Ottawa CPL Club

Atletico Ottawa is an awful name, and people on here should be ashamed for supporting it.  Especially after the big stink people made over hating "FC" or "City".  You can say that it's part of the Madrid branding, but it's entirely likely that at some point they depart as owners (I'm not even saying that in a negative sense. Ownership changes all the time in all leagues.)  At which point you're left with.....Real Salt Lake, a name and colour scheme originally chosen because they were going to be affiliated with Real Madrid.

Some articles related to clubs owning multiple teams. Aka MCO, Multi Club Ownership. Consensus seems to be that it generally beneficial for both sides financially, player movement and bringing recognition to smaller team. The downside is for the other teams in the league as one team has a distinct advantage over the others.

https://beta.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/07/03/7-football-clubs-that-own-other-clubs/?amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/the-club-collectors-have-got-their-hands-on-watford-charlton-and-maybe-leeds-the-next-step-as-with-9116168.html%3famp

https://www.footballbenchmark.com/library/multi_club_ownership

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Atletico Ottawa is an awful name, ...

At least the name of the city is in there, which instantly puts it ahead of Pacific, Cavalry, Valour and Forge. If people were asked at random which out of Atletico, Valour, Forge and Fury sounds like a top class professional soccer team, I'm confident most would respond with Atletico.

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Atletico Ottawa is an awful name, and people on here should be ashamed for supporting it.

Wow! Dramatic much?

Its a name. Get past it. You get a team backed by a global brand that just paid 120 million Euros for a Portuguese kid. 

Humans have a way to personalizing names. Robert becomes Rob, Bob, and Bubba. Atlético will become Atléti, Athletes, or even the A’s.  

17 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

You know this is big when AS has Ottawa as the 3rd story after Gareth Bale and the new Barca manager.

4 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

Team with a terrible name > no team at all

I trust what CPL is doing with names of teams. It's s a fairly creative mix. I also think the shirts have come out well. Another thing is if At. Madrid insists on some related branding for the name. 

The colours would definitely work in the e wider scheme of the league. 

Reading the news stories out of Spain--this is really huge and now, with that sort of backing, you've got to think it'll push the entire CPL endeavour. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Go away for a week...

Pardon me if I'm a little wary and gun-shy. I remember how NASL loved Rayo Vallecano being involved with Rayo OKC and that went south very quickly. 

That said, I still haven't received a refund on my Fury Season Ticket Deposit for 2020, so maybe this has had legs for longer than I thought.

I can't imagine JdG *not* being involved in the FO in some form (preferably as an Assistant GM) due to his years spent playing in Spain and could act as a bridge/translator for the several incoming young U-23 players from their Academy (and I'm sure Atletico would parachute in their own GM/Sporting Director and Coach). There are a couple of ex-Fury players still in the area, so they could easily flesh out a team that might not be pretty, but the quality to price ratio of the transplanted Atletico players should shine through.

I was just about to put down season tickets for the new Ottawa CEBL team, but if this goes through, that's where I'm putting my money instead. I'll mourn the Fury, but I'm an Ottawa Supporter and that's what I'll do for the new team. And Red and White (hopefully with a little bit of black trim) is very appropriate for the Capital of Canada.

Edited by Initial B