CPL General

Maybe not major to soccer fans but potentially the biggest news to the head office. Not sure the dets but VW might have just paid all those airline and travel bills that everyone assumed would crush the league.

It says one shirt sponsor and i would imagine you wont watch a CPL game without seeing vw everywhere and everytime you see the CPL logo you will see vw next to it

If VW is on board you have to think Tim Hortons isnt far behind

Edited by SpursFlu

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Maybe not major to soccer fans but potentially the biggest news to the head office. Not sure the dets but VW might have just paid all those airline and travel bills that everyone assumed would crush the league.

It says one shirt sponsor and i would imagine you wont watch a CPL game without seeing vw everywhere and everytime you see the CPL logo you will see vw next to it

I'm not sure if the sponsorship is at that level though. For instance the VW logo is not on the inaugural match graphic. 

My wild guess pure speculation predictions on the “big” sponsorships.  

Kit manufacturer:  Macron

Car company:  Volkswagen 

Food company:  Tim Hortons

Bank:  Bank of Nova Scotia

Telecom:  Shaw/ Freedom Mobile

Travel:  Westjet

TV/ Streaming:  DAZN

I bet I get at least 3 /7.  Really going out on a limb here.

* edit* I forgot DAZN

Edited by baulderdash77

14 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Bit of a letdown, if that's all they are doing on the U-21 angle. Think they could have been a bit more aggressive on the number of minutes if it is a combined total.

I agree.. 1000 combined will come naturally, it’s redundant.

21 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

My wild guess pure speculation predictions on the “big” sponsorships.  

Kit manufacturer:  Macron

Car company:  Volkswagen 

Food company:  Tim Hortons

Bank:  Bank of Nova Scotia

Telecom:  Shaw/ Freedom Mobile

Travel:  Westjet

TV/ Streaming:  DAZN

I bet I get at least 3 /7.  Really going out on a limb here.

* edit* I forgot DAZN

Well two have already been announced so you only need 1 more to hit your 3/7 lol

35 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Exactly. This announcement wasnt as sexy as a kit unveil or schedule announcement, but it is a lot more important to the survival of the league.

Agree with the comment that the presentation could have been a bit more professional.

35 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

So I'm curious. What does "founding partner" mean? Are they the only sponsor that can be considered "founding"?

I haven't seen "Volkswagen's Canadian Premier League" said or written anywhere with this announcement so I'm guessing it's not at that degree of a sponsorship...

I'm pretty sure they're just referring to the initial, major sponsors for the league. The press release describes Volkswagen as "a founding partner with exclusive automotive sponsor rights", which leads me to believe that they're providing a lot of money but not the exclusive sponsor for the league writ-large. Airline sponsors and others could all leave opportunities for more money to come in (if I recall correctly, the Fury even had Pinty's as their "official chicken wing").

Not what most of us had hoped for, but 1) still a huge partnership, and 2) definitely a further step in the right direction.

11 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

I'm pretty sure they're just referring to the initial, major sponsors for the league. The press release describes Volkswagen as "a founding partner with exclusive automotive sponsor rights", which leads me to believe that they're providing a lot of money but not the exclusive sponsor for the league writ-large. Airline sponsors and others could all leave opportunities for more money to come in (if I recall correctly, the Fury even had Pinty's as their "official chicken wing").

Not what most of us had hoped for, but 1) still a huge partnership, and 2) definitely a further step in the right direction.

How is that going to work with York 9? A large part of their marketing seems to be plastering their logo and various domestic brand cars...

1 minute ago, mpg_29 said:

How is that going to work with York 9? A large part of their marketing seems to be plastering their logo and various domestic brand cars...

I was actually wondering about that myself. I knew that York was doing this, and I seem to recall the Wanderers doing the same thing with Subaru. Maybe those initial arrangements with local dealerships will need to be renegotiated/nixed?

2 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

I was actually wondering about that myself. I knew that York was doing this, and I seem to recall the Wanderers doing the same thing with Subaru. Maybe those initial arrangements with local dealerships will need to be renegotiated/nixed?

If "exclusive automotive sponsor" means anything....then I would imagine so. 

Edited by mpg_29

1 hour ago, theaub said:

Quite a waste

A York/Hamilton match at 1 PM on a Saturday where TFC plays at 3 is a bit interesting in terms of drawing from the same crowd (although a TV doubleheader would probably be a good thing for the league if it inevitably gets there)

Actually, they dodged the Blue Jays playing at 3pm at the Rogers Centre. That's a smarter move as the Jays are watched Nationally. Best to occupy a time-slot for maximum national coverage, which outnumbers TFC fans quite significantly

Edited by Ansem

10 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Actually, they dodged the Blue Jays playing at 3pm at the Rogers Centre. That's a smarter move as the Jays are watched Nationally. Best to occupy a time-slot for maximum national coverage, which outnumbers TFC fans quite significantly

TFC and the Jays are both playing home at 3pm? hmmm that's a busy sports day to have an Ontario inaugural match imo...

Edited by mpg_29

24 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

If "exclusive automotive sponsor" means anything....then I would imagine so. 

Depends.  A lot of competing auto brands have dealerships which are owned by the same person/persons.

If "Gauthier Auto Group" wants the marquee on the front of Valour's shirts think that's a little different than the Cadillac shield.  Sure there will have to be some sensitivity towards VW in the marketing aspect but don't see a huge conflict.

5 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Why are people upset about this announcement? This is major for the league. The league needs big sponsors like this to survive. For comparison the Toronto Wolfpack don't exist without Air Transat paying for accommodations and travel costs for visiting teams.

cause this was overhyped greatly and could have been handled in a press release like the wolfpack did. it also leaves fans hanging with regard to when games will be and how to watch

Edited by matty

I admit that I still haven't seen it, so am speaking from ignorance...BUT the announcement of a major league sponsor is a pretty big deal that warrants more than a quiet press release.  The idea of a major sponsor is that they give you support and in exchange you give them exposure for their brand.  Burying that sort of announcement in a press release would seem to run directly counter to that purpose.  Hype it up.  Get people excited.  Get people talking. 

The only possible downside of this sort of announcement is if the media gets so saturated with these sorts of announcements that a bit of boy-who-cried-wolf fatigue sets in - and I don't think this league is anywhere near that point. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

Well pairing it with opening day game announcement makes it a little bit more special.  Although they are dragging this stuff out.  But I am pumped, hopefully a airline,  beer company etc will be coming soon.  

There are so many iconic Canadiana businesses that could get in on this:  Air Canada (or WestJet), CIBC (Or BMO/TD/RBC - one of the major financial competitors), Tim Hortons (even though they are no longer Canadian owned), HBC (see Tim Hortons) etc.  Hopefully this opens the floodgates.

The league gained massively in terms of credibility. That's my take away from this short press conference. Volkswagen wouldn't put their name in this if they didn't believe that the league could succeed...meaning the league had to demonstrate at large all of their business model to VW. Their seal of approval is unbelievably massive.

Downplaying that is borderline bad faith

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

The league gained massively in terms of credibility. That's my take away from this short press conference. Volkswagen wouldn't put their name in this if they didn't believe that the league could succeed...meaning the league had to demonstrate at large all of their business model to VW. Their seal of approval is unbelievably massive.

Downplaying that is borderline bad faith

It’s definitely a serious sponsor. At the very least it means that this league will likely be a polished product; I doubt Volkswagen would want to embarrass themselves by being linked (via a multi year deal no less) to an amateur hour style production.