CPL General

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's not a moral high ground. It's a natural order. It is respecting reasonable timing. It is not putting the cart before the horse. For example: can you tell me how they will determine the CPL winner? Do we have a definitive statement on playoffs? Right, we are going to lobby for a CPL winner to participate, but without even having announced HOW the winner will be determined

The 2nd CCL spot is awarded to the Association (CSA) who then determines how to allocate it. The understanding is that the 2nd CCL spot has been requested and the league wants its champion.

There's no doubt that Canada deserves it due to our strong performance thus far. The addition of 7 new pro club strengthens the argument while the league is expected to found 2-4 new clubs for 2020.

WHEN we get the 2nd spot, it should go to CPL Champion. That's what most are saying.

20 minutes ago, Ansem said:

The 2nd CCL spot is awarded to the Association (CSA) who then determines how to allocate it. The understanding is that the 2nd CCL spot has been requested and the league wants its champion.

There's no doubt that Canada deserves it due to our strong performance thus far. The addition of 7 new pro club strengthens the argument while the league is expected to found 2-4 new clubs for 2020.

WHEN we get the 2nd spot, it should go to CPL Champion. That's what most are saying.

So the CPL gets what the MLS clubs earned? If we get a second spot, don't be shocked if it goes to the CanChamp runner up (as it's the competition with 7 new teams) or at least expect the biggest, most annoying argument in Canadian soccer history.

Edited by matty

15 minutes ago, matty said:

So the CPL gets what the MLS clubs earned? If we get a second spot, don't be shocked if it goes to the CanChamp runner up (as it's the competition with 7 new teams) or at least expect the biggest, most annoying argument in Canadian soccer history.

I think that particular bar has already been set pretty high (low?).

1 hour ago, matty said:

I agree. But It would make the Canadian Championship final pretty boring. Both teams would use their backups, if an MLS team makes it, they will use their USL squads.

1 hour ago, matty said:

Aren't we trying to grow soccer in this country? How does awarding it to Canadian Championship (should be renamed Canadian Cup really) runner up above the CPL Champion achieves that?

Anyways, it's the CSA's call so don't be shock if it goes to the league champion... playing 28 games to win that privilege is totally justified. 

Makes no sense for the runner up of the "Canadian Cup" to earn it after playing what...2 or 3 rounds?

How's TFC winning 2 out 4 games warrants them a CCL berth (by to semi-finals) over a CPL champion having to win most of 28 games in a season??? Since the MLS season takes a toll on them, what's stopping them from sitting their A squad out to focus on making the playoffs since they secured their spot with only 2 wins or winning the Semifinals on aggregate? Great way to completely devalue CPL champions...that will help grow the sport...

That's even more ridiculous and a farce than CPL champion being thrown on the big stage.

Edited by Ansem

1 hour ago, matty said:

I agree with the logic but I think they would want the prestige to be related to the CPL. I thinks it would also be another barb to aim to canadian teams outside of the CPL "if you want it you have to be part of your national league."

I'd be shocked firstly if we get another ccl spot, at least for the next year or two until the league looks sustainable. Then I'd be shocked again if it wasnt allocated by the CSA to its primary national league. 

Also wasnt their talk, maybe just on here, that if we got a 2nd CCL spot it would be a playoff spot vs a Caribbean team or something? 

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Aren't we trying to grow soccer in this country? How does awarding it to Canadian Championship (should be renamed Canadian Cup really) runner up above the CPL Champion achieves that?

The growth isn't tied to a CCL spot and that spot is about the best representation of soccer in the nation.

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Anyways, it's the CSA's call so don't be shock if it goes to the league champion... playing 28 games to win that privilege is totally justified. 

I wouldn't be shocked either way but I expect a lot of bitching and maybe some legal stuff. Also playing 28 games might not mean shit man.

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Makes no sense for the runner up of the "Canadian Cup" to earn it after playing what...2 or 3 rounds? (Which CPL teams will also play).

Sure it does. It's the "strongest level of play in the country"

8 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I agree with the logic but I think they would want the prestige to be related to the CPL. I thinks it would also be another barb to aim to canadian teams outside of the CPL "if you want it you have to be part of your national league."

I'd be shocked firstly if we get another ccl spot, at least for the next year or two until the league looks sustainable. Then I'd be shocked again if it wasnt allocated by the CSA to its primary national league. 

Also wasnt their talk, maybe just on here, that if we got a 2nd CCL spot it would be a playoff spot vs a Caribbean team or something? 

CPL doesn't decide it and nor should it be awarded for marketing. It should be something to be earned, otherwise you know, the competition looks cheap. The CPL might get a spot but I don't see it happening that soon unless the CPL is better than the USL from the start.

I've seen your last point made here and no where else really but the who you play doesn't matter.

Edited by matty

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

How's TFC winning 2 out 4 games warrants them a CCL berth (by to semi-finals) over a CPL champion having to win most of 28 games in a season??? Since the MLS season takes a toll on them, what's stopping them from sitting their A squad out to focus on making the playoffs since they secured their spot with only 2 wins or winning the Semifinals on aggregate? Great way to completely devalue CPL champions...that will help grow the sport...

That's even more ridiculous and a farce than CPL champion being thrown on the big stage.

Just saw your edit

If a TFC b-team beats a CPL a-team outright or wins on aggregate, then yea the CPL totally seems worthy of the spot lol

Edited by matty

6 minutes ago, matty said:

Just saw your edit

If a TFC b-team beats a CPL a-team outright or wins on aggregate, then yea the CPL totally seems worthy of the spot lol

He was talking about the final of the Voyageurs Cup in the event that both winners and runner up get a berth into CCL. The implication was that TFC would think it is not worth winning and the already secured CCL place was the important thing. It had nothing to do with TFC-b vs. CPL-team.

13 minutes ago, matty said:

Just saw your edit

@dsqpr clarified what I was trying to say. 

If the finals are 2 MLS teams, they could be well tempted to field their B team, heck even a CPL vs MLS final could see both squad resting their best players for their respective leagues.

That's why giving the berth to the runner up is a terrible idea and a sure way to devalue the V Cup. 

It's the CSA, wouldn't put it past them to not thinking about this

Edited by Ansem

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

You didnt understood my post. I'll leave it at that

5 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

He was talking about the final of the Voyageurs Cup in the event that both winners and runner up get a berth into CCL. The implication was that TFC would think it is not worth winning and the already secured CCL place was the important thing. It had nothing to do with TFC-b vs. CPL-team.

No i did and I don't really care. I just like the idea of people freaking out if TFC B beating a CPL team and CPL getting a spot

28 minutes ago, Ansem said:

@dsqpr clarified what I was trying to say. 

If the finals are 2 MLS teams, they could be well tempted to field their B team, heck even a CPL vs MLS final could see both squad resting their best players for their respective leagues.

That's why giving the berth to the runner up is a terrible idea and a sure way to devalue the V Cup. 

It's the CSA, wouldn't put it past them to not thinking about this

I got this but it's kind of a "what if" point rather than one based on any of the real facts which are the VCup is what's earned the spot thanks to the MLS teams but the CPL would benefit more thanks to a CCL or CL spot. Both are strong arguments for what should get a second spot if we get one

Edited by matty

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

MLS teams are favorites, I doubt people would freak out at that result. The point is to not get there to begin with by not having runner ups being giving a berth. Forces everyone to put their A Squad

what if the runner-up got a spot in CL rather than CCL which would NOT be fun if you're in a playoff push or championship run?

2nd and 3rd place of Caribbean Cup get spots in Concacaf League. Tournament happens in the next couple months. Teams from top 4 Caribbean leagues compete. Haiti, DR, T&T, Jamaica. Teams from DR have won past 2 tournaments. 

Checking the schedule wait what????? less teams this year. DR teams didnt file paperwork in time? Huh? Justification for only 2nd place team making Concacaf League? Maybeski? 16th and now open spot in Nation League goes to? Winner of CPL spring season?

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Well, in 2017 TFC won both the MLS Cup and Supporters Shield. Did that get them one of the MLS spots? Nope, because they're not American. Had they lost the Canadian Championship that year, they never would have had that 2018 run through the CCL and it would look really stupid on the league. I'm fine with only the winner of the Voyageurs Cup getting a CCL spot and the rest having to be earned through the CPL as it will force the MLS teams to play their top starting XIs if they want to compete internationally. I'm fine with them getting 1 of three spots, but 2 of three would lessen the urgency of the competition. The rest of the spots (if any) should go to the CPL clubs as the whole point of the exercise is to develop our young players and there is nothing quite as intense as international competition.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46988859

This is a BBC article about CPL.  In it, they mention two things (Sorry friends, I'm not prepared to comb through 363 pages of this thread...), both in the same paragraph:

"The CPL will have a traditional league structure - with teams playing each other home and away over a season that runs from late April to October. Unusually for North American sport, there will be no play-offs."

Surely they will play each other 4 times for at least a 24 game schedule, no?  And the bit about the playoffs is good news to me, and settles the poll at the start of this thread perhaps.

1 hour ago, RJB said:

This is a BBC article about CPL.  In it, they mention two things (Sorry friends, I'm not prepared to comb through 363 pages of this thread...), both in the same paragraph:

"The CPL will have a traditional league structure - with teams playing each other home and away over a season that runs from late April to October. Unusually for North American sport, there will be no play-offs."

Surely they will play each other 4 times for at least a 24 game schedule, no?  And the bit about the playoffs is good news to me, and settles the poll at the start of this thread perhaps.

i don't trust anything about the format till i see it. we've heard no playoffs then non tradional playoffs and a weird schedule format

cpl just unleash this shit

47 minutes ago, RJB said:

The league confirmed that the schedule will be 28 games, and have said that the format they're using is new for NA, but has been done elsewhere.

I think they were originally planning on doing a simple quad round-robin with eight clubs, but since Ottawa backed out last minute they've had to come up with something else to play enough matches. 24 obviously isn't ideal for a league that's looking to have around a 30-match schedule long-term.

8 hours ago, matty said:

Earned?!?! WTF are you talking about?

As someone else mentioned, you do realize it is national associations that decide who gets the spots right? There is ZERO chance that the CSA adds a runner up in he VCup before a CanPL Champion.