Ottawa CPL Club

13 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm gonna play connect some dots here... random Landon Donovan rumour. Stu Holden last year says he's got something going on with Canadian soccer. Donovan and Holden both close buddies with Steve Nash. Steve Nash and Stu Holden part of Mallorca ownership group. Martin Nash assistant coach in CPL, use to coach in Ottawa. Huh

Very smart post. I think the reasoning is impeccable. I also am sure Mallorca has good relations with Mediapro. 

BTW legally R Madrid, Barça and At Bilbao can't own a foreign team as they are member owned. They'd have to set up an independent holding of sorts. 

12 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Do

Does mediapro have any affiliations to specific la Liga teams?

No. They have the rights with BeIn. But they actually have a bad relationship with the Barça board as Roures was strongly Cruyffist, who was not treated well by this bunch. 

The really bad vibes are showing this year in the women's league and its tv rights, with the biggest teams like Barça and Atlético de Madrid boycotting the cross league Mediapro deal. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

12 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I would call every team except maybe 4 or 5 in the current table well known. I would call the teams you listed as famous teams

I'm here but would agree with that. Especially Eibar and Leganés. 

Even Alavés played a European final once. 

Arguably there are better known teams in 2nd division right now like Zaragoza, Deportivo Coruña, Gijon.... 

2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I don't know who this guy is but it makes sense. I wondered why only a couple of the Fury players had signed elsewhere.

This might be one of the old Rochester Rhinos supporters came to watch the Fury last year and who as a group have a soccer podcast.  If it's one of them, then I can vouch that they are passionate about soccer and the goings on around the N.A. scene.  Felt bad for them as they were on the fringes of MLS about 15 years ago and now, have no team.      

Well what has CLanahan been saying every 30 days or so for the last few years..."the main stumbling block is the stadium".  Soccer already has a foothold in Ottawa, there is the stadium with someone who wants to keep it busy (without the hassle of their own soccer club) and if you keep the same colors you might just be able to iron on a new patch over the old Fury uniforms.  Sounds like a win win.  

6 hours ago, Viruk42 said:

Duane Rollins and Stuart Mac also seem to think Espanyol

Espanyol is owned by Chinese investors:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/02/espanyol-china-rastar-group-shares

so maybe it's a Mediapro angle that makes that the leading hypothesis given they are also backed by Chinese investment:

https://www.soccerex.com/insight/articles/2018/report-mediapro-sells-majority-stake-to-chinese-investor

and are based in Barcelona like Espanyol.

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

I think the collective love will be huge for this If it happens. Fingers crossed.

I think everyone will be very happy about it, but a lot of bridges have been burned at this point and I doubt many people on both sides will be willing to let it go right away (certainly not if Ottawa soccer Twitter is any indication).

4 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

I really hope the plan isn't for 2020. That is way too rushed

You say that, but they wouldn't be starting from scratch since most of the former Fury roster is still out of contract and they would have another three months to fill out the roster. If they are announcing it this month, then everything's already in place for 2020.

1 minute ago, deschamp86 said:

I really hope the plan isn't for 2020. That is way too rushed

Possibly but there are rumours out there that a bunch of the ex-Fury players haven't signed anywhere else because of this. We know Haworth and JGL are gone, but who else?

Team front office logistics are a concern but considering everything is there, in place from the Fury, it's possible that the new club works with OSEG or brings on some of the staff. 

It's tight but I think it's possible.

28 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I think the collective love will be huge for this If it happens. Fingers crossed. 

New, new format for the v cup? Lol

Probably not for this year. Ottawa may be deemed ineligible this year as it was not an existing club at the end of 2019 (or some other excuse).

Rollins seems to be of that opinion, and has given us a firm end-date: 

5 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Possibly but there are rumours out there that a bunch of the ex-Fury players haven't signed anywhere else because of this. We know Haworth and JGL are gone, but who else?

Canadians that are left as far as I know: Irving, TMG (rumoured to have already signed with CPL team, would be a huge surprise if that ended up being Ottawa), Attakora, Dixon, Tissot, Boskovic (TFC loan), Monsalve, Mutambala, Coupland, Shaw, Vilfort.

That does not look like a particularly strong base with a lot of other FA Canadians already signed and with them missing the draft

Edited by deschamp86
Had forgotten Irving