CPL General

I also think this speaks to the overall business opportunity for CPL investors.  I have harped on ad nauseum about the chance for businesses to pin down long term deals at a bargain basement price because things are just getting started.  The whole philosophy of "buy low, sell high" requires you to have the testicular fortitude to actually buy low (and I know that isn't a perfect analogy but I think it is still instructive...).  And whether it is major league sponsors, broadcasters, or niche sponsors (like travel), the rights will never be cheaper than they are right now - assuming the league is a success.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I admit that I still haven't seen it, so am speaking from ignorance...BUT the announcement of a major league sponsor is a pretty big deal that warrants more than a quiet press release.  The idea of a major sponsor is that they give you support and in exchange you give them exposure for their brand.  Burying that sort of announcement in a press release would seem to run directly counter to that purpose.  Hype it up.  Get people excited.  Get people talking. 

The only possible downside of this sort of announcement is if the media gets so saturated with these sorts of announcements that a bit of boy-who-cried-wolf fatigue sets in - and I don't think this league is anywhere near that point. 

I'll get shit on but not really unless there is a great deal more to it. press conference are meant to be more in depth. doing things this way def risks boy who cried but also feela very much like a move meant to stroke the ego of the sponsor. having this paired with something larger like a schedule or even with more detail of the sponsorship would have been better.

this news is great but it's presentation is odd and at a time people are expecting a schedule (because the league teased it 2 weeks ago) somewhat cruel to fans. i don't think you can blame fans for disappointed about today's news.

Edited by matty

Some interesting news here from Rob Gale:

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/soccer/21-questions-with-valour-fc-head-coach-rob-gale

The league has a league-wide training camp and pre-season down in the Dominican Republic at the start of April. As soon as that’s done, we’ll be back for a couple of weeks and we’ll be right into the start of May and the season will be up and under way

4 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Some interesting news here from Rob Gale:

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/soccer/21-questions-with-valour-fc-head-coach-rob-gale

The league has a league-wide training camp and pre-season down in the Dominican Republic at the start of April. As soon as that’s done, we’ll be back for a couple of weeks and we’ll be right into the start of May and the season will be up and under way

Wow, impressive. Thing is, you could get 7 rosters and each staff, let's say 8-9 each, plus CPL folk, on a single plane. Toronto to Punta Cana, you have flights with Delta, Air Canada, Transat, United--I am thinking of a possible league airline sponsor amongst those.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canadian-premier-league-kick-off-april-27/

article about today and by that i mean about the fact the first game is on april 27. there's very little talk of volkswagon, aside from that it's a multi year deal, because it's not a big media story.

also more to come in the next two weeks https://www.theguardian.pe.ca/sports/canadian-premier-league-kickoff-set-for-april-27-in-hamilton-but-questions-remain-279882/

7 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I admit that I still haven't seen it, so am speaking from ignorance...BUT the announcement of a major league sponsor is a pretty big deal that warrants more than a quiet press release.  The idea of a major sponsor is that they give you support and in exchange you give them exposure for their brand.  Burying that sort of announcement in a press release would seem to run directly counter to that purpose.  Hype it up.  Get people excited.  Get people talking. 

The only possible downside of this sort of announcement is if the media gets so saturated with these sorts of announcements that a bit of boy-who-cried-wolf fatigue sets in - and I don't think this league is anywhere near that point. 

I think I'm the opposite of a CPL hater, I have a couple of season seats, but I'm very much feeling this. I expected to be disappointed by this today, I figured we'd get a streaming deal but not with the service I wanted or something like that... They hyped it up like it would be a really huge announcement for the fans ... and lets be honest, it was not, it was for VW.

I get why they needed to do it but I feel like it's getting to the point where they are really taking advantage of the hardcore here. We are the ones who get the message out... We create the hype, hell, I drove from my university to Halifax for the town hall meeting for the stadium. I understand they have a strategy and for the good of the league they need to strech these out and we need to be good little soldiers, but it'd be nice not to feel lied to.

It was the overwhelming feeling here we were going to get a schedule/broadcast news, they made it seem like that. We got 1 game and a corperate sponsor. We were told we'd have kits by new year, now they might not be until April. Even the player signing press conferences have been BS, the Haber conference was hyped up like it was going to be legit, we got like six minutes of pre written speeches and then they didn't take media questions on livestream.

It's at the point now where the great momentum from all the team announcements is basically dead to me. I like the player announcements and im excited for the league to start play, but im sick of head office and their leading on, tease marketing strategy. Overwhelming ? on CanSoc twitter today. I get its a huge announcement financially, but maybe advertise it as MAJOR SPONSORSHIP ANNOUNCEMENT because at this point I don't trust anything or any deadline an owner or CPL official gives us.

2 hours ago, BradMack said:

I think I'm the opposite of a CPL hater, I have a couple of season seats, but I'm very much feeling this. I expected to be disappointed by this today, I figured we'd get a streaming deal but not with the service I wanted or something like that... They hyped it up like it would be a really huge announcement for the fans ... and lets be honest, it was not, it was for VW.

I get why they needed to do it but I feel like it's getting to the point where they are really taking advantage of the hardcore here. We are the ones who get the message out... We create the hype, hell, I drove from my university to Halifax for the town hall meeting for the stadium. I understand they have a strategy and for the good of the league they need to strech these out and we need to be good little soldiers, but it'd be nice not to feel lied to.

It was the overwhelming feeling here we were going to get a schedule/broadcast news, they made it seem like that. We got 1 game and a corperate sponsor. We were told we'd have kits by new year, now they might not be until April. Even the player signing press conferences have been BS, the Haber conference was hyped up like it was going to be legit, we got like six minutes of pre written speeches and then they didn't take media questions on livestream.

It's at the point now where the great momentum from all the team announcements is basically dead to me. I like the player announcements and im excited for the league to start play, but im sick of head office and their leading on, tease marketing strategy. Overwhelming ? on CanSoc twitter today. I get its a huge announcement financially, but maybe advertise it as MAJOR SPONSORSHIP ANNOUNCEMENT because at this point I don't trust anything or any deadline an owner or CPL official gives us.

I am starting to feel the same level of frustration as you are. CPL seems to keep overpromising and under-delivering.

They mentioned up to 10-12 teams for season one at some point. We're at 7. They said kits were on the way... for April? They said schedule would come out in 7-10 days, and that is (I think) over 2 weeks ago now.

Making this into a "Major Announcement", something that will excite the fans, when it's... a sponsorship? Meh.

For the opening match, I hate to say it, but I think MLS has a nice formula where they announce the whole opening weekend ahead of the complete schedule. Was kinda hoping CPL would at least do the same.

As has been mentioned, as much as we want to criticize some of the blurry bits around today's major announcements, and the absence of some anticipated details regarding others, in the end it all boils down to one simple fact.

The world's largest automotive manufacturer has made a corporate decision to attach their brand to the CPL. 

Fu'k me. 

Yeah although I'd expected more, it's still a major step. And besides, if you sign a big player like Volkswagen, you have to pamper them a bit. That makes sense, even though the fans likely care less. 

About the opening match, that seems minor but it looks like they want to make this first game a splash. Hence the derby, hopefully in a packed stadium with lots a media attention. I actually like they way they went about this. The only downside is that it's still 3 months away. 

4 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Yeah although I'd expected more, it's still a major step. And besides, if you sign a big player like Volkswagen, you have to pamper them a bit. That makes sense, even though the fans likely care less. 

About the opening match, that seems minor but it looks like they want to make this first game a splash. Hence the derby, hopefully in a packed stadium with lots a media attention. I actually like they way they went about this. The only downside is that it's still 3 months away. 

Completely agree with this - I think it was a bit of balance.  They were pampering to their key sponsor, as they should and in doing so were obliged to build up the hype for the fans so that they would tune in.  Announcing the opening game was the treat for the fans, without overshadowing the sponsor announcement.  I think the schedule and broadcast info will come out together.  

My bet is that Hamilton is the team with VW on their shirt, just because Bob Young seems to be the "owner" of the league - it would make sense his (main) club is the team and other teams can collect on individual deals.  

5 hours ago, Keegan said:

bet is that Hamilton is the team with VW on their shirt, just because Bob Young seems to be the "owner" of the league - it would make sense his (main) club is the team and other teams can collect on individual deals.  

I was wondering if it was maybe kind of the opposite.  Hamilton shouldn't have too much of a problem getting Tim Hortons or something,  and same with a few other clubs, and maybe VW is for who ever struggles to get a good sponsor.

I'm caught in two minds about the announcement. VW is a big company, so the sponsorship feels like a big deal, but they didn't announce how much money it is, so it's hard to know if it actually is a big deal. We know it will be more than 0 dollars, but that's all we know. It's also probably safe to assume it's not deemed to be a "huge" amount or else the league would want to announce it. But what "huge" is, I don't know and it's probably foolish to speculate.

The first game announcement is nice, and I'm excited about it, but I live in Toronto, so York 9 is my team, and I might be able to make the trip to Hamilton to actually see the game live. No doubt the game announcement is a lot less exciting for fans of the other 5 teams, especially since if they aren't willing/able to travel to the game, we still don't know if or how they will be able to watch the game.

So both good announcements, but with caveats to each, in my opinion.

10 hours ago, Cheeta said:

As has been mentioned, as much as we want to criticize some of the blurry bits around today's major announcements, and the absence of some anticipated details regarding others, in the end it all boils down to one simple fact.

The world's largest automotive manufacturer has made a corporate decision to attach their brand to the CPL. 

Fu'k me. 

https://www.ceotodaymagazine.com/2018/02/why-do-audi-bmw-vw-sponsor-sports/

I mean they love to sponsor soccer so it makes sense.

Just curious did MLS have a big press conference-like announcement when they announced they're partnership with Audi (a VW brand)? 

I'm disappointed by the timing of the first match, as I'll probably only be able to watch the first 30 minutes of  it (assuming its available for broadcast/webcast) before heading down to BMO Field for the TFC game at 3pm. York 9 is supposed to be my local team in the CPL (although they haven't really connected themselves to Markham that I can see as yet, so I'm not sure that it really feels like my local team), but regardless of who it is that is playing, as someone who remembers watching what I believe was the first CSL game (or at least the first one on broadcast - IIRC Hamilton Steelers vs. Ottawa Pioneers), it would have been nice to properly repeat the trick, but not something I will do while driving down to a game I have season tickets to.

3 hours ago, Ivan said:

Agreed, very disappointing.  But I watched the inaugural Hamilton Steelers home game live, the first TFC home game live, and will probably sell my tickets to the TFC game to catch the first Forge FC game live. 

Yeah, I guess if I lived in Welland too I would be more tempted to do that. ;)

I just need to say how amazing it is to see the avalanche of player signing announcements, the release of the first game date, etc.  Heck, there is a CPL post game party now planned. 

I know there are things to nit-pick about - and that some are unhappy about the overhype of the VW announcement, etc.  But (and I know this is obvious to everyone here) this is such a great time to be a Canadian footy fan.  Shit is happening right now that people have dreamed of for years.  Hot damn.