Ottawa CPL Club

Whoever it is they must feel pretty good about themselves if they think they can pull this off for 2020

But if you've got your sht already together Ottawa is about as turn key as it gets. If OSEG is the landlord they would likely hand over all their market info.. ticket holder data anything to help get things off the ground

Edited by SpursFlu

I'm wondering if a potential 2020 start would be for the fall season? I mean, with the split season leading to the championship game, there's not really much impact on a team or the league if an Ottawa CPL team didn't start playing until the second half, they could still win the title.

It feels unlikely that a team would be able to come together in just 3 months. I mean, even just coming up with a team name seems to take several months, let alone a logo, kit, coaching staff, management, players, etc

9 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

I'm wondering if a potential 2020 start would be for the fall season? I mean, with the split season leading to the championship game, there's not really much impact on a team or the league if an Ottawa CPL team didn't start playing until the second half, they could still win the title.

It feels unlikely that a team would be able to come together in just 3 months. I mean, even just coming up with a team name seems to take several months, let alone a logo, kit, coaching staff, management, players, etc

Now that, is an interesting possibility. Given that there's a split season, and that Ottawa can't play in the 2020 Canadian Championship, a Fall-season start could be possible.

20 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Very interesting development!  This coming into the CPL in the fall season seems like something that the NASL would do.  But I'm desperate and want to be able to not have to get on a train or plane to watch live soccer so if it's the halfway through the 2020 season, I'll gladly take it.   

Me too.

3 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:
3H_VMRSz_normal.jpg
Stuart Mac

@CrabbitCanuck
· 24m
BREAKING: Can report that it the foreign investors involved in #Ottawa2CPL are from Spain, a well known club from La Liga behind the backing. #CanPL #LaLiga

If that’s true, this could be very very interesting indeed... 

6 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:
3H_VMRSz_normal.jpg
Stuart Mac

@CrabbitCanuck
· 24m
BREAKING: Can report that it the foreign investors involved in #Ottawa2CPL are from Spain, a well known club from La Liga behind the backing. #CanPL #LaLiga

Don't look at me, I have no idea. 

I can't even speculate properly on this. 

Would it be a club owned by Spaniards, or by foreign interests, such as Chinese or a Gulf state? 

Would the club have a close relationship to MediaPro, so that the media enterprise would be involved in brokering the deal?

And if this latter, could we interpret this: Mediapro wants a stronger league, with more clubs meaning more markets, to consolidate their investment. So that there is an incentive to get the 8th in place for this season, and not just sit on our uneven laurels.

My view is that it is in Mediapro's interest to have a league with more teams, and to have a lower entry fee charged to facilitate this. 

I'm gonna play connect some dots here... random Landon Donovan rumour. Stu Holden last year says he's got something going on with Canadian soccer. Donovan and Holden both close buddies with Steve Nash. Steve Nash and Stu Holden part of Mallorca ownership group. Martin Nash assistant coach in CPL, use to coach in Ottawa. Huh

Edited by SpursFlu

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm gonna play connect some dots here... random Landon Donovan rumour. Stu Holden last year says he's got something going on with Canadian soccer. Donovan and Holden both close buddies with Steve Nash. Steve Nash and Stu Holden part of Mallorca ownership group. Martin Nash assistant coach in CPL, use to coach in Ottawa. Huh

i respect and admire the depth of this conspiracy theory

7 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

i respect and admire the depth of this conspiracy theory

Everything in life other than wanking is a conspiracy

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's not Barcelona or Real Madrid. So now you've already got a 1/18 chance of guessing. Anyone at Leganes who has a brother who coached in Ottawa?

Edited by SpursFlu

I'm wondering if it's Atletico Madrid? They're already part owners of Atletico San Luis in Mexico and previously were part owners of RC Lens in France and Atletico de Kolkata in India - having said that, the fact that they no longer own two foreign teams does suggest they may not be interested in owning others / may not be the best owners to have....

1 hour ago, lazlo_80 said:

Just checking, we okay with a spanish team having a second team in Canada?

I know when MLS came knocking we all agreed it was NOOOOO WAAAAAY!

If it’s “Barcelona B” no thanks. If it’s club XYZ Ottawa, which happens to be owned by the same company that owns Barcelona, but isn’t a B team, then awesome! They’ve (or whoever it is) got money and soccer know how. 

4 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

a "well known club from la liga"

real madrid

Barcelona

Atletico

Valencia

Villareal

Not trying to be a dingus but who else would be considered "well known" in la liga?

I would call every team except maybe 4 or 5 in the current table well known. I would call the teams you listed as famous teams

Edited by SpursFlu

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I would call every team except maybe 4 or 5 in the current table well known. I would call the teams you listed as famous teams

Really? Interesting. i definitely don't follow La Liga but was just thinking of names that would make me go "Oh I've heard of them"

Eibar? Celta Vigo? Granada? Those are more like teams I spend 15 minutes wikipedia-ing about after there's a transfer rumor about some Canadian trialing at them or something.

10 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Really? Interesting. i definitely don't follow La Liga but was just thinking of names that would make me go "Oh I've heard of them"

Eibar? Celta Vigo? Granada? Those are more like teams I spend 15 minutes wikipedia-ing about after there's a transfer rumor about some Canadian trialing at them or something.

It's obviously very subjective. But if you analyze the statement "well known" it's clearly not referring to Barcelona