CPL General

17 minutes ago, FC_Hali said:

New rendering of the potential Surrey stadium. It’s a shame Rob Friend and the Vancouver CPL project opted for a competing venue down the road in Langley. The new BC Soccer headquarters/hub in Port Coquitlam also would have been a perfect intimate CPL stadium. I’m not familiar with BC’s soccer landscape but it seems everyone is pulling in different directions. 

This proposal is a pipe dream and may never get built.

Are Vancouver CPL supposed to wait forever to launch?

32 minutes ago, FC_Hali said:

New rendering of the potential Surrey stadium. It’s a shame Rob Friend and the Vancouver CPL project opted for a competing venue down the road in Langley. The new BC Soccer headquarters/hub in Port Coquitlam also would have been a perfect intimate CPL stadium. I’m not familiar with BC’s soccer landscape but it seems everyone is pulling in different directions. 

Sums things up perfectly, tbh.

2 hours ago, FC_Hali said:

What are the odds of this stadium ever being built? 25000:1?

1 hour ago, narduch said:

...This politician isn't even elected yet...

The World Cup is happening though and this may not be the only municipality in Metro Vancouver where something could potentially happen in terms of a legacy project dressed up initially as a "training facility". York United and Woodbine vs what the CSA want to do in the City of Vaughan is the GTA equivalent of this.

12 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The World Cup is happening though and this may not be the only municipality in Metro Vancouver where something could potentially happen in terms of a legacy project dressed up initially as a "training facility". York United and Woodbine vs what the CSA want to do in the City of Vaughan is the GTA equivalent of this.

I know 4 years is a long time, but it feels like time is running out to get these going for the World Cup.

The City of Toronto already laid out their plan for which venues they are upgrading for World Cup training facilities.

In Vaughan the mayor that was championing that facility with the CSA is not seeking reelection. That proposal could die as well.

3 hours ago, FC_Hali said:

You're suggesting Friend throwing his support in favour of the challenger for mayor and then waiting 4 years for a proposal with no budget and no funding would have been better?

Or that BC Soccer gift a venue to a private club?

I'm in Surrey a couple times a week for work and I drive past this location. This will happen. It's just how big and who's involved. The new BC Lions owner seems to be a sharp guy. I'd be shocked if the Lions and Friend's crew haven't been chatting. It's too good of a location to not build something really nice. The attached concert venue is desperately needed. It really doesn't matter who the mayor is, it will likely happen regardless. The interesting thing will be how with all the changes in that area will turn out. It will either be completely turned around and cleaned up with all the crazy development or you might have to wear a bullet proof vest to games. Could go either way at this point

Edited by SpursFlu

37 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

That's been obvious since they filled the roster mainly with loan deals. Would the league want to drop to 7 again though if Vancouver is delayed though? Means a lot of weeknight games that usually don't draw so well.

Weeknight games are a better draw than weekends in the summer months in many parts of the country. 

It shouldn't be a surprise that as they stand, FC Edmonton are completely unattractive to potential ownership groups. Few season ticket holders, terrible game day experience, limited revenue potential at home games, dwindling supporters groups and a losing brand. 

IMO there shouldn't even be a need for a bid to buy the club, as why would any investor want to pay money for the right to lose millions a year? Any financially solid group willing to take over funding the club while putting out something resembling a professional product should be accepted.

The first time they folded, it was sad, as I thought the Fath's should have been lauded for their investment into the game when no one else was interested (albeit with constant mistakes that crippled the club from day one). If they do fold again, this time, it's good riddance from me. Seeing the ownership group put up such a pathetic product since moving to CPL and listening to the constant excuses from the guys Fath's paid over the years as to why everyone else was to blame for the club's lack of success, there's no point in continuing until an ownership group wants to do so, and take it seriously.

5 hours ago, Big_M said:

Nef says theres a pretty good chance Edmonton folds

Since seeing those Koch hidden tweets I have thought they will almost certainly take next year off with a chance to get a new owner, rebrand and rebuild. It would be an easy switch for a year or two with Vancouver coming in to keep it an even 8. Then maybe Edmonton return with another franchise in 2024 or 25 (Saskatoon/Windsor/somewhere else) to make it 10 teams.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Winnipeg I'll happily concede but where else do you think that applies?

For CFL, this is a common refrain across the 4 prairie cities.

That said, an odd number of teams in a small league does certainly make for awkward scheduling overall that far outweighs the potential of fewer summer weekend games in cities like Winnipeg.

I would prefer to see fewer early afternoon games, though, especially in summer.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You're suggesting Friend throwing his support in favour of the challenger for mayor and then waiting 4 years for a proposal with no budget and no funding would have been better?

Or that BC Soccer gift a venue to a private club?

I think a collaborative partnership between the Vancouver CPL club and the provincial association could actually be very beneficial for both player development and building a fanbase. Obviously such a partnership involving a stadium would require some sort of co-financing rather than “gifting a venue” as you suggest but that’s a moot point. 

As for the speculated Surrey stadium, I’m just a guy reading a tweet and putting 2 and 2 together. I imagine securing land anywhere in the lower mainland is incredibly difficult so I just hope they explored the option since there seems to be an appetite, that’s all. Time will tell how the team will fair in Langley. I’m sure waiting a few extra years for the best location possible will seem much more appealing if the team becomes another York. 

2 hours ago, Treppy2 said:

I offer this without any comment: The ranking of the eight teams in the final standings is almost exactly inversely proportional to their U-21 minutes tally.

I think for several of the teams playing U-21 Canadians in big minutes it is because those sorts of players come cheap. I think a table of player salary spending would fairly closely match the final standings, though I doubt we'll ever be privy to such information.

14 hours ago, Treppy2 said:

I offer this without any comment: The ranking of the eight teams in the final standings is almost exactly inversely proportional to their U-21 minutes tally.

True enough but an incorrect correlation to my mind. Or at least very incomplete one.

On 10/12/2022 at 6:08 AM, FC_Hali said:
The new BC Soccer headquarters/hub in Port Coquitlam also would have been a perfect intimate CPL stadium.

No, the parcel of land is much too small and has no easy access to anything.

On 10/12/2022 at 6:08 AM, FC_Hali said:
I’m not familiar with BC’s soccer landscape but it seems everyone is pulling in different directions. 

Oh, so you ARE familiar with BC's soccer landscape. 😜

10 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Care to elaborate?

The correlation is not incorrect, it is simple math.  What is up in the air is what is causing the correlation.  Are teams losing because they are playing lots of U-21 minutes, or are they playing lots of U-21 minutes because they are a losing?  Maybe the cause is explained by payroll, as mentioned above?  You can't blame the correlation for any inferences drawn from it.