CPL General

33 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Wow! Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t remember the awards being dominated by international players in the past. Has anything changed?

Probably just an anomaly. 

The interesting thing is they could all be considered CPL vets in my opinion. 

Also crazy that Diaz still won the golden boot eveb though he transfered out

15 hours ago, narduch said:

No shockers but then, there weren't going to be any anyway so.

Still worth saying Carducci, Rea, Bassett all had excellent campaigns.  And Diaz?  In 2022 as influential a player as this young league has seen and would never be able to hold on to.  Just as it should be.   

Edited by Cheeta

On 10/29/2022 at 3:50 AM, Aird25 said:

Wow! Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t remember the awards being dominated by international players in the past. Has anything changed?

1822747_1.jpg

Given import players tend to receive the better salaries and are brought in to raise the standards of the league something would be out of whack if they weren't dominating these awards. Think if anything has changed it is that players like Bustos, Becker and Didic didn't have their strongest seasons this time around.

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

1822747_1.jpg

Given import players tend to receive the better salaries and are brought in to raise the standards of the league something would be out of whack if they weren't dominating these awards. Think if anything has changed it is that players like Bustos, Becker and Didic didn't have their strongest seasons this time around.

There's nothing like that implied in my post, and I've previously countered your many posts calling for fewer international players and less investment in foreign players in the CPL.

How can you continually call posters 'nationalistic' for simply supporting a domestic league, while constantly taking shots at the league's small international contingent. You've been arguing against the CPL for years now, but you still don't even have a stance that doesn't frequently contradict itself. 

....or maybe you simply don't understand my posts? At no point have I called posters 'nationalistic' for simply supporting a domestic league and I haven't been arguing against CPL for years. Those are frankly absurd distortions of what I have written.

What I have actually done is provided constructive arguments as to how CanPL could pursue an approach that makes it more likely to be sustainable in the long term because I thought expectations surrounding the league before launch were delusional and there was a very real risk the league would fold (FCE and even the Valour are on thin ice right now if Duane Rollins is to be believed so the league has major ongoing viability problems). Part of how they could downsize a bit obviously revolves around downscaling the budget. What I have stated is that I am not convinced that CanPL is getting bang for their buck currently out of having so many international players. The contingent isn't actually that small. When all seven that are allowed on a roster are signed that's slightly over a third of the non-developmental contracts on offer.

My impression is that they aren't paying these guys enough to be able to attract in players from overseas that are actually a significant upgrade over what's readily available locally in the way that they should be if they are going to be targeted for many/most of the higher salaries on offer. The international transfer market is truly global so CanPL is competing with salaries that are on offer elsewhere and there is a pecking order as to who goes where. Ollie Bassett won this year but would it have been a huge shock if Ballou Tabla had put the pieces together and done it instead? One of these guys came over from Nuneaton Borough while the other was rated highly enough at one point to have been at Barcelona.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

What I have actually done is provided constructive arguments as to how CanPL could pursue an approach that makes it more likely to be sustainable in the long term because I thought expectations surrounding the league before launch were delusional and there was a very real risk the league would fold (FCE and even the Valour are on thin ice right now if Duane Rollins is to be believed so the league has major ongoing viability problems).

Time to admit you were wrong about the league folding? Sponsors wouldn't keep jumping in if the league was truly on the cusp of folding... burning cash especially in this economy isn't something corporations are looking to do. New deals just signals more confidence into the league

Valour not being happy with attendance doesn't mean it's folding. The parent entity still make a profit despite Valour losing money, that's how you're suppose to read the books.

Otherwise Montreal would have folded years ago... they lose anywhere between $12M to $20M + Saputo lost close to 50M with Bologna

Duane as a source...To be taken with a grain a salt.

FCE? Can we talk about the owners hands in the club being a flop for a change?

Part of how they could downsize a bit obviously revolves around downscaling the budget.

Or increase revenues... That's the better strategy. Lower budget means lower quality meaning lower odds at getting new fans.

What I have stated is that I am not convinced that CanPL is getting bang for their buck currently out of having so many international players. The contingent isn't actually that small

For once, I agree with this.

My impression is that they aren't paying these guys enough to be able to attract in players from overseas that are actually a significant upgrade over what's readily available locally in the way that they should be if they are going to be targeted for many/most of the higher salaries on offer. The international transfer market is truly global so CanPL is competing with salaries that are on offer elsewhere and there is a pecking order as to who goes where. Ollie Bassett won this year but would it have been a huge shock if Ballou Tabla had put the pieces together and done it instead? One of these guys came over from Nuneaton Borough while the other was rated highly enough at one point to have been at Barcelona.

Agreed that CPL internationals are mostly underwhelming. Salary is a factor but scouting (and who's doing their scouting for them) is a bigger issue.

I expected the league to go hard on CONCACAF as there's talent and it's not a zone that's that heavily scouted. Too soon to evaluate the Club21 thing. Lots of room for improvement for sure.

I thought Pacific getting Diaz was brilliant, promising player from a top CONCACAF club academy who has the talent but couldn't break into the 1st club. This needs to be replicated... lots of Diaz in Mexico D2 and talented guys fighting for a shot on the roster.

CPL needs to figure this out instead of some of the flops from Europe and South America they signed.

Edited by Ansem

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

and another thing I found very interesting is he expects the CPL to be a top 10 league in the world in the future.😀

Sure.  A couple of years after the survivors crawl out of their fall-out shelters blinking in the sunlight and wondering how much of Europe and Africa (none of it) survived the 'pocalypse.

Happy Halo'ween everyone.

20 hours ago, Ansem said:

CPL needs to figure this out instead of some of the flops from Europe and South America they signed.

In fairness, there are many clubs around the world with much bigger scouting budgets than CPL teams that still end up signing a lot of foreign players who don't work out.  Or who do work out but it's questionable whether they worked out well enough for the extra money.  So I don't fault the teams too much there.

Cavalry FC season ticket renewals start today. It looks like there is early bird pricing available from Nov 1-15 which locks in your 2022 season ticket prices (per game), and if you renew after Nov 15 the prices jump up a little bit, around 3-5% depending on section.

Looks like the early bird prices apply to new season tickets as well. When I picked a new season ticket from the virtual venue it was the same price.

This year the season tickets get you 16 games, while season tickets last year got you 15 games. Speaking to my tickets in section 200, my tickets last year were $366 for 15 games, and my tickets this year are $391.20 for 16 games. So that's good. 

When I went to renew my season tickets they gave me an option to pay in full, or spread the payments out over 10 months. They are also bringing in an auto renew option at the end of next year, and you had the option to opt out of that before entering payment information for this year's tickets.

I dunno, seems pretty good to me?

Edited by shermanator

37 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Cavalry FC season ticket renewals start today. It looks like there is early bird pricing available from Nov 1-15 which locks in your 2022 season ticket prices (per game), and if you renew after Nov 15 the prices jump up a little bit, around 3-5% depending on section.

Looks like the early bird prices apply to new season tickets as well. When I picked a new season ticket from the virtual venue it was the same price.

This year the season tickets get you 16 games, while season tickets last year got you 15 games. Speaking to my tickets in section 200, my tickets last year were $366 for 15 games, and my tickets this year are $391.20 for 16 games. So that's good. 

When I went to renew my season tickets they gave me an option to pay in full, or spread the payments out over 10 months. They are also bringing in an auto renew option at the end of next year, and you had the option to opt out of that before entering payment information for this year's tickets.

I dunno, seems pretty good to me?

Just got my Valour email as well. No price increase for 2023 and any current member that renews gets free parking for this season. I guess you could say prices are slightly down considering I've been paying for parking.

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

MLS, Liga MX and European D2 have eyes on Ollie Bassett and Ballou Tabla

So we have rumours around Bustos, Bassett and Tabla.

Who else could have a chance to move up?

de Rosario comes to mind immediately.  Dada-Luke, Didic, Pacius, Zator, Salter, Babouli, Aparicio?  (Loans such as Rea, Yao would be a different situation)

Pretty much bye bye to FC Edmonton

CPL “still working on the solution” as future of FC Edmonton likely known over the next 30 to 60 days

“We’re still working on the solution in Edmonton,” CPL Commissioner Mark Noonan told AFTN at the Vancouver FC launch on Wednesday night. “Everybody knows that we have an issue in that market and we’re working hard to address it.”

But with no current owner, no white knight riding a steed on the horizon, and the appetite for the team in the city cooling at best and becoming disinterested at worst, just how do you address it?

“By working with the community, trying to find new ownership, and making sure that we have the conditions in that market,” Noonan told us. “I went through the pain when I was at MLS of losing a couple of teams. You want to do everything you can not to lose teams, but sometimes you have to do that if you don’t have the right conditions, so we’re working on it.”

Been completely snowed under with work the last few days. Do we know for certain that Vancouver FC are playing next season yet? Doubt they want the optics of dropping to seven teams again so nailing that down 100% in terms of getting the modular stadium build going and season ticket sales underway might be what the 30 to 60 days angle on FCE is mainly about at this point. Right now they are only taking deposits on season tickets with January mentioned as the probable timing to convert that into sales:

https://www.showpass.com/vancouver-football-club-season-ticket-deposit/

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Been completely snowed under with work the last few days. Do we know for certain that Vancouver FC are playing next season yet? Doubt they want the optics of dropping to seven teams again so nailing that down 100% in terms of getting the modular stadium build going and season ticket sales underway might be what the 30 to 60 days angle on FCE is mainly about at this point. Right now they are only taking deposits on season tickets with January mentioned as the probable timing to convert that into sales:

https://www.showpass.com/vancouver-football-club-season-ticket-deposit/

I believe that information has been consistent for quite a while now, that they're starting next season, and nothing I've seen has changed over the last few days.

Paragraph 3 mentions it https://canpl.ca/article/vancouver-fc-unveiled-as-newest-cpl-expansion-club