CPL General

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I haven’t been checking the CPL threads as much lately so can someone update me with the latest (if any) news re the timing and format of the upcoming season.   

On Friday they confirmed they are doing the first part of the season in PEI again, this time with limited public. Starting the last weekend of May, 7 matches each.

I'm surprised you hadn't heard.

Damn I appreciate you too much @dyslexic namto keep a straight face.

23 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

On Friday they confirmed they are doing the first part of the season in PEI again, this time with limited public. Starting the last weekend of May, 7 matches each.

I'm surprised you hadn't heard.

Damn I appreciate you too much @dyslexic namto keep a straight face.

I know that wouldn’t be most people’s first choice, but damn it would make me happy.  

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I haven’t been checking the CPL threads as much lately so can someone update me with the latest (if any) news re the timing and format of the upcoming season.   

Haven't heard anything from the league directly. Oliver Platt from One Soccer has recently said there could be a bubble or 2 different hubs to start the season, but it isn't the only option still. Definitely not starting in May.

Seems like they are waiting to see if they can play in home cities. I would speculate they are waiting on Ontario, seeing if the current lockdown actually ends whenever the hell it's supposed to end and see if teams can actually start training at that point or shortly thereafter.

Peter Schaale and other Wanderers players are doing some similar work back home by promoting COVID testing. Great to see the teams doing what they can to promote the measures needed to get us all back on track. 

And if a successful vaccination campaign in MB leads to a bubble tournament at IG Field to kick off the season, well then that would just be a happy coincidence. :)

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

This is more or less accurate, if CPL had more money I'm sure we could challenge Honduras and Costa Rica Though. 

MLS could overtake Liga MX in the next 5 years 

I disagree with Nef. It's only one team, Forge. It's Canada's champions beating Panama and Guatemala's number 3 teams and losing to a Haitian team. Without seeing more Canadian CPL teams playing in CONCACAF tournaments, I would say two runs by Forge doesn't suddenly make us the 5th best league.

Edited by Trois Reds

22 hours ago, Trois Reds said:

I disagree with Nef. It's only one team, Forge. It's Canada's champions beating Panama and Guatemala's number 3 teams and losing to a Haitian team. Without seeing more Canadian CPL teams playing in CONCACAF tournaments, I would say two runs by Forge doesn't suddenly make us the 5th best league.

I don't think that Halifax or a healthy Cavalry gets beat by Arcahaie or does significantly worse than Forge.

I think he's spot on

I think people are forgetting about the amount of money coming in to LigaMX. Yes MLS is getting better but so is LigaMX. Maybe we should pull back to 10k feet and start asking which leagues are both MLS and LigaMX passing. 

I think if the MLS was 20 teams and you funel all the resources to those 20 teams, MLS overtakes a lot of leagues. MLS biggest enemy is itself when it comes to standard of play and global recognition 

As far as CPL is concerned, I think its 3rd on that list within 5 years. Top Central American teams will still be just as good as CPL but too to bottom CPL will surpass. I also think a Central American Super League will emerge soon anyways

Edited by SpursFlu

I mean... Liga MX just bagged Thauvin. Top clubs outspend MLS by a lot. There's value for Euro guys to join clubs dominating in Champions League and play the best at CWC, MLS doesn’t offer that quite yet. MLS might surpass MX eventually but I don't buy it in the short term... Medium term at best.

I agree with Spurs CPL becoming top 3 happens within 5 years.

Those CCL berth guaranteeing home games with Liga MX and MLS clubs while being on big time TV in places like Azteca, Monterrey or New York will drive up interest in CPL and revenue.

Salary goes up, better venues (Look at Pacific foresight) and the league wanting Saskatoon type of venues from the get go...

I see it happen. Our growth will be fast

Edited by Ansem

5 hours ago, toontownman said:

Bring on 2023, the revamped CL and two direct berths for CPL Teams. Hopefully we are up to at least 10 teams in the league by then too. 

This has me nervous tbh.

More places in the Concacaf league or Champions league prior to the change of format yea....but in this new format, I’m nervous about teams being blown out of their depth. 

I guess I just gotta hope for a significant cap increase.

15 minutes ago, Shway said:

This has me nervous tbh.

More places in the Concacaf league or Champions league prior to the change of format yea....but in this new format, I’m nervous about teams being blown out of their depth. 

I guess I just gotta hope for a significant cap increase.

We used to send USL clubs to the lion's den way back...

Let's stop treating CPL like this fragile thing that will break after one bump.

Will we do significantly worse than Tauro or Marathon? We should celebrate the opportunity and if anything, this forces the league to raise the level and budgets.

Getting murdered on a Continental level tends to be bad for business. I expect them aiming to at least lose with dignity by being competitive at first.

Eventually, the aim will be to make the play-in spots, then win them, then get out of the group. 

Baby steps.

Sometimes, facing more than you chew is exactly what makes you stronger in the long run. 

goku GIF

MLS did, why on earth would CPL be any different 

Edited by Ansem

34 minutes ago, Ansem said:

We used to send USL clubs to the lion's den way back...

You can’t be that naive. I’m assuming you are referring to Montreal back in 2009 or 2010. When they played Nicaraguan side Real Esteli in the preliminary round, and advanced to the group stage to play .....Joe Republic of Trinidad, Olympia of Honduras, and Atlante of Mexico.

Let's stop treating CPL like this fragile thing that will break after one bump.

Fragile no - but over 4 games, they more than likely will be broken 4 times.

Will we do significantly worse than Tauro or Marathon? We should celebrate the opportunity and if anything, this forces the league to raise the level and budgets.

Not really a relevant comparison when they aren’t part of the region that we will play unless a CPL advances to the next proper.

Getting murdered on a Continental level tends to be bad for business. I expect them aiming to at least lose with dignity by being competitive 

Fragile is the fans, and the perception. 
Its better to be proactive than reactive. I’m hoping the increase in the salary and competitiveness happens before the blowouts by each team.

Edited by Shway

It is a learning process to be sure. Have to weigh up the negatives and positives. 

Are we going in too soon like this or are we providing experience and opportunities off and on the pitch? Having big sides come into Halifax or hopefully one day a Saskatoon is only a good thing economically even if it is a big loss. On the flipside is it showing the league is a joke if we get beaten so soundly?

It is also about the ceiling of the league. For those clubs that get humped every year do they have the potential for their league to grow and give them resources to grow and get better. The sky is still the limit with CPL and it certainly has the outward vision and pathway to grow to be a top 3 league in Concacaf. 

We have another 2 seasons until that change. We are supposed to be at a higher salary cup by then which may have even improved more. The signs are positive so far imo for CanPL in CCL. I don't think we gain as much by sitting back until the time is right to be more competitive than we would be now. These extra spots are a gift for the growth of the game in Canada imo. 

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

I mean... Liga MX just bagged Thauvin. Top clubs outspend MLS by a lot. There's value for Euro guys to join clubs dominating in Champions League and play the best at CWC, MLS doesn’t offer that quite yet. MLS might surpass MX eventually but I don't buy it in the short term... Medium term at best.

I agree with Spurs CPL becoming top 3 happens within 5 years.

Those CCL berth guaranteeing home games with Liga MX and MLS clubs while being on big time TV in places like Azteca, Monterrey or New York will drive up interest in CPL and revenue.

Salary goes up, better venues (Look at Pacific foresight) and the league wanting Saskatoon type of venues from the get go...

I see it happen. Our growth will be fast

LigaMX building a lot of really nice new stadiums as well

5 hours ago, Shway said:

You can’t be that naive. I’m assuming you are referring to Montreal back in 2009 or 2010. When they played Nicaraguan side Real Esteli in the preliminary round, and advanced to the group stage to play .....Joe Republic of Trinidad, Olympia of Honduras, and Atlante of Mexico.

They played a Mexican club. Yes they lost but what it did for football in Montreal was a turning point. I believe CCL will do the same for CPL. 

5 hours ago, Shway said:

Fragile no - but over 4 games, they more than likely will be broken 4 times.

They come back stronger and be better for it. MLS club got played out of the pitch and so did Central American clubs. We're not worse than they are, this will just force the clubs and league to adjust and come back better.

5 hours ago, Shway said:

Not really a relevant comparison when they aren’t part of the region that we will play unless a CPL advances to the next proper.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

5 hours ago, Shway said:

Fragile is the fans, and the perception. 
Its better to be proactive than reactive. I’m hoping the increase in the salary and competitiveness happens before the blowouts by each team.

Fans from place like Halifax or Winnipeg will celebrate actually be at the dance than being turned of being soundly beat by a Mexican side. This happened to MLS and Central American clubs and their fanbase didn't ditch their clubs.

I have more faith in the fans than that

On 5/7/2021 at 1:58 PM, Ruffian said:

heardthatbefore.gif.5048fcd135682ad787daaa8bd52b6e5c.gif

19 hours ago, Ansem said:

I have to disagree here bro. Again, I have to bring up 2023, something big is coming down the line for MLS media deal wise and when it does, the league's revenues will leapfrog those of Liga MX. Once that happens, it will take 1, max 2 years for an equilibrium to occur with regards to the league's salaries and talent level, and once that occurs, MLS will never look back. It will be a good thing, in time for the 2026 World Cup.

Edited by Macksam