Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

1 minute ago, gator said:

Do MLS clubs put the clause in that the player can't play vs the club that owns him? I am not sure what Nashville's plans for him are but it may be too soon for him anyway!

It happens sometimes but not all the time. Nashville's actually playing in Portland tomorrow so he could suit up even sooner.

14 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Atleast TFC is doing right by him and actually getting something for him while giving him a chance to play.

I would imagine Nashville both plays him and keeps him, they haven’t been wrong often.

He was surpassed by Jayden Nelson as a LW in the first half of the season and is now behind Nelson and Lorenzo Insigne in the pecking order.

Unfortunately he wasn't able to beat out Luca Petrasso as a LB/LWB, and now Domenico Criscito has taken over at that position. It happens.

I hope he crushes it with Nashville, who seem to play more direct than TFC (which would obviously suit his game).

1 hour ago, RS said:

He was surpassed by Jayden Nelson as a LW in the first half of the season and is now behind Nelson and Lorenzo Insigne in the pecking order.

Unfortunately he wasn't able to beat out Luca Petrasso as a LB/LWB, and now Domenico Criscito has taken over at that position. It happens.

I hope he crushes it with Nashville, who seem to play more direct than TFC (which would obviously suit his game).

Well, he’s not a LB, and Nelson has always been ahead of him in everything except for speed to be honest, maybe IQ but it’s not like Nelson was coached properly or given much of a chance. BB really has helped him. As for Shaf, clock was ticking for a while.

4 hours ago, RS said:

During the Whitecaps game, attacking fulcrum Muhktar really liked to drift left so he could cut in and use his right foot to best effect.  Shaffelburg going wide might give the German more leeway to do what he does best.  I'm guessing that he provides a swingman for LB Lovitz and LW/LM Leal.

I like this move for Jacob. Somehow he strikes me as being a Nashville type of player, I don't know why. I think of them as being a hard working group who are up for the fight, and Shaffelburg is very athletic and doesn't shy away from contact. I can see the fit, hopefully it's just not my imagination wishing the best for the player. It would be great if he can be a regular contributor to them off the bench and earn a permanent move away.

They're in the playoff places as well, which is more than you can say about TFC right now, so maybe he gets an extra game or two that he wouldn't otherwise in Toronto, and if he does well who knows what that could mean for his WC chances. I think he's on the outside looking in, but look at the breakout Buchanan had in the playoffs! Not predicting that for Shaffelburg, but just saying....

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

I like this move for Jacob. Somehow he strikes me as being a Nashville type of player, I don't know why. I think of them as being a hard working group who are up for the fight, and Shaffelburg is very athletic and doesn't shy away from contact. I can see the fit, hopefully it's just not my imagination wishing the best for the player. It would be great if he can be a regular contributor to them off the bench and earn a permanent move away.

They're in the playoff places as well, which is more than you can say about TFC right now, so maybe he gets an extra game or two that he wouldn't otherwise in Toronto, and if he does well who knows what that could mean for his WC chances. I think he's on the outside looking in, but look at the breakout Buchanan had in the playoffs! Not predicting that for Shaffelburg, but just saying....

Funny, that's how I feel about Nashville too, although I know next to nothing about them. Then I realised I am just extrapolating all of Johnston's qualities and applying them to the team. 

• 3 weeks later...

Subbed off at half (not unexpected as it was his first game in some time).
Also had a blistering half pitch run and got fouled on edge of the box that lead to free kick 3rd goal.  Made so many clever attacking runs and distributed the ball well.  Clueless as to why TFC never used this guy at left wing early in the season.  Glad he’s on a quality team that’s headed for the playoffs and hopefully will continue to get starts.

On 8/22/2022 at 3:41 PM, narduch said:

Pretty funny watching TFC not make their full complement of subs the last few matches yet they could have had this guy available 

5 Canadian starters vs Charlotte and 2 Canadian subs entering the game despite Osorio and Kaye not being available with Russell-Rowe, Shaffelberg and Priso continuing their careers elsewhere in MLS with American teams because other young emerging Canadian players are rated more highly by TFC. There comes a point when it is obvious that the default setting is criticize TFC regardless.

19 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

5 Canadian starters vs Charlotte and 2 Canadian subs entering the game despite Osorio and Kaye not being available with Russell-Rowe, Shaffelberg and Priso continuing their careers elsewhere in MLS with American teams because other young emerging Canadian players are rated more highly by TFC. There comes a point when it is obvious that the default setting is criticize TFC regardless.

And some proples default setting is defend them at all costs.

Your response doesn't even have anything to do with my week old comment.

Edited by narduch