Ottawa CPL Club

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Narrowing it down to Atletico or Real

I feel like signs point to Barcelona more than Madrid.  The first rumour was Espanyol... they are in Barcelona.  We were then told it is a much bigger club.

So my gut is telling me that Espanyol originated because the club was rumoured to be from Barcelona.. would be too random of a team to select otherwise.

16 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...or they don't want their entry to the North American market to turn into a fiasco and will do what needs to be done to make it work, which also would be a good thing.

Don't really care what their reasoning is.  If they are helping the league grow and helping to assure the success of the league, it is, as you say, a good thing.

1 hour ago, dnina10 said:

The League a few months back have said they made 3 different schedules, one of them included a 8th team.

In my opinion this will be much better since it will be balanced and will make sure weekend games happen often. #CanPL https://twitter.com/hammyd0wns/status/1217511937422041096 

Yes to this!

My Saturday CPL triple header watching can now be a quadruple header!

A few random thoughts:

- I want them in the league ASAP, rushed perception or not.  If the rumours are true (which is looking increasingly likely) this is an organization with the resources to  make it happen and make it a success.  Anyone on this board who thinks they know the business better than the folks behind a massive spanish footy club is delusional.

- I also want them in the league right away because it would squash some of the silly debates.  People could no longer maintain that the entry fee is a prohibitive barrier, that the league is desperate, or that the lack of expansion is signalling much bigger issues for the fledgling league.  This sort of development doesn't happen in a negative environment.

- This development would also validate the idea that many of us have been championing - that if the Fury wasn't on board with CPL, getting them the hell out of the way was a good thing. 

- Ottawa footy fans deserve a team, and this would deliver - in spades.

- Lastly, if the rumours are true, this absolutely makes them the destination of choice (as someone pointed out earlier).  But even for other teams it is a big deal - this would essentially embed a spanish scouting structure within the framework of the league.  The implications and  opportunities flowing from this are huge. 

As much as this sounds exciting and all, we still have not gotten any explicit evidence from the league itself (ie. David Clanachan et al). These are just people who claim to be insiders and have 'connections'. Not to be a downer, but let's just wait and see what Clanachan says. It's not the first time we have heard news like this. A very good example would be out west in BC a few months ago. This does seem exciting, but I won't just breathe a sigh of relief just yet.

1 minute ago, dnina10 said:

As much as this sounds exciting and all, we still have not gotten any explicit evidence from the league itself (ie. David Clanachan et al). These are just people who claim to be insiders and have 'connections'. Not to be a downer, but let's just wait and see what Clanachan says. It's not the first time we have heard news like this. A very good example would be out west in BC a few months ago. This does seem exciting, but I won't just breathe a sigh of relief just yet.

You can do what you want but between Stuart, Thomas and Duane they have proven to be credible.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

To be fair, it take time though. We don't need to say "Montreal" to know where the Canadiens play. That comes with time.*

*Took me a while to learn that Juventus played in Torino and not in "Juventus" when I was a football newbie :D

Wait a minute...does that mean Norwich city doesnt play is Norwich?  Oh man, now I am confused.....

7 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

You can do what you want but between Stuart, Thomas and Duane they have proven to be credible.

Agree that they are credible, but I'm always of the opinion that nothing is certain until they pull the shirt on, so to speak.

But mostly I agree with One Soccer's comment on events:

Edited by Viruk42

48 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Wait a minute...does that mean Norwich city doesnt play is Norwich?  Oh man, now I am confused.....

You made me google it lol

Clubs like Everton and Lazio...I'm embarrassed to say that in my noob years, didn't know they were in Liverpool and Rome haha

Edited by Ansem