CPL General

Quite a waste

A York/Hamilton match at 1 PM on a Saturday where TFC plays at 3 is a bit interesting in terms of drawing from the same crowd (although a TV doubleheader would probably be a good thing for the league if it inevitably gets there)

Saw this little tidbit when reading the article on the site:

https://canpl.ca/article/more-than-a-game-cpl-volkswagen-fuelling-soccer-passion-with-historic-partnership

The league’s unique rules and regulations are designed to develop homegrown talent. Rosters are predominantly Canadian and clubs are required to insert at least six Canadians into their starting lineups. Three spots on each CPL roster are reserved for players 21 years of age or younger. Similar to comparable league’s around the world, CPL clubs are mandated to feature under-21 players for at least 1,000 combined minutes.

So unless its a typo, it seems the U21 rule is not as over the top as previously announced. 1,000 combined minutes sounds much more reasonable

Just now, deschamp86 said:

Saw this little tidbit when reading the article on the site:

https://canpl.ca/article/more-than-a-game-cpl-volkswagen-fuelling-soccer-passion-with-historic-partnership

The league’s unique rules and regulations are designed to develop homegrown talent. Rosters are predominantly Canadian and clubs are required to insert at least six Canadians into their starting lineups. Three spots on each CPL roster are reserved for players 21 years of age or younger. Similar to comparable league’s around the world, CPL clubs are mandated to feature under-21 players for at least 1,000 combined minutes.

So unless its a typo, it seems the U21 rule is not as over the top as previously announced. 1,000 combined minutes sounds much more reasonable

sportsnet fake news

So I'm curious. What does "founding partner" mean? Are they the only sponsor that can be considered "founding"?

I haven't seen "Volkswagen's Canadian Premier League" said or written anywhere with this announcement so I'm guessing it's not at that degree of a sponsorship...

Edited by mpg_29