CPL General

1 hour ago, garmc said:

Imagine being named Emilio Estevez, and only being the second best named player in the league. Dude's been cucked.

It's not his fault Roger Thompson has the most amazingly boring name possible but yes. This poor sad cuckold.

Sidebar: why didn't you used cuckolded? It's a way more funny sounding term than cucked.

Edited by matty

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

Wonder if the CPL teams will play friendlies against the Domincan teams. If the teams head down like April 1 they could likely get a friendly played before their league starts up.

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

The added benefits of Volkswagen sponsorships, many more are aware of the league.

It looks good but 299 likes on a 1m video is pretty bad also the Facebook comments on the post about this were all like "oh like love my vw beetle" or "gonna fake more emission tests?".

Edit: I'm actually looking for this Tweet now and not finding it. Also the CPL posted video with >10k views has more likes and retweets

Edited by matty

14 hours ago, matty said:

It looks good but 299 likes on a 1m video is pretty bad also the Facebook comments on the post about this were all like "oh like love my vw beetle" or "gonna fake more emission tests?".

Edit: I'm actually looking for this Tweet now and not finding it. Also the CPL posted video with >10k views has more likes and retweets

This is a paid promotion from VW, which is why it doesn't show up on their timeline. That will also explain the lower engagement. The CPL video was tweeted out to those who are most interested in the league, hence all the likes and retweets. This VW ad is going to a much wider audience, most of whom don't care and skim right past. But that small percentage that does take notice makes it all worth it.

I regularly purchase social media ads, and estimate that VW will have had to pay <$10,000 to get 1 million views on Twitter, which is peanuts for them.

1 hour ago, nas said:

This is a paid promotion from VW, which is why it doesn't show up on their timeline. That will also explain the lower engagement. The CPL video was tweeted out to those who are most interested in the league, hence all the likes and retweets. This VW ad is going to a much wider audience, most of whom don't care and skim right past. But that small percentage that does take notice makes it all worth it.

I regularly purchase social media ads, and estimate that VW will have had to pay <$10,000 to get 1 million views on Twitter, which is peanuts for them.

generally they will pop up, especially if a video, in the normal feed but yes that would explain why (was looking to see if the engagement had changed). that also explains some but not all of it. paid spots on twitter, fb and insta usually have higher ingagement than 300 at 1m views (like twitter has a rate of like 1% engagement iirc). i know cause like you i do similar social media ads for stuff.

pleased they're spending cash (agree with your estimate), just wish the video was a little more flashy (i think that's more on cpl than vw) to spur engagement 

Edited by matty

1 hour ago, KW519 said:

"You don’t buy a sports team to become rich. You buy one for passion, legacy and the idea that you’re building something, and that patience level is the key."

Great to hear from an owner!

ehhhh it's kind of stock but it is true.

kind of want to know how much of the league he's funding

29 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The winner of the Canadian Championship (Voyageurs Cup) gets the CL spot as the national champion. The CSA has described the Canadian Championship, which also includes the three MLS teams, the Ottawa Fury and the L1O and PLSQ champions as Canada's premier soccer competition.

So they wont get a new spot to CONCACAF league? 

Its crazy how well Canadians teams have done, to not warrant a second birth. Especially when I see a country like El Salvador has 1 automatic champions league birth +2 concacaf league births. 

50 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

So they wont get a new spot to CONCACAF league? 

Its crazy how well Canadians teams have done, to not warrant a second birth. Especially when I see a country like El Salvador has 1 automatic champions league birth +2 concacaf league births. 

Canadian teams from the VCup. it's possible if we get a second spot the spot could just go to that tournament and not the CPL. I do think we'll get one soon. We do to well and bring in so many fans.

42 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

No second spot. The Concacaf league is a way for Central America and the Caribbean to decide the 16th Champions League entrant. North America gets 9 out of 16, so the politics could be difficult.

The CONCACAF League isn't "exclusively" for those regions. Could be opened up but yea politics may be an issue

9 minutes ago, Cblake said:

If Canada were to get a second spot, either in CCL or the CONCACAF League I can only see it going to the runner up of the VCup. Can't see it being only for CPL teams. No way they can't involve the MLS teams. 

The time will come, sooner rather than later I hope, when the Canadian CCL places will be exclusively for CPL teams, and MLS franchises will be told to qualify via the league where they play: in the same way that Cardiff and Swansea must qualify for European club competitions via the English league, since this is where they play.

If CPL is successful, the footy landscape in Canada is going to change significantly.

4 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I can see it excluding the MLS teams.  In fact I would expect it.  

The only way I could see the TFC, Impact and  Whitecaps not involved in a second spot is if they decline. I can only see that happening if it were for Concacaf League and such would cause some major fixture congestion for them as it takes place during August thru October. 

14 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

The time will come, sooner rather than later I hope, when the Canadian CCL places will be exclusively for CPL teams, and MLS franchises will be told to qualify via the league where they play: in the same way that Cardiff and Swansea must qualify for European club competitions via the English league, since this is where they play.

If CPL is successful, the footy landscape in Canada is going to change significantly.

That would have nothing to do with the CSA, only the USSF can decide that. You can't compare the Welsh situation at all really. Cardiff, Swansea and the other clubs that having been playing in the English system for years, long before the Welsh Premier League was formed in 1992. 

Because the Welsh teams that play in England qualifying through the FA they no longer take part in the Welsh Cup. That decision was made by the Welsh FA.

In a nutshell the spots in the CCL and CL are held by the countries respective FA and not anyone league. Technically a USL team could qualify for the CCL by winning the US Open, something  that has only happened once in the MLS era. Rochester in 1999. 

Edited by Cblake

30 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Question..... Has it been confirmed that the  CPL champion will be awarded a Concacaf League spot? 

No, because it will not happen before the league has even kicked a ball for crying out loud. 

MAYBE after the teams are actually playing the next time CONCACAF looks at the tournament structure Canada will get an extra place and the CSA will allocate that to CanPL. 

4 hours ago, Cblake said:

That would have nothing to do with the CSA, only the USSF can decide that.

The role the CSA would play would be to tell the Canadian MLS franchises that they are only eligible for the Canadian CCL place via CPL. It would then be up to the MLS franchises to negotiate whether they can qualify some other way.

You can't compare the Welsh situation at all really. Cardiff, Swansea and the other clubs that having been playing in the English system for years, long before the Welsh Premier League was formed in 1992. 

TFC, Montreal and the other clubs that have been playing in the American system for years, long before the Canadian Premier League was formed in 2019.

Seems very comparable to me.

Because the Welsh teams that play in England qualifying through the FA they no longer take part in the Welsh Cup. That decision was made by the Welsh FA.

Yes, the Welsh teams playing in England cannot qualify via the Welsh FA. That is exactly analogous to my saying that the Canadian franchises playing in the US cannot qualify via the CSA.

In a nutshell the spots in the CCL and CL are held by the countries respective FA and not anyone league. Technically a USL team could qualify for the CCL by winning the US Open, something  that has only happened once in the MLS era. Rochester in 1999. 

Agreed. It is up to the CSA to make rules that benefit Canadians, not Americans. CPL do not have the power to decide allocation of CCL places.

Edited by dsqpr

If we want to use the CCL as a means for the most Canadian players to gain experience playing top-level football in hostile stadiums throughout the region, then putting barriers in the way of the best three Canadian clubs isn't the best option. Simply mandate that all Voyageurs' Cup matches be played with the same domestic player requirements that CanPL plays under. It'll force the MLS3 to give meaningful minutes to their Canadian players, giving them the opportunities to force their way in for league and CCL matches, as well.