CPL General

I'm half hoping that Kam Habibullah gets a loan to Pacific if he's not going to get sufficient minutes with the 'Caps. I think he'd be unplayable in CanPL. Then again, if MDS gets sacked, Kam will want to be there on Day 1 to impress the new manager.

I was thinking about starting a new thread but then decided just to put it here.  For folks who are really following the rosters and signings, who are the young Canadian players to watch this season?   I think FCEd just signed a 16 year old keeper so it got me wondering what other young prospects we may see this year.  

• 2 months later...

This is just a general feeling, but the quality of play seems much better overall compared to the first season.  Play was generally more earnest and frantic in the first season, making the games more chaotic.  There seems to be more structure now.  I'm just finding most games are more enjoyable to watch.  But who knows, maybe the players are too tired and beat up now to play as hard as they did in the first season.  Anyone else have any general observations about the direction of the league?

1 hour ago, rkomar said:

This is just a general feeling, but the quality of play seems much better overall compared to the first season.  Play was generally more earnest and frantic in the first season, making the games more chaotic.  There seems to be more structure now.  I'm just finding most games are more enjoyable to watch.  But who knows, maybe the players are too tired and beat up now to play as hard as they did in the first season.  Anyone else have any general observations about the direction of the league?

Now the season and teams are getting back in the swing of things there are definitely improvements on the attacking side. Defences have been a bit poor, maybe worse than 2020 but hard to really compare the two seasons and goalkeeping is generally weak in the league too imo. If I was starting up a team in this league and building a roster, a high quality keeper would be a must in terms of spending/cap space.

On 8/28/2021 at 4:37 PM, rkomar said:

I was thinking about this post flipping through Opta stats:

2019 passing accuracy 77.72% avg, 80.21% high (Pacific), 74.37% low (HFX)

2020 passing accuracy 78.54% avg. 81.60 %high (FCE), 74.58% low (HFX)

2021 passing accuracy 82.02 avg, 85.22% high (Pacific), 79.45% low (York)

MLS passing accuracy this year is 81.40% avg.

21 hours ago, Macksam said:

They showed highlights of both games on Sportsnet Central this morning.

They also announced they are broadcasting the qualifiers as well. Seems like they are making a push to match TSN's MLS/LA Liga coverage.

Am I reading this right, the had CPL highlights? That's awesome! Hopefully that is a real change, and not just due to a slow day or promoting the national team games or something.

54 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Yes, pretty good.  Goes into how the securing of internationals works, some of the goals of the league and achievements to date, some of the ups and downs of the first few seasons and the bubble tournament.

• 2 weeks later...

OK as far as it goes, but access to this would probably have been better:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/historic-reimagined-leagues-cup-starting-in-2023

It sounds like the initial plan for the revamped Champions League was modified to exclude CanPL clubs from a North American group stage format (that is now being superceded by this Leagues Cup revamp) to a straight knockout format where CanPL teams are probably not expected to linger long if seeding is involved and probably at a time of year (Feb and Mar?) that is problematic logistically in a Canadian context, or maybe I am missing something?

Edit: also being discussed here:

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot