CPL General

We've had clarity that there is a fixed roster size of some description with confusion only being over the number of players involved probably due to the U-Sports draft. There is also a salary cap, a quota for domestic players, an equivalent of SUM and single entity like behaviour on merchandising and broadcast deals. It's not an exact copy of MLS but they are emulating MLS in many ways because MLS has been more successful as a business model than any other attempt to have pro soccer in Canada and/or the USA.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

We've had clarity that there is a fixed roster size of some description with confusion only being over the number of players involved probably due to the U-Sports draft. There is also a salary cap, a quota for domestic players, an equivalent of SUM and single entity like behaviour on merchandising and broadcast deals. It's not an exact copy of MLS but they are emulating MLS in many ways because MLS has been more successful as a business model than any other attempt to have pro soccer in Canada and/or the USA.

People are still getting the definition of single entity wrong. Communal selling of broadcast deals and merchandising has nothing to do with the legal structure of the league and its clubs, which is what single entity defines. 

1 hour ago, masster said:

People are still getting the definition of single entity wrong. Communal selling of broadcast deals and merchandising has nothing to do with the legal structure of the league and its clubs, which is what single entity defines. 

Yeah, I don't see how he was referring to the legal structure of the league. There are ways to act as a single entity outside of actually being one.

BBTB's correct in this case.

30 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

No one ever used the term "single entity" in a professional sports context before MLS. It has very specific connotations.

And yet the term "single entity like behaviour" is still correct in this context.

9 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

All I mentioned was "single entity like behaviour". For example, most European league clubs do their own merchandising on replica shirts. CanPL dealt with Macron as a league.

Most European leagues also communally sell their broadcast rights, so how is that single entity behaviour?

North American leagues like the NHL and NFL centrally take care of merchandise deals too and they arent single entity.

So the behaviours you mention are not unique to single entity at all.

It serves no purpose to discuss the "single entity" idea here any longer.

They are doing some things collectively (ie. TV deal, kit suppliers) and they are doing some things as clubs (ie. signing players). How about we argue about the merits of what they are actually doing and stop a pedantic debate that serves no useful purpose?

Maybe after the inaugural season we can come back to critique how the league and clubs did when we actually have something worth talking about in regards to league and cub operations.

Think you are being argumentative just for the sake of it at this point. The point I was making originally is that CanPL may not be exactly the same as MLS, but it is emulating MLS in many ways, such as by having CSB on broadcasting which looks very like SUM except in not having anything lucrative to sell, so it shouldn't be surprising if a three year deal really means one plus two club held options. Time will tell.

The key to single entity is that it's the MLS way of getting around US anti trust laws, which prohibit collusion between independent parts. MLS effectively seeks to operate with monopoly control to gain market advantage, which is accepted in the US as the "best" way to grow the game.

In this regard you can't accuse MLS teams of colluding to veto a player or fix financial parameters,  since a single entity by definition can't collude. So the 1st article of the Sherman Antitrust Act can't be applied. In this regard teams are closer to branch outlets obliged to fulfil brand requirements, though with a sort of franchisee operational system, whereas what are called franchises in the rest of sports leagues are in fact more like licensed outlets. But this is harder than it all sounds.

In any case the real antidote to either model of monopolistic collusion is for the national FA to license the activity of soccer and then for everyone to be able to freely join in, usually from the bottom up, and compete in tiers made porous by promotion,  relegation and other inter-division competitions like Cups.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Is it just me or has the CPL already had a big boost for CMNT team players?  VWC have brought in Cornelius, Crepeau, Dasovic, MDV (and maybe Cordova), Impact got ZBG ( i wont mention TFC, cough americans cough cough).   Plus it seemed like all 3 tried to tie down some young academy talent before they jumped ship to CPL.  Do you think interest in the CPL with a high % of CDN content has lit a fire under the MLS teams to up their homegrown content a bit?? 

It would be great if the Van defenders (Crepeau/Henry/Cornelius/DeJong/Levis) can build some chemistry that carries over to the CMNT team.  

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

Is it just me or has the CPL already had a big boost for CMNT team players?  VWC have brought in Cornelius, Crepeau, Dasovic, MDV (and maybe Cordova), Impact got ZBG ( i wont mention TFC, cough americans cough cough).   Plus it seemed like all 3 tried to tie down some young academy talent before they jumped ship to CPL.  Do you think interest in the CPL with a high % of CDN content has lit a fire under the MLS teams to up their homegrown content a bit?

It would be great if the Van defenders (Crepeau/Henry/Cornelius/DeJong/Levis) can build some chemistry that carries over to the CMNT team.  

I don't think it has anything to do with CPL. ZBG was rumoured to join the Impact last year. Crépeau just moved from one MLS team  to another and MDS was just a good coach waiting for an opportunity to manage an MLS team. for the other MLS players signed by Vancouver, it seems that Canadian clubs did check out domestic players last year (Petrasso, Henry) and they are going back there. 

As for the Academy players, I can only talk about Montreal, but the two who have signed (Kinumbe and Bayiha) were supposed to be signed during the previous season, but couldn't because the Impact didn't have a roster spot for them. Does it have anything to do with CPL? I doubt it, I just think that they've been players rated high by the club as future players but who need playing time, so they might go play on loan somewhere else,. I don'T think it's more homegrowns the Impact have had on their roster since 2013. (Taking 2013, because that's the first year they had more than 1 homegrown)

As for CPL having a high quota, I doubt it does anything on MLS clubs. Maybe in hte V'S Cup if the quota is raised, but that's the only thing I could see.

And we shouldn't forget that it was always going to take time for all three MLS academies to get fully up to speed as the initial youngest age cohorts finally pass all the way through the system. For example, today's 21 and 22 year olds that you would expect to be breaking through to the first team were around 13 or 14 or so when the Impact and Whitecaps entered the league back in 2011. All the hysteria a few years ago about there not being enough Canadians always tended to steer clear of examining whether that said more about the quality of the domestic players coming through from elite youth soccer 5 to 10 years ago than it did about MLS signing policies.

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

And we shouldn't forget that it was always going to take time for all three MLS academies to get fully up to speed as the initial youngest age cohorts finally pass all the way through the system. For example, today's 21 and 22 year olds that you would expect to be breaking through to the first team were around 13 or 14 or so when the Impact and Whitecaps entered the league back in 2011. All the hysteria a few years ago about there not being enough Canadians always tended to steer clear of examining whether that said more about the quality of the domestic players coming through from elite youth soccer 5 to 10 years ago than it did about MLS signing policies.

Whitecaps Residency was around long before they went to MLS

18 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

Whitecaps Residency was around long before they went to MLS

The early years of the Whitecaps Residency did produce a number of players of sufficient quality that they could have been useful players for the MLS 'Caps. Unfortunately, the program was entrusted to a guy who had no regard for the actual club that employed him, choosing to funnel the program's graduates to Germany through his personal connections. I think the point where you should start judging the results from the 'Caps development programs is from the day when they binned off Neindorf.

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Softball questions for the most part. Should we read anything into somebody at Sportsnet having to ask what's happening on broadcasting?

No, often employees are kept out of the loop of big corporation decisions

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Also no indication in the Ottawa answer of an expectation of an enforced move in 2020.

That's between CONCACAF, CSA and Fury. As the league is concerned, all they can do is come up with scenarios for Ottawa and "waiting" clearly isn't an option