CPL General

32 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I'd be very surprised if they don't play in 2023 but they have a lot to do in the next 5 or 6 months. No obvious reason why they couldn't be much further along at this point other than waiting to see what happened with the Jinny Sims Surrey angle.

She lost her Surrey mayoral campaign badly.

Pre-fab bleacher construction in Langley expected to start in January. 

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

She lost her Surrey mayoral campaign badly...

Well aware of that. That's why they would only be proceeding now in Langley in the scenario I am outlining rather than 3 to 6 months ago with FCE being kept around on life support until they know with 100% certainty they can be safely euthanized or placed on hiatus while retaining an eight club league in 2023.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

15 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Didn't know where else to put this, but I tracked team of the week appearances for the CMNT eligible players. Below are all the players that made the teams 5 or more times. All of them with the exception of Bekker and maybe Levis and Sissoko could move up a level.

Screenshot_20221104-123754_Gallery.jpg

Manny pretty much made team of the week in half the games he started and didn't get either suspended or injured in

21 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I'd be very surprised if they don't play in 2023 but they have a lot to do in the next 5 or 6 months. No obvious reason why they couldn't be much further along at this point other than waiting to see what happened with the Jinny Sims Surrey angle.

They went faster at Pacific. Friend is in expediter mode.

4 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

A $30,000 CAD minimum player salary is not so dissimilar to where the MLS was 8 to 10 years ago.

Most importantly though, it's a pretty big step in the right direction to see the league publically disclosing this information. I wonder if increased transparency is on the list of improvements for the new commish.

9 minutes ago, shermanator said:

CPL increasing the salary cap by 18.5% and the minimum salary by 36% is a massive development, and a sign that ownership is willing to open their wallets once something resembling a sustainable model is achieved. I cannot see how there is any downside to this news.

I'm sure there is someone who can see a downside 😎

9 minutes ago, shermanator said:

CPL increasing the salary cap by 18.5% and the minimum salary by 36% is a massive development, and a sign that ownership is willing to open their wallets once something resembling a sustainable model is achieved. I cannot see how there is any downside to this news.

What is the roster size in CPL? Is the salary floor of $750000 just a full squad of minimum salary guys now (25 * 30000 = 750000)?

44 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

A $30,000 CAD minimum player salary is not so dissimilar to where the MLS was 8 to 10 years ago.

Most importantly though, it's a pretty big step in the right direction to see the league publically disclosing this information. I wonder if increased transparency is on the list of improvements for the new commish.

30000 is way better. but to say it’s not so dissimilar seems off when you account for inflation/exchange

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Well on our way for the #3 spot in CONCACAF.

Great move!

With it being around 22K US I wonder how this compares to USL Championship, will it bring home some of the CDN talent that is playing south of the border. D2 salaries back in the NASL got up there but pretty sure they have down since then. 

Unless the CPL is having a hard time meeting the CDN quotas, I wouldnt worry about guys bringing back guys playing in the US.  CPL is a good product now, the minimum wage hike will let us retain some of the better guys who might feel like jumping just for a bigger paycheque.  But let those guys toiling in the US divisions stay there, the more guys we have spread out (europe, USL, MLS etc), the better.  

Love this news! As has been mentioned, the transparency is great, and the increase in spend is great too.

So a 36% increase to $30,000 for a minimum salary. I'm not sure if we already knew this but that means the minimum this year was $22,000. Player salary cap is up from $950,000 to $1,125,000. Without the U-21 salary cap relief it looks like the maximum is $1,025,000.

I guess the one (minor) downside to this news is that it looks like the start of MLS-like salary cap trickery rules, which I am not a fan of.

Honestly, if we didn't have this news and Edmonton folded, I would probably feel nervous all offseason. Even if Edmonton folds now this news makes me feel like the other ownership groups are feeling much better about their situations than I would have thought. So this feels really big to me.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Unless the CPL is having a hard time meeting the CDN quotas, I wouldnt worry about guys bringing back guys playing in the US.  CPL is a good product now, the minimum wage hike will let us retain some of the better guys who might feel like jumping just for a bigger paycheque.  But let those guys toiling in the US divisions stay there, the more guys we have spread out (europe, USL, MLS etc), the better.  

The increase in the salary cap might help retain some of the better guys, but the increase in the floor wouldn't.  It's still nothing but positive news.

Edited by Watchmen

2 hours ago, Cblake said:

With it being around 22K US I wonder how this compares to USL Championship, will it bring home some of the CDN talent that is playing south of the border. D2 salaries back in the NASL got up there but pretty sure they have down since then. 

I don't think much about the US or USL, we'll be even more attractive recruitment-wise

Edited by Ansem

The $30 000 minimum is roughly the equivalent to a full time job at $15/hour.  So at least players can now play without the realization that they could make more pouring coffee at a doughnut shop.  That makes it a real (albeit minimum wage) full time job which is an important threshold to cross.

12 hours ago, Kent said:

I guess the one (minor) downside to this news is that it looks like the start of MLS-like salary cap trickery rules, which I am not a fan of.

A lot of salary-capped leagues have some number of exceptions or special cases.  I'm okay with a bit of that if it helps the league although I'd prefer they avoid anything too byzantine.