CPL General

6 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

But I do have a serious question to ask though very serious but as far as the CPL academies I wonder if that also extends to kids and or teenagers too in elementary/ high school? Because if we train our youth early in these CPL academies, you develop more future stars for our men's program and they too are eligible to be drafted in the CPL Draft provided they are good enough.

Not all the CPL teams have academies. I believe, it is only Pacific, Cavalry, HFX and York. Which, if I'm being honest, annoys me. Although, when you look at how much Edmonton (reportedly) lost per year in running their academy, I can see why the rest wont run one.

Regarding the training of players at said academies though, I doubt they would be eligible for the draft due to them already being at a CPL team. It could however, be possible to have a separate draft, specifically for academy sides involving high school teams. Although, going down that particular rabbit hole would raise so many questions.

OK, a few days back I brought up Julian DeGuzman seemingly trying to avoid saying "CPL" on a World Cup broadcast. Just a few minutes ago it has happened again. They were showing a graphic talking about potential players for the 2026 World Cup. For some positions, or the depth at that position it had grey boxes with question marks. In the bottom corner it showed the grey boxes were for "MLS/CPL Canada to develop". When JDG explained what the grey boxes were he said "It's for the academies to develop, of which right now we have 3. Toronto FC, Vancouver Whitecaps, and CF Montreal."

Maybe he is just one of these guys that thinks pro academies are the only way for pro players to emerge, (ignoring the recent examples set out by Dayne St. Clair, Alistair Johnston, Kamal Miller, Tajon Buchanan, Cyle Larin, Jonathan David, and Joel Waterman). But then shortly after they were talking about the CSA vs Player pay dispute. He made it clear that he (and he says all the players on the men's and women's sides) don't trust anyone at the CSA or CSB. He seemed quite angry about it all, so it is making me wonder if his apparent hate for CSB is translating into hate for CPL. People have pointed out his involvement with Simcoe County Rovers. Perhaps his comments at the time the club was started came at a time before he knew about CSB, or before he decided they were an organization to hate.

I should point out that he did also talk about Canada needing to solve the problem of players having to pay for their development. So that could be why he was pinning all his hopes on the 3 MLS academies.

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

I'd like to see a few more chances given to CPL players. That's what it'll take to become a decent international squad...more domestic talent coming through. Otherwise we're left throwing hail mary's every cycle

I'd like to see our best players getting chances, irrespective of where they play.  That will certainly mean seeing more CPL alumni but I doubt we'll be seeing many active CPL players.  If anything, we're likely to see more European-based players at the expense of MLS guys.

11 hours ago, Kent said:

OK, a few days back I brought up Julian DeGuzman seemingly trying to avoid saying "CPL" on a World Cup broadcast. Just a few minutes ago it has happened again. They were showing a graphic talking about potential players for the 2026 World Cup. For some positions, or the depth at that position it had grey boxes with question marks. In the bottom corner it showed the grey boxes were for "MLS/CPL Canada to develop". When JDG explained what the grey boxes were he said "It's for the academies to develop, of which right now we have 3. Toronto FC, Vancouver Whitecaps, and CF Montreal."

Maybe he is just one of these guys that thinks pro academies are the only way for pro players to emerge, (ignoring the recent examples set out by Dayne St. Clair, Alistair Johnston, Kamal Miller, Tajon Buchanan, Cyle Larin, Jonathan David, and Joel Waterman). But then shortly after they were talking about the CSA vs Player pay dispute. He made it clear that he (and he says all the players on the men's and women's sides) don't trust anyone at the CSA or CSB. He seemed quite angry about it all, so it is making me wonder if his apparent hate for CSB is translating into hate for CPL. People have pointed out his involvement with Simcoe County Rovers. Perhaps his comments at the time the club was started came at a time before he knew about CSB, or before he decided they were an organization to hate.

I should point out that he did also talk about Canada needing to solve the problem of players having to pay for their development. So that could be why he was pinning all his hopes on the 3 MLS academies.

But he had to throw in his part ownership of Simcoe on a TSN broadcast, totally out of context and forced, which was hugely unprofessional and way out of context.

Then Beckie, who is also co-owner, sat their with her dumb look as if they were the cat's meow for co-owning, with Raco, an amateur club. And blowing their own horn about being the future of the game in Canada. 

Very poor.

If CPL own L10 are we going to count those guys too??   

And I dont think the MLS guys need any promotion to get looks for the national team.  The youth teams are usually made of almost exclusively MLS academy kids...so looking other places (cpl) for kids is a good thing.  

15 hours ago, Kent said:

A lot of it would also have to do with that he was in a position with Ottawa Fury when they folded. Likely wasn't very happy that they got closed up and built up some hatred for CanPL at that point.

36 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Someone got fired for sure lol

Really? Think some people in here are in some sort of parallel reality sometimes. Suspect the reaction would be closer to this. The CSA want this Noonan guy on, OK let's have him on and keep them happy so they stop pestering us, ooookkkkayyyyy not holding my breath on that growth happening to the extent he wants or on that Women's league ever emerging but hey it's Canadian content and that keeps the CRTC happy, that's finally out of the way now back to Brazil, Argentina, Croatia etc and what most of the viewers actually want.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

34 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Really? Think some people in here are in some sort of parallel reality sometimes. Suspect the reaction would be closer to this. The CSA want this Noonan guy on, OK let's have him on and keep them happy so they stop pestering us, ooookkkkayyyyy not holding my breath on that growth happening to the extent he wants or on that Women's league ever emerging but hey it's Canadian content and that keeps the CRTC happy, that's finally out of the way now back to Brazil, Argentina, Croatia etc and what most of the viewers actually want.

Pbs Nature Hello GIF by Nature on PBS

57 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Edited by Aird25
It's not worth it

14 hours ago, ted said:

I would hope for around 30 - 40% but that's probably high.

This seemed high to me without really knowing what numbers that translates to. If the World Cup returns to 23 players that would be 7-9 players. Considering we had 2 in this past World Cup, maybe those numbers aren't too far fetched. If it's 26 players again it works out to 8-10 players with CPL experience.

3 hours ago, Aird25 said:

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Pbs Nature Hello GIF by Nature on PBS

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I wouldn't have formulated things the way Ozzie did here but that doesn't mean he isn't making a fair point. The reason the CPL isn't getting a juicy tv contract isn't because of some determination to sunk it by mainstream channels. If the eyeballs would be there then somebody would pick them up. The sad fact is that the CPL is having a hard time because its a lower level league in a sports culture where place in the pecking order matter for many sports fan (and where being *the* league of the country doesn't matter all that much to many) and because they are a new league whose team haven't build the kind of emotional attachment with a large fanbase needed to get a good tv contract. And no, killing the MLS teams won't do anything to change that. The large majority fanbase will just watch more European soccer on tv or find themselves new MLS teams to follow.

Now, thankfully none of that is a fatality and many of those things are a perfectly normal and predictable hump for the league to need to get over. People who believe in the league can work to build it up both in and off the pitch and people who don't want to give it a shot due to it being a lower level of play can be convinced otherwise. However, if that is ever to happen people need to recognize the genuine challenges and issues the league is facing, stop blaming other things then simple lack of interest for it and seeing any acknowledgement or criticism as an attack on it. 

The first step to change things is accepting how things are in the first place. Hopefully TSN being willing to go ''hey, we have are gonna have a 15 between the post-game and the next pre-game in our schedule right! Anybody got something? The commissioner of the CPL wanting to talk about his league and it could introduce people into a side of the Canadian game they don't know that much? Eh, why not. Who knows, might be valuable content one day and it doesn't cost much to start building some bridges'' will help in some small way.

Edited by phil03

2 hours ago, phil03 said:

The first step to change things is accepting how things are in the first place. Hopefully TSN being willing to go ''hey, we have are gonna have a 15 between the post-game and the next pre-game in our schedule right! Anybody got something? The commissioner of the CPL wanting to talk about his league and it could introduce people into a side of the Canadian game they don't know that much? Eh, why not. Who knows, might be valuable content one day and it doesn't cost much to start building some bridges'' will help in some small way.

What fair point is he making?  We are rightly gobsmacked that TSN actually admitted CPL is a thing.  They have done their best to ignore the league thats right in their back yard. They could post the scores on their homepage crawl.  God forbid show a highlight more than once a season. Nobody ever said TSN should drop MLS and give CPL a juicy contract...thats his typical strawman argument, and he bemoans any perceived animosity between the 2 leagues and yet he posts a demeaning comment like that.  

Currently they TSN are running hours and hours of airtime on CDN soccer. Features, guests discussing future and growth of the game etc. Having 15min of the CPL commish is the absolute least they could do.  Trying to pass that off as an appeasement to CRTC CDN content is just the usual birdshit that falls all too much here.  

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

What fair point is he making?  We are rightly gobsmacked that TSN actually admitted CPL is a thing.  They have done their best to ignore the league thats right in their back yard. They could post the scores on their homepage crawl.  God forbid show a highlight more than once a season. Nobody ever said TSN should drop MLS and give CPL a juicy contract...thats his typical strawman argument, and he bemoans any perceived animosity between the 2 leagues and yet he posts a demeaning comment like that.  

Currently they TSN are running hours and hours of airtime on CDN soccer. Features, guests discussing future and growth of the game etc. Having 15min of the CPL commish is the absolute least they could do.  Trying to pass that off as an appeasement to CRTC CDN content is just the usual birdshit that falls all too much here.  

That TSN isn't ignoring the CPL out of some grand plan to strangle it for ulterior motives but that they are merely doing it because Canada's Soccer fans, which are indeed decently numerous, are sadly just not sufficiently invested in the league in sufficient number for it to being good business for TSN or any other big sports channel to give them much interest. 

While it is indeed true that nobody did say that TSN had to give a juicy contract to the CPL several people have championed forcing to MLS Canadian franchises to either pack up or shift league as a supposed magical solution to solve all of the CPL's challenges, which is what I was alluding too.

As I said, the formulation was needlessly confrontation but conveying that nobody is out to get the CPL, that there isn't any easy solution to build the league and that the basic issue is that as a product it is facing and will face significant challenge getting traction in Canada's sports landscape is a point worth making. It is also something that need to be internalized by everyone who believe in the CPL if the long, hard, yet potentially very rewarding for everyone in many ways, work needed to truly gave it deep roots in Canada's sports landscape.

At the end of the day TSN and Sportsnet are for-profit sports channels which is mostly made from boomers buying cable packages. So they are serving those viewership interests.

However there is also conflict of interest when TSN and Sportsnet are owned by cable companies that decide "who to platform" into potential wider viewership.

Quebec is closing in on a team. 

for those who aren’t French.

the editor was denied information on legal ground which essentially confirm the existence of negotiations and a process.

he couldn’t get the documents because it may hamper what isn’t going on….

He was twice denied, once for something that didn’t exist and now he’s been denied because… publishing the documents now would tank negotiations. There’s fire.

He speculates that the site has been visited or is about to be. 

Edited by Dominic94

3 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Quebec is closing in on a team. 

for those who aren’t French.

the editor was denied information on legal ground which essentially confirm the existence of negotiations and a process.

he couldn’t get the documents because it may hamper what isn’t going on….

He was twice denied, once for something that didn’t exist and now he’s been denied because… publishing the documents now would tank negotiations. There’s fire.

He speculates that the site has been visited or is about to be. 

So far we have 

Saskatoon, Windsor, Kelowna, Quebec City that could be next and are at least confirmed to have some type of progress (at different stage) in those projects. Who's next?

The more money the league gets via CSB getting more and more sponsorship deals, the more investors will take an interest to the league.