Ottawa CPL Club

42 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

don't think that we can underestimate the role of Julian de Guzmán,

Hope he is involved. He is someone that has so much to offer and should be involved in the continued growth of the CPL and Canadian soccer as he did as a player and after he retired . Plus now Escalante looks to be gone the league needs a villain. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But I still wonder if they put money down or signed pre-contracts to ensure all this. Or if OSEG got paid to ensure rights to the stadium, to the club infrastructure. 

From my standpoint, I see this as being a no-brainer if there is a soccer team wanting to rent TD Place. OSEG needs all the revenue it can get, and if they get the 67s, RedBlacks, BlackJacks, and Ottawa Athlétique, they might just start breaking even.

That said, I'm not getting my hypes up until someone officially announces a team. Once burned, twice shy and all that.

On 1/18/2020 at 4:01 PM, Initial B said:

This is exactly what happened with Rayo OKC. The Spanish club got relegated, had a turnover in upper management, and they decided to retrench and cut OKC adrift. As much as I want soccer in Ottawa, I'm worried about this eventuality.

It is a concern, but Rayo OKC also entered a market with an established pro team already and had to compete for fans with them which turned out poorly. They were getting roughly 1300 paid attendance  in a league that averaged around 5K approximately, and the other team in town averaged over 4K, so this was also a big factor in Rayo Vallecano pulling out of that market.

No competing pro soccer team in Ottawa, and I expect them to largely retain if not increase from the fan base the now defunct Fury had.

Edited by CDNFootballer

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm totally in favour of the speculation, since it is fun. What was good about the whole Atletico Madrid case is that we would never have guessed. Except for that one post, after the fact, when someone said he knew that AM people were in Ottawa six weeks ago. Why didn't that guy tell us then?

I alluded to it in a post on December 5th and again on the 13th. Knew before those dates about the club ( AM ) and their intention to put a team together for this season.  Also talked about it on the 29th and a couple days later. Wasn’t at liberty to divulge anything else. 

14 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

Really hope JDG is involved with the new team. Canadian soccer needs him involved; he cares about the growth of the game in this country. He’s not just looking for a paycheque as he truly care about growing soccer for Canadians. 

I hope the baloney with JDG from last year doesnt keep him out of the league.  IF, he said and did what was reported that the CPL can put it behind them and move on and have a better league with him involved.  

50 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

Really hope JDG is involved with the new team. Canadian soccer needs him involved; he cares about the growth of the game in this country. He’s not just looking for a paycheque as he truly care about growing soccer for Canadians. 

If he's involved...whatever. But I don't think there's any truth in the bolded statement. He's no more required than any other former player. Take him, or leave him...no difference.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

If he's involved...whatever. But I don't think there's any truth in the bolded statement. He's no more required than any other former player. Take him, or leave him...no difference.

I agree.  If any former international were needed, it would be Bunbury.  Rather than panning the league and sounding as if he'd like to run the entire thing over with a steamroller like De Guzman, Bumblebee's been very enthusiastic, despite being a bit ...how shall I say, 'flighty.' 

https://www.ledroit.com/sports/lequipe-dottawa-dans-la-cpl-serait-liee-a-latletico-de-madrid-e6dba828cd9a40d659a9d47af318f999

... « Je fais l’annonce du retour du soccer aujourd’hui, mais nous travaillons le dossier depuis des mois. Le club européen a déjà identifié les joueurs qui viendront jouer à Ottawa et nous avons encore plusieurs joueurs locaux qui peuvent être mis sous contrat afin de compléter notre contenu canadien », a ajouté Jeff Hunt.

Dans un échange de textos avec Le Droit, le Gatinois Maxim Tissot a notamment indiqué qu’il n’avait pas encore signé de nouvelle entente pour 2020 et qu’il avait de l’intérêt à jouer avec l’équipe de sa région. Antoine Coupland, de Chelsea, pourrait aussi revenir tout comme les joueurs canadiens Callum Irving, Jamar Dixon, Thomas Meilleur-Giguère et Nana Attakora...

9 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I seriously doubt Atlético Madrid would agree with you.

If they have already been in Ottawa and spoken to people, the one person they would recognize would be Julian, who also happens to speak Spanish, know the Spanish league better than any other player, even have insights into Atletico. I would imagine he was a selling point, although of course the team could work with someone else, and you are right to say another could also do a good job. But maybe not on such short term notice.

As for another's suggestion about Bunbury--he has great enthusiasm, but has no hands on, day-to-day experience. Julian does.

I would even argue that the club loyalty JdG showed to Fury last year, which was a bit obnoxious and even insulting in some details,  could be seen as a virtue in this context.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I seriously doubt Atlético Madrid would agree with you.

If they have already been in Ottawa and spoken to people, the one person they would recognize would be Julian, who also happens to speak Spanish, know the Spanish league better than any other player, even have insights into Atletico. I would imagine he was a selling point, although of course the team could work with someone else, and you are right to say another could also do a good job. But maybe not on such short term notice.

As for another's suggestion about Bunbury--he has great enthusiasm, but has no hands on, day-to-day experience. Julian does.

I would even argue that the club loyalty JdG showed to Fury last year, which was a bit obnoxious and even insulting in some details,  could be seen as a virtue in this context.

Anyone who is opposed to JDG being part of soccer in this country doesn’t know what they are talking about. He is exactly what this country needs more of. 

1 hour ago, Ottawafan said:

Anyone who is opposed to JDG being part of soccer in this country doesn’t know what they are talking about. He is exactly what this country needs more of. 

I'm sure he can have a role withing the CSA too. I'm just sceptical about him within the CPL as a GM or coach 

2 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

He just dug himself into a hole being zealously loyal to his employers--to the possible detriment of future considerations elsewhere. It was a misinterpretation of the role. In sports you don't have to slag others to defend your own, it happens a lot, but it can be avoided.

But then At Madrid comes along, and it looks like a perfect fit: At Madrid could care less about internal CPL bickering, and JdG doesn't have other options in Canada right now, barring a future move to an MLS team, or national team coaching. But I am not even sure if he has his coaching licenses in order--does he?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

32 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He just dug himself into a hole being zealously loyal to his employers--to the possible detriment of future considerations elsewhere. It was a misinterpretation of the role. In sports you don't have to slag others to defend your own, it happens a lot, but it can be avoided.

But then At Madrid comes along, and it looks like a perfect fit: At Madrid could care less about internal CPL bickering, and JdG doesn't have other options in Canada right now, barring a future move to an MLS team, or national team coaching. But I am not even sure if he has his coaching licenses in order--does he?

If someone had the feathers ruffled over something he may have said, tough sh!t. Move on. Only concern is what’s best for the development of the game and Canadian players. 

5 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

If someone had the feathers ruffled over something he may have said, tough sh!t. Move on. Only concern is what’s best for the development of the game and Canadian players. 

Actually, it is probably not going to work that way. He said some garbage, he insulted others and the league directly, and if he does have a role in the new Ottawa team, any reporter is free to ask him about it. 

And I doubt he'll say "tough shit move on". 

He's already misinterpreted his role once, if he does it again depending on whether his employer sees him as a liability or not, he may find he's the one who will have to move on.

That does not change my opinion that for At Madrid someone like him might make them comfortable coming into an unknown entity like CPL.

I didn't like what JDG said and found it a little surprising coming from a dedicated Canadian soccer player and manager, I can move on however if he has a role that helps specifically the new Ottawa team and more generally the CPL, I agree with @Unnamed Trialist that the press will surely be asking some questions about his previous statements! 

I must have slept through the part where JDG knocked it out of the park as the Fury GM. 

Since it is a league where clubs are independent, it's up to them to hire him if they see value/a role for him. If no one extends an offer, you have to take it for what it is. 

As for the league, they are a business, and a business have every rights not to employ someone who publically put the product down. 

Edited by Ansem

15 minutes ago, gator said:

I didn't like what JDG said and found it a little surprising coming from a dedicated Canadian soccer player and manager, I can move on however if he has a role that helps specifically the new Ottawa team and more generally the CPL, I agree with @Unnamed Trialist that the press will surely be asking some questions about his previous statements

I don't think the mainstream press would really care about/be aware of his previous statements.  The Canadian soccer press might be more inquisitive.  But if JdG were to become involved, he'd be as supportive of the CPL program as he needed to be because that would be his job. 

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I must have slept through the part where JDG knocked it out of the park as the Fury GM. 

Since it is a league where clubs are independent, it's up to them to hire him if they see value/a role for him. If no one extends an offer, you have to take it for what it is.

As for the league, they are a business, and a business have every rights not to employ someone who publically put the product down. 

The league is a business.  Atletico Madrid is a (larger) business too.  I don't think the CPL would have a lot of power to say no if Atleti wanted him part of the Ottawa team.  (BIG ASSUMPTION: JdG being involved) 

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

The league is a business.  Atletico Madrid is a (larger) business too.  I don't think the CPL would have a lot of power to say no if Atleti wanted him part of the Ottawa team.  (BIG ASSUMPTION: JdG being involved) 

That's exactly what I said.

Clubs can do whatever they want, just don't expect the league to give him a job.

Edited by Ansem

5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You are right.  I read through your comment too quickly.  My apologies.

No worries. I agree that he can play a huge role within Canadian soccer with his experience with the National team and overseas.

I think he'd be far more useful at the CSA helping the youth teams to start and working with young players. 

Just my opinion

5 hours ago, gator said:

I didn't like what JDG said and found it a little surprising coming from a dedicated Canadian soccer player and manager, I can move on however if he has a role that helps specifically the new Ottawa team and more generally the CPL, I agree with @Unnamed Trialist that the press will surely be asking some questions about his previous statements! 

I talked to JdG a couple of times at Fury SSH events and when repeatedly pressed about how he feels about the CanPL, he always told us that he wishes them nothing but the best and hope it succeeds, but it just wasn't right for the Fury at that time. The way everything went down, I can't help but feel there were power struggles going on inside of OSEG that we were not privy to. The fact that this is Jeff Hunt's baby and not John Pugh and the only one that didn't seem broken up at the Fury Folding press conference was CEO Mark Goudie, I think this has all been a big kabuki production.