c’était le projet de John Pugh. Je vais prendre le relais. Je n’ai pas perdu ma passion du sport.

The Fury was John Pugh’s project. I’m going to take the reigns (?). I haven’t lost my passion for sport.

À ceux qui disent qu’il se fait tard pour mettre une équipe professionnelle sur le terrain dès avril 2020, Hunt répond que le club européen a toutes les ressources nécessaires pour meubler un alignement en un rien de temps.

For those who say it’s late to put a professional team on the field for April 2020, Hunt responds that the European club has all the resources necessary to put things together in no time.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

44 minutes ago, johnyb said:

I agree with him on this one. Diving in Soccer is an embarrassment to the sport and is one of the few things about the sport that needs to be fixed.

If you want I can try to argue (or explain) why diving in soccer is more natural and much less shameful than embellishment in hockey or, more flagrant, flopping in basketball. It has to do with a loose ball that is not held and manipulating it with the same instruments you use to keep balance (feet, legs).

You watch b-ball now and everytime a player drives to the hoop he screams, as if hit, or touched, whether true or not. Arms flail. Only because the game is changing and has gone outside this has not gone overboard, but it still happens 20-odd times a game. Or maybe more. Then there are those threes taken with little time left on the shot clock, in forced position, and the shooter trying to buy a foul by kicking out his feet or leaning into a legit defensive move (referring especially to you know who).

Being obsessed about diving in soccer, over and above other problems in the game, is simply to have a personal complex, it is not the sport's problem.

In any case, what we got from Clanachan trying to dictate the game at the start of last season was a bunch of terrible challenges and violent plays, many of which were not sanctioned on the field. Defying the rules of the game. It was irresponsible of Clanachan to try to condition a way of playing, through reffing, that resulted in violation of FIFA rules. Irresponsible? The refs should have told him to screw off, that they had an obligation to the rules of the game, not some Commissioner making up alternatives. Fortunately the problem was fixed by the end of May and refs did their job, for the most part, excepting a few notorious games and plays.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You do have to consider that if At Madrid were to have a rough patch in terms of results, and their revenue fell, they could respond by calling in all bets and pulling out of investments that meant less to their immediate fan and sponsorship base.

This is exactly what happened with Rayo OKC. The Spanish club got relegated, had a turnover in upper management, and they decided to retrench and cut OKC adrift. As much as I want soccer in Ottawa, I'm worried about this eventuality.

2 hours ago, Initial B said:

This is exactly what happened with Rayo OKC. The Spanish club got relegated, had a turnover in upper management, and they decided to retrench and cut OKC adrift. As much as I want soccer in Ottawa, I'm worried about this eventuality.

I used to hear Barça board members going on about having an MLS team, and they clearly had no idea what they were talking about. Starting with what to do with a massive Nike deal in a league that is all Adidas. I think they simply do not think it through. Having multiple teams does not really help Manchester City, unless it allows for a stronger financial base; fan bases are different, I bet there are more United fans who go to NYCFC games than City fans. City if Puma and NYCFC in the Adidas deal, can't imagine either brand is happy with sharing the client.

Maybe if you are Red Bull it is different. 

I honestly do not understand what Atletico thinks they are going to get out of this. Maybe they think they can drive some merchandising, I don't get the business side of it at all. 

3 hours ago, Initial B said:

I speculate, or well would hope, that given all that talk by the league about a 10 year plan, and getting commitment from owners to be willing to make losses for a significant time, they could get the same commitment from Atletico. But wonder what that might look like? Investments up front? Contract with penalties for pulling out?

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

...I honestly do not understand what Atletico thinks they are going to get out of this. Maybe they think they can drive some merchandising, I don't get the business side of it at all. 

Think it's safe to assume that Mediapro will have been heavily involved and at the very least will have encouraged Atletico to get involved. Until/unless we are able to follow the money a bit more clearly it's probably unwise to speculate any further.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think it's safe to assume that Mediapro will have been heavily involved and at the very least will have encouraged Atletico to get involved. Until/unless we are able to follow the money a bit more clearly it's probably unwise to speculate any further.

So this is the time when it's inappropriate to speculate on something that we know nothing about? Mate, have you seen your posting history?

*can someone whom he hasn't put on ignore please quote this so the dickhead might see this. 😉 

Edited by SthMelbRed

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

So this is the time when it's inappropriate to speculate on something that we know nothing about? Mate, have you seen your posting history?

*can someone whom he hasn't put on ignore please quote this so the dickhead might see this. 😉 

The entire board speculates on things we know nothing about, and has for decades. So basically you are calling all of us dickheads. Including yourself. Good show.

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The entire board speculates on things we know nothing about, and has for decades. So basically you are calling all of us dickheads. Including yourself. Good show.

I'm calling the guy who endlessly speculates negatively on CanPL topics, now calling for restraint on speculating on a positive development the dickhead. But well done on your excellent reading comprehension, there.

38 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm calling the guy who endlessly speculates negatively on CanPL topics, now calling for restraint on speculating on a positive development the dickhead. But well done on your excellent reading comprehension, there.

Of your last twenty posts, half have some factual base, half are speculative.

And whenever you get in a hole, you taunt the other poster with your typical "Have your been hanging out with the Parrot?" or similar, your go-to argument. When you are as in the sky as he is. 

So speculation, trolling, cheap shots--and then the other half worthwhile informed posts. I can understand why you feel comfortable on this board, I do too.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

He's not far from the truth though 😛

I'm totally in favour of the speculation, since it is fun. What was good about the whole Atletico Madrid case is that we would never have guessed. Except for that one post, after the fact, when someone said he knew that AM people were in Ottawa six weeks ago. Why didn't that guy tell us then?

5 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm pretty sure he's put everyone on ignore and is merely conversating with himself but I'm sure having said that I'll be banned by one of the administrators again for violating his free speech rights. Oh well 🖕

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm totally in favour of the speculation, since it is fun. What was good about the whole Atletico Madrid case is that we would never have guessed. Except for that one post, after the fact, when someone said he knew that AM people were in Ottawa six weeks ago. Why didn't that guy tell us then?

Without wanting to give myself too much credit (partially because I was very much grasping at straws), I did actually suggest Atletico twice 😛 (after the 'unnamed Euro team coming to Ottawa' rumours really picked up of course, I definitely would not have guessed that a month ago) 

On 1/13/2020 at 6:59 PM, Viruk42 said:

I'm wondering if it's Atletico Madrid? They're already part owners of Atletico San Luis in Mexico and previously were part owners of RC Lens in France and Atletico de Kolkata in India - having said that, the fact that they no longer own two foreign teams does suggest they may not be interested in owning others / may not be the best owners to have....

On 1/15/2020 at 1:34 PM, Viruk42 said:

Ya, I've seen Lim and Valencia mentioned online. I'm still wondering about Atletico Madrid, since they part-own a Mexican side and have previously part-owned Indian and French teams.

Edited by Viruk42

11 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

Without wanting to give myself too much credit (partially because I was very much grasping at straws), I did actually suggest Atletico twice 😛 (after the 'unnamed Euro team coming to Ottawa' rumours really picked up of course, I definitely would not have guessed that a month ago) 

Well then you nailed it and I missed it, but good show. I'm impressed. 

Now we have to come up with a new question: could At Madrid have paid something to OSEG for them to pull out of Fury, abandon the USL deal and leave a clean path for the new owners to step in? Or put down some kind of guarantee early on, which would explain why so many players are still available?

Am I excited about this potential development? Yes.

Am I refusing to get my hopes up after having been burnt? Definitely.

My two cents: With every passing week, I ask myself if there is still enough time. I am pretty concerned about a botched new launch. I want professional soccer in Ottawa now, but I also want something that works.

I do not like the idea of jumping-in halfway through the season. Frankly, suppose a team joins only for the Fall, and ends up winning the championship (wtv form that takes next year)? Why even play a Spring season then. Full season or nothing IMO.

Finally, re: name. I think someone mentioned it at some point, but considering it's unlikely that the team would not have something that references Atleti pretty strongly, I actually do enjoy AtleticOttawa. Would also kinda fit the CPL mantra of slightly funky names.

26 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well then you nailed it and I missed it, but good show. I'm impressed. 

Now we have to come up with a new question: could At Madrid have paid something to OSEG for them to pull out of Fury, abandon the USL deal and leave a clean path for the new owners to step in? Or put down some kind of guarantee early on, which would explain why so many players are still available?

A rumour I saw on Twitter is that Athletico first visited the City in mid November. The Fury announced they were calling it quits around November 8. 

CONCACAF claims that Fury didn't properly fill out the forms for their sanctioning. Could form a nice conspiracy theory from that alone. 

The sale of the Fury USL rights to Miami FC happened in December. Figure by then they had to know what was happening. 

Edited by narduch

I don't think that we can underestimate the role of Julian de Guzmán, if that is the case. Here is a guy who will want to keep his job, for one, has strong Spain connections (he was a high enough profile player, people know who he was), and might be involved in ensuring a transition. Including not releasing players or at least retaining them. 

But I still wonder if they put money down or signed pre-contracts to ensure all this. Or if OSEG got paid to ensure rights to the stadium, to the club infrastructure.