CPL General

6 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Well exactly.. so a closed North American league would mean what? A closed league to 10 MLS teams?

I think its a dumb idea either way. But at least in Europe with the history and the business model right off the bat you can pull out 12 teams across the continent that are on another level based on performance. With the American franchise salary cap with no real history or big support discrepancies, how would you select the priviledged few who would join the priviledged few Mexican teams in some kinda Super League?

I don't really care about a potential MLS-LigaMX merger, but at a level where billions of dollars are at play there are always ways around perceived inequities and discrepencies.

I only really responded to the flawed statement about MLS not being able to figure out how to keep itself to 20 teams. MLS never wanted that, so there was no figuring out to be done.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I know you overstated it, so I don't mind.

Clearly they do have a little brother syndrome, and have for half a century. 

In Madrid itself, it is also a class thing, in part, the south of the city and the working and lower middle class is more Atlético, the middle and upper middle, and the political and economic agents, are more Madrid fans.

They can't rival Real Madrid, but they can get more out of their brand for the kind of team they are. They have won leagues over RM and Barça, they won Europa League, they compete at a high level. They blew two finals against El Real which really hurt them, winning one would really have turned things around for them. A new stadium. But problems with their international branding. They sell merchandise, draw sponsors and get tv and other income way below what they should for the level of quality they've shown over this last decade or so.

Usually winning is what helps you leapfrog in these matters. Then, these little other things you do to get a slight edge, like the CPL project.

I think it will be interesting if the Club World Cup is in LA. People will be shocked when at the finals there will be 60k Flamengo fans and 10k Real Madrid fans. Of course Flamengo still needs to win their final but if they do.. the Club World Cup in the US will be an eye opener for many. I think people will start to see dollar signs 

The smart play is not some North American super league but a Conmebol Concacaf joint effort Club competition 

Edited by SpursFlu

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Well exactly.. so a closed North American league would mean what? A closed league to 10 MLS teams?

I think its a dumb idea either way. But at least in Europe with the history and the business model right off the bat you can pull out 12 teams across the continent that are on another level based on performance. With the American franchise salary cap with no real history or big support discrepancies, how would you select the priviledged few who would join the priviledged few Mexican teams in some kinda Super League?

Since we're way out in thought-experiment land anyway:  The selection would probably be for the big market/high spending teams.  Not even necessarily 10 MLS and 10 LMX but instead the teams that have the resources and desire to go above the current level.

30 minutes ago, RS said:

I don't really care about a potential MLS-LigaMX merger, but at a level where billions of dollars are at play there are always ways around perceived inequities and discrepencies.

I only really responded to the flawed statement about MLS not being able to figure out how to keep itself to 20 teams. MLS never wanted that, so there was no figuring out to be done.

I'm thinking that the league will grow to be like MLB (National & American) and have a "World Serie" at the end 😁

My point is why stop expansion as long as groups are willing to sign a cheque and build stadiums?

27 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'm thinking that the league will grow to be like MLB (National & American) and have a "World Serie" at the end 😁

My point is why stop expansion as long as groups are willing to sign a cheque and build stadiums?

I think you are right.

An argument could be made that they should have stopped earlier because adding additional (and what will become progressively smaller value) markets just cuts the pie slices smaller at some point.  But I think they will eventually get to 30 something and then effectively divide in half.  Two x 18 makes for a 34 game home and away on each side. 

Cavalry's club program is an absolute stroke of genius. Cavalry get additional season ticket and group ticket revenue, clubs get training with the pros, a way to build a connection with the pro team and fundraising. 14 youth clubs in Calgary and surrounding area already signed up. 

If you're wondering why Cavalry are the only club to have grown their fan base over 2019, this is a big part of it. How many of these youth club players going to Cavalry games are going to be buying tickets of their own 10 years from now....

https://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/club-program

image.png.575f2eb71ee348e3c33b3c1fa3f11975.png

9 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think it will be interesting if the Club World Cup is in LA. People will be shocked when at the finals there will be 60k Flamengo fans and 10k Real Madrid fans. Of course Flamengo still needs to win their final but if they do.. the Club World Cup in the US will be an eye opener for many. I think people will start to see dollar signs 

The smart play is not some North American super league but a Conmebol Concacaf joint effort Club competition 

They already saw dollar signs when they did the Copa America in the US.  I don't think any organizer will be shocked by the attendance (or source of attendance) for this.

21 hours ago, Watchmen said:

They already saw dollar signs when they did the Copa America in the US.  I don't think any organizer will be shocked by the attendance (or source of attendance) for this.

I was actually referring to the size and scope of the South American support. More specifically a team from the Brasileirao 

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I was actually referring to the size and scope of the South American support. More specifically a team from the Brasileirao 

I think they know.  It's why the Copa America was held in the US.  It's why they briefly attempted the Copa Merconorte, but it was too small of a tournament at too early a stage of MLS.  But the only people who will be "surprised" by it's success are casual sports broadcasters who pay no attention to soccer.

Putting a more positive spin on it, if there is a new ownership a complete rebranding and new team name is very possible given the previous disconnect with some quarters of the fanbase and community in general. A new manager might also be a part of that vision. Koch has done magnificent job all things considered though.

19 hours ago, Big_M said:

Koch thanking ppl for past years and talking about final match..that doesnt sound too optimistic for the future

image.png.4804438dc6e203f5bd8d88d9eae54613.png

image.png.3b12daf174f6315d2b2396443a6ccbf7.png

If you look at his LinkedIn. He's been posting more often as if he auditioning for a new role / job in the cpl. Great content

On 10/8/2022 at 3:50 PM, toontownman said:

Putting a more positive spin on it, if there is a new ownership a complete rebranding and new team name is very possible given the previous disconnect with some quarters of the fanbase and community in general. A new manager might also be a part of that vision. Koch has done magnificent job all things considered though.

I'm not from Edmonton but, from my outside perspective, if an Edmonton team is going to succeed, it needs to be a hard reboot, possibly even with a season or two without a team.  The new group would have to come in first class all the way.  Don't talk about what you plan to do - show it.  Start with a stadium announcement, a couple of recognizable player signings, and a marketing blitz that is all about this being a pro team that will target winning.  Anything less will be met with indifference or a wait-and-see attitude amongst fans.

31 minutes ago, Kingston said:

I'm not from Edmonton but, from my outside perspective, if an Edmonton team is going to succeed, it needs to be a hard reboot, possibly even with a season or two without a team.  The new group would have to come in first class all the way.  Don't talk about what you plan to do - show it.  Start with a stadium announcement, a couple of recognizable player signings, and a marketing blitz that is all about this being a pro team that will target winning.  Anything less will be met with indifference or a wait-and-see attitude amongst fans.

It is hard for me to to get excited, involved from afar about team seemingly on the edge a lot of the time. Despite growing up watching soccer in Edmonton (some, I was from the country really).  I saw a friend post an 1997 Ital Canadian team photo (with Lars Hirschfeld) on Facebook the other day and I have friends whose kids played against Davies and one of my old employers (who I like) is one of FC Edmonton's sponsors.  I would love a team that deveoped its own youth, had players you could to know for a few years and, of course, competed. 

Really not sure what the answer is. 

New rendering of the potential Surrey stadium. It’s a shame Rob Friend and the Vancouver CPL project opted for a competing venue down the road in Langley. The new BC Soccer headquarters/hub in Port Coquitlam also would have been a perfect intimate CPL stadium. I’m not familiar with BC’s soccer landscape but it seems everyone is pulling in different directions.