CPL General

15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I just need to say how amazing it is to see the avalanche of player signing announcements, the release of the first game date, etc.  Heck, there is a CPL post game party now planned. 

I know there are things to nit-pick about - and that some are unhappy about the overhype of the VW announcement, etc.  But (and I know this is obvious to everyone here) this is such a great time to be a Canadian footy fan.  Shit is happening right now that people have dreamed of for years.  Hot damn.

I can't wait to see all of these players we've heard of before but never really seen. Now they are all in the same place for direct comparison. Some will fall flat and some will surprise. It's like Christmas 30 weeks a year!

1 hour ago, Alex D said:

I can't wait to see all of these players we've heard of before but never really seen. Now they are all in the same place for direct comparison. Some will fall flat and some will surprise. It's like Christmas 30 weeks a year!

Unless you’re a Cavalry fan, cause this year will suck for them.

BBC coverage is good, although I'm disappointed not to see more discussion about CPL on some of the other soccer communities I visit (namely Reddit). I get it, in terms of global soccer CPL is small potatoes. That said, I think watching a league be built is exciting for any soccer fan, anywhere, if its done right. And I really do think CPL is being done right. 

Anyway, hopefully the BBC article results in some new folks digging into the league to see what its all about! International coverage is a damn good thing.

"...he [Clanachan] says the league is in talks with 18 other clubs, regions and towns about signing up new teams."

I know additional interest has been mentioned before, but that level of interest is pretty encouraging.  There is always the risk of trying to go too big too fast, but it seems like there is pretty solid capacity for the kind of expansion we are all hoping for.   Also interesting that he is still explicitly referencing the pro-rel model - which would be enabled by the kind of numbers he is talking about.

Edited by dyslexic nam

13 hours ago, Copes said:

BBC coverage is good, although I'm disappointed not to see more discussion about CPL on some of the other soccer communities I visit (namely Reddit). I get it, in terms of global soccer CPL is small potatoes. That said, I think watching a league be built is exciting for any soccer fan, anywhere, if its done right. And I really do think CPL is being done right. 

Anyway, hopefully the BBC article results in some new folks digging into the league to see what its all about! International coverage is a damn good thing.

There is a subreddit for CPL: https://www.reddit.com/r/canadianpl

It's pretty active and steadily growing. Has 2500 members right now.

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

There is a subreddit for CPL: https://www.reddit.com/r/canadianpl

It's pretty active and steadily growing. Has 2500 members right now.

Oh yeah, I actively post there. 

I meant /r/soccer. I noticed the BBC post had 5 comments. Given it is English news, and a new club is exciting, I thought there would have been a few more eyeballs. 

That said, I also know what kind of place /r/soccer is so maybe "new league forming" really isn't that exciting, haha.

8 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

"...he [Clanachan] says the league is in talks with 18 other clubs, regions and towns about signing up new teams."

I know additional interest has been mentioned before, but that level of interest is pretty encouraging.  There is always the risk of trying to go too big too fast, but it seems like there is pretty solid capacity for the kind of expansion we are all hoping for.   Also interesting that he is still explicitly referencing the pro-rel model - which would be enabled by the kind of numbers he is talking about.

I always worry when I hear these kinds of astronomical numbers, because it takes me back to the heyday of the NASL and Bill Peterson promising the sky yet delivering a Spanish second division side in Oklahoma City.

14 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don't think he is over promising anything.  He is just talking about the level of interest in other markets.  Personally, I think that is encouraging.  

He also repeatedly said "8 to 10 teams at launch" and they're at 7.

12 minutes ago, ted said:

Well, at the time Ottawa was thought to be onboard before they betrayed their fans and gave Canada the middle finger. ;)

Sure.  But by saying 10 he's also indicating that there was 2 other options, which didn't work out.  Saying "18" seems to set up more of what I'm coming to expect from this league: over promise and under deliver.

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Sure.  But by saying 10 he's also indicating that there was 2 other options, which didn't work out.  Saying "18" seems to set up more of what I'm coming to expect from this league: over promise and under deliver.

They were still possible but couldn't get everything together for year 1. He also didn't say all 18 of these other clubs are going to happen, he is illustrating that there is interest. I don't see that as disingenuous at all. 

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

It all depends on what constitutes an expression of interest. Is an email from some random fan from a gmail address to league HQ enough to make the list? Probably not, but for all we know it might not take much more than that. He also says that there are two clear front runners and that's the angle that is probably worth taking seriously. Montreal/Laval is obviously one of them, and presumably Saskatoon is the other but they've been very quiet for a long time now.

Just now, gator said:

Are you BBTB in disguise??

I agree with some things he says, I disagree with others.  I completely get why people are excited about the league, especially in communities that not that long ago seemed like they'd never get a pro team.  But that doesn't mean I can't be skeptical about aspects of it or have to buy in to everything just because the league tells me something.  Make of that what you will. ?

6 minutes ago, Alex D said:

They were still possible but couldn't get everything together for year 1. He also didn't say all 18 of these other clubs are going to happen, he is illustrating that there is interest. I don't see that as disingenuous at all. 

I think using the number 18 sets an extremely high expectation for how much expansion the league is set to do.  We know there's interest.  We don't know how many are serious/capable of actually delivering.  Much like his "8-10" comment and then only being able to only deliver 7 for the launch.

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

I think using the number 18 sets an extremely high expectation for how much expansion the league is set to do.  We know there's interest.  We don't know how many are serious/capable of actually delivering.  Much like his "8-10" comment and then only being able to only deliver 7 for the launch.

If Ottawa didn't pull the switcheroo and we had 8 would you still hold this opinion?

On 2/1/2019 at 2:04 PM, Copes said:

Oh yeah, I actively post there. 

I meant /r/soccer. I noticed the BBC post had 5 comments. Given it is English news, and a new club is exciting, I thought there would have been a few more eyeballs. 

That said, I also know what kind of place /r/soccer is so maybe "new league forming" really isn't that exciting, haha.

When the Wanderers signed Eton John, it had about 700 upvotes and was one of the top posts on /r/soccer.