CPL General

10 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...sure everybody aspires to more when looking at it in best case scenario fantasy mode but it might be the sort of model that is actually sustainable for the forseeable future and that is relatively straightforward to expand. If FCE folds by the end of the year, CanPL will only be another franchise folding away from a major existential crisis. Having some sort of stable league that can grow organically later is better than the 1992 CSL scenario and its aftermath all over again.

earth vulture GIF by Lil Dicky

Something to bear in mind is that a combatorial CanPL vs MLS mindset was how people inside the CSA bubble and associated with CanPL viewed things when the league was being organized and launched so the various hangers on and sycophants picked up on that vibe in a big way as well. A CEBL approach isn't D1 enough for a lot of people to keep the whole CanPL vs MLS thing going so doesn't go down well with some.

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

A CEBL approach isn't D1 enough for a lot of people to keep the whole CanPL vs MLS thing going so doesn't go down well with some.

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

"But where are the Canadian players?" was the question Bob Young & Co were asking around 2018 or so. On the roster for the Bahrain game is the answer in late 2022 and three of them spent some time in CanPL so having both leagues complements each other and helps add greater depth to the CMNT player pool.

So status quo did yield results?

It's more difficult to sell the three MLS academy systems as worth the time and effort for the players involved if all that's available at the end of it is a very limited number of MLS roster spots. CanPL can more readily adopt a Brentford approach because they exist. No reason why the two leagues can't wind up with a symbiotic relationship in other words beyond what's going on in some people's heads.

What's wrong with MLS clubs "loaning" players to CPL?

For a guy who "denounce" nationalism and MSL vs CanPL comments - you're the one doing most of it through your views. 

Symbiotic means "MUTUAL BENEFICIAL" - you're just lamenting that CPL didn't know its place and take the MLS academies and not relegating itself as a "bus league" feeding the 3 MLS clubs making it virtually impossible for it to thrive to its full potential.
image.png.79fb267133f218c24b7facf89c8da3ed.png

This elitist bullshit that outside of the 3 main markets (save hockey) - the rest of the country (where over 2/3 resides) doesn't matter and shouldn't aspire to what the 3 have to some extend.

You Lie Harry Potter GIF by Sky

Edited by Ansem

4 hours ago, Kent said:

Out of context (I haven't paid attention to him since he became more podcast focused instead of writing articles) it looks like an honest question rather than actual shade being thrown. I'm not sure exactly what the question is though.

This was my reaction as well. It's probably the fairest comparison - new, Canadian leagues that started at the same time, have bigger leagues to compete with attention, going about things in different ways. 

41 minutes ago, yothat2 said:

Kelowna makes a lot of sense just in the fact that it is sandwiched in between the Alberta teams, and the coastal BC teams. More teams will make the league more feasible from a travel perspective. 

The Kelowna Rockets have the highest attendance amongst BC-based WHL teams averaging about 4000 spectators a game. Pre-covid those numbers were closer to 5000 attendees. The market seems to be big enough if they can nail down an appropriate location.

Edited by Pottsy3

52 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Kelowna makes a lot of sense just in the fact that it is sandwiched in between the Alberta teams, and the coastal BC teams.

Kelowna makes sense because it's a fast-growing market and underserved by professional teams. The faster CPL can get into more places like Halifax and Kelowna the better it'll serve them in the future. It's why places like KWC or London would also be desirable.  Fast-growing metros eager to support professional level sport.

Kelowna isn't exactly a bus trip for teams - they'll still be flying around. Might make away days more feasible for the AB team(s), though, which should be better in that aspect.

Edited by Mihairokov

15 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Kelowna makes a lot of sense just in the fact that it is sandwiched in between the Alberta teams, and the coastal BC teams. More teams will make the league more feasible from a travel perspective. 

The Kelowna Rockets have the highest attendance amongst BC-based WHL teams averaging about 4000 spectators a game. Pre-covid those numbers were closer to 5000 attendees. The market seems to be big enough if they can nail down an appropriate location.

Those are very impressive numbers if you factor in how many home games they play . I’m assuming they must play like what 30 or more home games ? That’s a lot of home games to try and get people out to and they come out looking at those numbers . I know it’s hockey and this is Canada but looking at the CPL you have what 12 home games to sell more or less , so much less games to try and get people to come out too, looking at it this way you can see there might be promise that a CPL team can work there , looks like the population is there that can at least come out to the 12 or so home dates that they play. Moreover, that’s why I think the CPL should look at cities that do well with attendance in Junior hockey to see where possible future expansion teams can go. In Ontario London, Windsor and the Kitchener area are  places I think might be able to work out . 

20 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

The location they're proposing ticks wvery imaginable box. Sorry public transit lovers no skytrain 😞

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

That has been the rumour.  But Friend's comments don't sound like it's them.

I thought the rumour online was that it was Alberta investors. Hypothetically 😉

Edited by toontownman
Backtracked even though I'm sure it was everywhere online.