Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

34 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Many fullbacks have been converted wingers.  Some get streetwise enough (Stalteri developed into an excellent team defender as a fullback/wingback), whereas some couldn't (Ryan Telfer).  Time will tell.

You're missing the most obvious one: Alphonso Davies

I think it’s funny that people say he can’t play full back after one game.  How do you know his defensive game won’t improve?  If Shaff can adjust, he’s a perfect LB/LWB for the modern game, playing a Davies-esque roll.  Having slow-ass Bradley out there in defensive mid doesn’t help though… at least Davies has Kimmich to cover him off.  
It was laughable that he got a yellow card when that punk Arriola shoulder charged him and bounced right off of him.  Not surprised (with that or the non-penalty call) as that ref last night (Jair Marrufo) is always anti-TFC/Canada.  

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I just find it odd how many of our guys are tried as outside backs.  It seems crazy when you think about the percentage of guys we have in those positions (or who have spent a lot of time there).  

It might be fallout from the still prevalent Canadian youth soccer strategy of long ball and run after it?  Most of our prospects have amazing speed but maybe not the technical ability to beat a man one-on-one or make a killer pass in the attacking 3rd.

I thought it was a solid debut at LB. He has the tools he needs to develop into role. He probably saved a goal with his recovery speed when he caught up to Ferreira on that partial breakaway and he delivered the cross for the TFC goal. If it wasn’t for Shaffelburg, TFC might have lost the game 2-0.
During his time at TFC he’s shown the ability to learn and grow at a fairly fast rate. Early last year his crossing ability was mediocre at best. By the end of the season he had improved significantly. If he makes anywhere near that level or progress on the defensive side of his game he could become a very solid LB.

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Since we're listing left-backs who used to play for Canada for no apparent reason, we also had Bruce Wilson and Mike Sweeney in that position. Wouldn't want to leave them out.

Definitely!

One guy I thought for sure we be used at LB in Europe was Josh Simpson, but he was able to forge a good but too short career at LW and LM.  He played the 2005 Gold Cup at LB.

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, Lurker said:

That was a great run by Jacob on that TFC goal… perhaps highly motivated by the goal he cost the team with a give away a few minutes earlier. 😃

Unfortunately he continues to be Jekyll and Hyde.  Can be incredibly good going forward but defensively still struggling.  Obviously poor giveaway on the first goal.  Also very slow to react on the 2nd goal.  MacNaughton did not help missing that cross by 2 feet.

Typical Caldwell baloney.  If you lose the ball at damn near the halfway line with 6-7 team mates behind you...do you really have to wear the horns for the goal??  When the ball comes to the top of the box there are 5-6 TFC defenders there.  Bradley gives him the old OLE defense and Salcedo does his best to make it look like he is trying to block it, but hes really leaning out of the way.    The second goal sure, he puts no pressure on the cross, but you dont expect the cross to go directly to the chest of an unmarked team RSL MVP for an easy goal.  Same as last year...looks like not enough communication, or organization at all back there.  

Just now, Bison44 said:

Typical Caldwell baloney.  If you lose the ball at damn near the halfway line with 6-7 team mates behind you...do you really have to wear the horns for the goal??  When the ball comes to the top of the box there are 5-6 TFC defenders there.  Bradley gives him the old OLE defense and Salcedo does his best to make it look like he is trying to block it, but hes really leaning out of the way.    The second goal sure, he puts no pressure on the cross, but you dont expect the cross to go directly to the chest of an unmarked team RSL MVP for an easy goal.  Same as last year...looks like not enough communication, or organization at all back there.  

Both goals have several defensive mistakes.  Unfortunately Shaffelburg was involved with both of those goals against.  Bradley needs as much responsibility has Shaf on the first and MacNaughton as much as Shaf on the 2nd.  Even with MacNaughton’s terrible header attempt, someone else was missing a man behind him as well.

3 hours ago, Corazon said:

Unfortunately he continues to be Jekyll and Hyde.  Can be incredibly good going forward but defensively still struggling.  Obviously poor giveaway on the first goal.  Also very slow to react on the 2nd goal.  MacNaughton did not help missing that cross by 2 feet.

That’s why I thought the LB experiment was crazy. He seems like such a better winger than a defender - even if given the license to roam forward.  

My take is that he isn't really a good enough passer or with the ball at his feet in traffic to be a top winger in the MLS even though he has speed and can cross (ie. he's not crafty enough) but if he can learn the defensive side of things, he could be a top level wingback.  But that is a big if and the experiment may at some point be cancelled if he cant get up to speed on the defensive side of things.  I think this is a case of Bradley looking at how the fullback position has been transformed (hello Davies and Alexander Arnold) and seeing if Shaff can develop into a poor man's version of that. 

7 hours ago, An Observer said:

My take is that he isn't really a good enough passer or with the ball at his feet in traffic to be a top winger in the MLS even though he has speed and can cross (ie. he's not crafty enough) but if he can learn the defensive side of things, he could be a top level wingback.  But that is a big if and the experiment may at some point be cancelled if he cant get up to speed on the defensive side of things.  I think this is a case of Bradley looking at how the fullback position has been transformed (hello Davies and Alexander Arnold) and seeing if Shaff can develop into a poor man's version of that. 

That's my take, as well.  The nature in which he lost possession on that first goal was more telling for me than anything else involved with that sequence.  As you say, there is that technical skill craft that isn't quite there.  Also, he's not a guy you are going to be playing on the right as an inverted winger.

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

That's my take, as well.  The nature in which he lost possession on that first goal was more telling for me than anything else involved with that sequence.  As you say, there is that technical skill craft that isn't quite there.  Also, he's not a guy you are going to be playing on the right as an inverted winger.

I think I was more bothered by the 2nd goal against TFC.  If Okello closed down a cross that lackadaisical, we'd be having a field day with his lack of effort.  I don't see the fullback experiment being long term.  First, he's not good enough defensively in my opinion and secondly, he's one of the most exciting and dangerous wingers in the attacking half.  

12 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I think I was more bothered by the 2nd goal against TFC.  If Okello closed down a cross that lackadaisical, we'd be having a field day with his lack of effort.  I don't see the fullback experiment being long term.  First, he's not good enough defensively in my opinion and secondly, he's one of the most exciting and dangerous wingers in the attacking half.  

The problem is if the "fullback experiment" doesn't work, he's likely to be riding the pine come July.  I doubt he will displace Insigne.

I for one hope Bradley keeps trying it.  Going into RSL and coming out with more than a point is not an easy task.  He was instrumental in the first goal and TFC came out with a draw, so I have a hard time believing that he cost TFC points yesterday.  The more reps he gets, the better all-around player he'll be.

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

The problem is if the "fullback experiment" doesn't work, he's likely to be riding the pine come July.  I doubt he will displace Insigne.

I for one hope Bradley keeps trying it.  Going into RSL and coming out with more than a point is not an easy task.  He was instrumental in the first goal and TFC came out with a draw, so I have a hard time believing that he cost TFC points yesterday.  The more reps he gets, the better all-around player he'll be.

You're right.  For the sake of his playing time, I hope they stick it out.  It was an absolutely incredible run and assist on the Thompson goal but he was front row and centre on both goals against.  Although two or three other players need to be accountable for those goals as well.

I also fear Nelson's minutes will become limited with the introduction of Insigne.  On top of that, I hope to see more of Peruzza in the coming weeks as his time could be limited further once Akinola returns.

I know I was surprised when Petrasso was ahead of him as a winger. Now it makes sense with Petrasso's quality on the ball and how he works in tight spaces. He also takes corners on the one side. 

When Insigne shows up, will Petrasso move back to LB/LWB which I thought was his more natural position? Shaff may indeed be riding the pine because I don't see how you sit Petrasso. 

Love Shaff's hustle and he has a great left foot. Just a little one dimension right now. 

Well a few pages back people were saying he cant get a decent cross in.  Thats improving...I think we are seeing his game get better, he is getting a bit more tricky and the speed and hustle on offensive has always been there.  Turning him into a wingback/fb with a lot of defensive responsibilities kills the parts of his game that are really good.  I can imagine practices where is his working on defense instead of becoming an inverted winger, or his ROBBEN style cuts into the middle.  Just seems like ramming a round peg into a square hole.  

1 hour ago, canuckgbp said:

I know I was surprised when Petrasso was ahead of him as a winger. Now it makes sense with Petrasso's quality on the ball and how he works in tight spaces. He also takes corners on the one side. 

When Insigne shows up, will Petrasso move back to LB/LWB which I thought was his more natural position? Shaff may indeed be riding the pine because I don't see how you sit Petrasso. 

Love Shaff's hustle and he has a great left foot. Just a little one dimension right now. 

All things being equal, I have a feeling that Shaffleburg may continue in the LWB position instead of Petrasso.  I feel like he has the speed for that position in this formation, while Petrasso may not.  We'll see.

It almost seems like March thru June is an audition for a lot of players to see who gets to continue when reinforcements come in July.  Weren't TFC close to bringing in Criscito as well?  Second-half of the season TFC will look very different from first-half of the season.