CPL General

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

MLS TV ratings stink.

Beside how many years have we been hearing about this?

I also think the league is too big now. So the talent is spread thin.

TV Ratings continue to increase actually, every weekend so far there've been MLS games that have outperformed Premier League games. 

The talent is spread thin - Can I counter this argument with we have more teams who are looking to bring talent to the league such as Cinci bringing in Acosta from Liga MX and Brenner from the Brazilian Serie A despite coming last place last year? 

No relegation means even teams at the bottom of the table can build projects with the goal of eventually winning the league. 

24 minutes ago, narduch said:

MLS TV ratings stink.

Beside how many years have we been hearing about this?

I also think the league is too big now. So the talent is spread thin.

TV ratings aren't the greatest but currently that has a lot to do with how fragmented the TV soccer market is and like mentioned above, MLS games routinely beat EPL games ratings wise. Also, some significant DP signings can give the league some bargaining power when the current deal expires. 

Edited by Macksam

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

TV ratings aren't the greatest but currently that has a lot to do with how fragmented the TV soccer market is and like mentioned above, MLS games routinely beat EPL games ratings wise. Also, some significant DP signings can give the league some bargaining power when the current deal expires. 

Are MLS games beating out Liga MX games yet? This is the most recent thing I could find with a bit of googling.

https://the18.com/en/soccer-news/liga-mx-usa-tv-ratings-vs-mls-epl-telemundo-tudn

It says for that week there were 4 Liga MX games with 2.5, 1.6, 1.5, and 1.3 million viewers and another Liga MX game at 813k viewers. The highest rated MLS game that week was 484k viewers. If MLS can get a big TV contract, Liga MX may be able to as well.

As for how MLS is trending, all I could find was this, with just 2018 and 2019 numbers, a significant drop in 2019 numbers.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/308161/number-mls-tv-viewers-usa/

I have no idea about streaming numbers for either league.

It's not about rising revenues for MLS that will help it surpass ligaMX as most MLS owners are happy running a discount league. 

MLS needs to change their benchmarks of being a top league since it largely focuses on revenues, infrastructure, attendance etc.. but less on the quality of play. Given most MLS teams are not making profits so far, I can't see any rising tv revenues being deployed to materially increase player salaries.

Plus, any increase in player spending has been mostly on attacking players with little allocated to depth, back line and goalkeepers. In contrast, ligaMX clubs have more complete and balanced line ups. 

According to Forbes techish like team valuations, 3 MLS teams are already more valuable than ligaMX clubs. But looking at payrolls, Monterrey is dishing out US$81m which is more than the 4 highest MLS team payrolls combined. Puebla's relatively lower payroll of US$22m is only slightly lower than TFC but higher than LA Galaxy.

LigaMX payroll structure is in line with top football leagues that pay out 80%+ of their revenues for player salaries. This has been helped by no salary caps and having some owners who have unlimited funds.

In contrast, MLS is following the North American pro sports league model of emphasizing the business side which means salaries account for much less of the revenues. 

Edited by red card

7 hours ago, Macksam said:

I have to disagree here bro. Again, I have to bring up 2023, something big is coming down the line for MLS media deal wise and when it does, the league's revenues will leapfrog those of Liga MX. Once that happens, it will take 1, max 2 years for an equilibrium to occur with regards to the league's salaries and talent level, and once that occurs, MLS will never look back. It will be a good thing, in time for the 2026 World Cup.

However, they spend their salaries so inefficiently. I agree with you only if they drop their DP, TAM, GAM, ZAM, BAM and other whatever scheme.

Otherwise, yes they will catch up to mid level Liga MX but stay out of reach of the top clubs who have no spending restrictions

MLS Salary number came out today, and it is pretty sobering.

The base salary is USD $63,547 in MLS. That's about $77,101 in CAD.

What was the highest salary in the CPL? Bustos at 60k. That's a HUGE discrepancy.

I know we all would love for Canadians who are out of favour in MLS to come here (Hamilton, AJH, Morgan, Fraser) but realistically the paycuts they'd have to take would be huge.

Not to mention purely from a financial point of view taking the money in USD is so much more attractive.

I wonder how USL number compare.

edit: Looks like Bustos made 77k CAD. So the higest earner in the CPL got the base MLS salary.

Edited by VinceA

17 minutes ago, VinceA said:

What was the highest salary in the CPL? Bustos at 60k. That's a HUGE discrepancy.

I know we all would love for Canadians who are out of favour in MLS to come here (Hamilton, AJH, Morgan, Fraser) but realistically the paycuts they'd have to take would be huge.

Not to mention purely from a financial point of view taking the money in USD is so much more attractive.

Probably around 40k min to 100k ?

in some MLS cities it’s very cheap to live, but I don’t know how a Edwards can live on 60K usd in LA..,

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Why convert CPL salaries to USD when they're living and playing in Canada?

3 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Why convert CPL salaries to USD when they're living and playing in Canada?

Because the MLS players are also (normally) living and playing in Canada, but earning in US. You need to convert one of the salaries for a better basis of comparison.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Because the MLS players are also (normally) living and playing in Canada, but earning in US. You need to convert one of the salaries for a better basis of comparison.

CPL aren't aiming for those players others than the ones who are on the bench or sent down to USL. Providing them minutes might be CPL best argument to win them over, otherwise - both leagues aren't going for the same guys.

Plenty of talents to uncover in this country who aren't getting the time of day by MLS. I actually like that CPL is turning its attention to them

8 hours ago, VinceA said:

Your comparing a new league that has one season under its belt to a 25 year old league, poor comparison.

Compare MLS year one salaries and add inflation, they started with very low salaries like CPL in order to be sustainable and build up over time. CPL will do the same and salaries for it in 25 years will be much different.

6 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

Your comparing a new league that has one season under its belt to a 25 year old league, poor comparison.

Compare MLS year one salaries and add inflation, they started with very low salaries like CPL in order to be sustainable and build up over time. CPL will do the same and salaries for it in 25 years will be much different.

My point is more for the people who clamor for fringe MLS and USL Canadians to come to the CPL and why that probably won't happen much.

I agree with your assessment.

28 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

Not very long ago, less than a decade, there were MLS players who were on below subsistence salaries, living in cities other than their own. Players who could not make ends meet on an MLS salary. I mean basic, pay the bills, eat, transport. 

I heard this from source.

As long as we solve the base salary question, as long as there is a minimum that is acceptable, then I am fine with things building from there.

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

My point is more for the people who clamor for fringe MLS and USL Canadians to come to the CPL and why that probably won't happen much.

I agree with your assessment.

I would add that it's cheaper to take a chance on the talent in Canada that MLS have not touch who might turn up to become gems than paying premium of MLS bencher/USL guy where you know exactly what's their max potential.

If a USL guy or MLS bencher ceiling is maybe one day making the starting XI in MLS or gettting sub minutes at a premium, I'll give a 1+1 contract to 2 or 3 guys with strong stats between age 17 to 19 instead who might develop into something better since they'll be paying way more minutes with adults while not having such a short leash preventing them to play to their full potential.

This is the reality of CPL 1.0 - go through the un-scouted, unknow int he pool, find the good one, create your local stars that you bought low but will sell high and surround them with increasingly better internationals to push them with the wage increase.

Once we have a PROPER Division 2 under the CPL, then the league might go more elite and pursue better Canadians at a premium with stronger internationals + the better youth players. The rest will have a proper D2 to play in and try to develop further. That will be CPL 2.0