CPL General

28 minutes ago, Kingston said:

A lot of salary-capped leagues have some number of exceptions or special cases.  I'm okay with a bit of that if it helps the league although I'd prefer they avoid anything too byzantine.

I believe previously there was an exception for USports contracts.  Does that exception still exist and if so what this their minimum salary.  May be quite different as many USports contracts are for a shorter duration (ending as school returns in Sept)

Can anyone explain why we still see so many single season contracts? Most of the players in the league are known commodities now, compared to year 1. At this point it seems like clubs should be trying to sign players on longer term, and perhaps earn fees if they move on.

5 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Can anyone explain why we still see so many single season contracts? Most of the players in the league are known commodities now, compared to year 1. At this point it seems like clubs should be trying to sign players on longer term, and perhaps earn fees if they move on.

I'd guess because Year 2 or a club exercised option includes a pre determined increase.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Over 12 months, yes but the league isn't going all year long

56 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

If we estimated the season to be like 35 weeks long, it's about equivalent to $21/hour at a full-time job.

For sure, but it at least gives them the equivalent to a full time minimum wage job even if they don't work for pay in the offseason but instead focus on taking some time off and continuing to build skills.  It's a good thing.

17 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Exactly!

Don't be this guy

I think its a bit unfair comparison because the CEBL strategically plays in the summer to take advantage of the various arenas already in place across Canada. CPL's biggest challenge is proper facilities 

Hater convention at it again 

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I think its a bit unfair comparison because the CEBL strategically plays in the summer to take advantage of the various arenas already in place across Canada. CPL's biggest challenge is proper facilities 

CBL is a joke league.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

We shouldn't let "haters" looking for attention make us put 2 leagues in opposition. I support both leagues despite the comparison being dishonest to those who follow him

Why is everyone in such a hurry to define things in opposition to one an other. I like the CEBL, I like CPL, I like epl, I like MLS, I like CFL, I like NFL. Some more than others for various reasons but that's me. It's all good, no need to pit things against each other and not support things in your own community because someone convinced you it's not cool

Edited by SpursFlu

Well just remember this the next time Rollins is on twitter saying he is fair with CPL coverage and wishes the best for it etc etc...cough...cough...B#LLSHIT!!!  Before I compare,  I want to sick parrotdroppings all over it.  Complete with pics of crowds attendance, critques of Canadian Basketball Ventures and condesending talk of the wages, level of play and how it compares to the NBA.   Not to shit on CEBL and CDN b-ball at all, good for them.  But for a soccer guy to try and throw shade on CPL based on this comparison is just low.  

10 hours ago, Ansem said:

Over 12 months, yes but the league isn't going all year long

But the athletes are. 

There is no close season for these men. Not a one is taking four months off to go muck about doing this, that, or the next thing.  Not unless this, that, or the next thing involves keeping in stupid good shape and disciplining their footy skills and mental timing. 

Maybe Rafi is selling cars on the weekends down at a Honda dealership.  Maybe not.  But I'm damned sure he isn't subcontracted to dig holes for wateworks over the winter months.  Not if he plans on returning to a CPL pitch in 2023.

$30K base min.  isn't too bad.  I'm sure it doesn't make things easy for the way these fellows have to live 24/7, 365 but I expect it's an improvement for more than 1 or 2 players out there. 

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Since it's question time, do they get full social insurance for the entire year? Are those full year contracts?

And what sort of restrictions on other work might they have? Can they play pick up, can they do certain other jobs, in the offseason? Or even during the season?

I've wondered about this myself.  If you're out of contract can you go on The Dole?  How about if you're not? If you call it a seasonal lay-off does that mean you still qualify?  No, we're not talking about a pile of money here, 4 months of EI isn't making anybody rich but still, for a lot of households those dollars would absolutely make a difference.

Lots of other questions which will hopefully get answered in time.  Health coverage for foreign players?  Related to that since pro-athletes aren't covered by Workers Comp. what's the leagues policy (if any) related to coveage for workplace injuries?  It's been spelled out how under 21 salaries work within the salary cap but how about on-loan players?  Is there something in place similar to what they have in other salary capped leagues that addresses players who've sustained season ending injuries and how their wages are handled within that salary cap not to mention roster places.  Blah, blah, blah. 

With or without certification and a collective agreement if the union movement is seeing these questions answered and standardized by the league then it's doing it's job.  

8 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

CEBL also plays a short summer season so they can get players in their offseason from more lucrative contracts in Europe or the G-League. It is the main gig for very few players. This is not a model the CPL should aspire to.

On 11/8/2022 at 9:53 PM, Kent said:

I guess the one (minor) downside to this news is that it looks like the start of MLS-like salary cap trickery rules, which I am not a fan of.

I agree this could become annoying. But the U21 minutes provision has to do with salary cap relief, and it is my understanding that few teams if any (I guess Forge) are up against the cap. The most encouraging aspect of the new rules is raising the floor.

5 hours ago, jonovision said:

...This is not a model the CPL should aspire to.

...sure everybody aspires to more when looking at it in best case scenario fantasy mode but it might be the sort of model that is actually sustainable for the forseeable future and that is relatively straightforward to expand. If FCE folds by the end of the year, CanPL will only be another franchise folding away from a major existential crisis. Having some sort of stable league that can grow organically later is better than the 1992 CSL scenario and its aftermath all over again.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

10 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Why is everyone in such a hurry to define things in opposition to one an other. I like the CEBL, I like CPL, I like epl, I like MLS, I like CFL, ...

Something to bear in mind is that a combatorial CanPL vs MLS mindset was how people inside the CSA bubble and associated with CanPL viewed things when the league was being organized and launched so the various hangers on and sycophants picked up on that vibe in a big way as well. A CEBL approach isn't D1 enough for a lot of people to keep the whole CanPL vs MLS thing going so doesn't go down well with some.

"But where are the Canadian players?" was the question Bob Young & Co were asking around 2018 or so. On the roster for the Bahrain game is the answer in late 2022 and three of them spent some time in CanPL so having both leagues complements each other and helps add greater depth to the CMNT player pool.

It's more difficult to sell the three MLS academy systems as worth the time and effort for the players involved if all that's available at the end of it is a very limited number of MLS roster spots. CanPL can more readily adopt a Brentford approach because they exist. No reason why the two leagues can't wind up with a symbiotic relationship in other words beyond what's going on in some people's heads.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

18 hours ago, Ansem said:

Exactly!

Don't be this guy

Can the guys that are more familiar with Rollins fill me in here? Out of context (I haven't paid attention to him since he became more podcast focused instead of writing articles) it looks like an honest question rather than actual shade being thrown. I'm not sure exactly what the question is though. Is it lower budget, lower attendance, but more teams? Is that what he is asking if we would trade the current state of the CPL with?

From what I see, attendance in the CEBL this past season looks to be significantly lower than CPL, and with soccer teams needing about double the number of players, it's not clear to me that downsizing to CEBL level (I am assuming it's lower paid, but I don't actually know that) would even work in a soccer context.

Where are CEBL games viewable? Honest question that I don't know the answer to. Are you able to watch each game like we can with CPL? That would go towards my potential answer to Duane's question.

My attendance source is wikipedia. Looks like there are several games missing from CEBL's numbers (like all of Fraser Valley and Saskatchewan's games, and all but 2 of Newfoundland's games).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_CEBL_season#Attendance

Pos Team Total High Low Average Change
1 Montreal Alliance 29,290 3,500 2,214 2,929 n/a
2 Niagara River Lions 22,737 3,247 1,549 2,274 n/a
3 Ottawa Blackjacks 18,159 3,538 1,408 1,816 n/a
4 Edmonton Stingers 17,300 3,000 800 1,922 n/a
5 Scarborough Shooting Stars 14,682 2,280 1,317 1,631 n/a
6 Hamilton Honey Badgers 18,109 2,904 1,260 1,811 n/a
7 Guelph Nighthawks 13,341 2,992 780 1,482 n/a
8 Newfoundland Growlers 1,892 1,084 808 946 n/a
9 Fraser Valley Bandits         n/a
10 Saskatchewan Rattlers         n/a
  League total 91,192 3,538 780 1,824 n/a

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Canadian_Premier_League_season#Attendance

Pos Team Total High Low Average Change
1 HFX Wanderers FC 81,547 6,500 4,332 5,825 n/a
2 Atlético Ottawa 56,961 6,574 2,571 4,069 n/a
3 Cavalry FC 48,883 4,743 2,943 3,492 n/a
4 Forge FC 48,027 5,129 1,187 3,431 n/a
5 Pacific FC 44,459 4,107 2,420 3,176 n/a
6 Valour FC 43,547 5,227 2,395 3,111 n/a
7 York United FC 17,272 1,802 1,002 1,234 n/a
8 FC Edmonton 15,000 1,613 600 1,071 n/a
  League total 355,696 6,574 600 3,176 n/a

I don't really follow Rollins either, but I think @Kent and others kinda answered the question.  The two leagues really aren't comparable. I've been to a few River Lions games and wish the league success.

Also, why Rollins brings up the positive in expansion to Winnipeg, he leaves out the negative that the Guelph team folded IIRC?