Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

22 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Hopefully that is within MLS and from a club that intends to use him. Scandanavia may be a good destination as well. As sweet as a HFX reunion would be, it would be an unecessary step backwards at this point in his career.

For Tabla, CPL was a necessary step backwards, because his prospects for a pro career were fading precipitously. He needed to drop a level to restore his confidence and stop his rapid decline. Schaffleburg is not in such a position. He's being used sparingly, but he's been doing alright with the chances he gets. He stock is not falling, but it is beginning to stagnate so a lateral move may prove helpful.

4 minutes ago, RS said:

He's been surpassed at LW by Nelson, who has shown to be a more complete player at a younger age.

Not sure about that. Shaffelburg has been pretty terrible as a fullback this year but as a winger last season he was much, much more effective than Nelson has been this season. I don’t even think it’s close.

Just now, Floortom said:

Not sure about that. Shaffelburg has been pretty terrible as a fullback this year but as a winger last season he was much, much more effective than Nelson has been this season. I don’t even think it’s close.

Shaffelburg's game is one dimensional. He beats a player for pace and whips in crosses.

That's fine and there's certainly a place for that type of player, but Nelson brings a lot more in terms of integrating with his teammates and he can create for himself if need be (and he's got underrated speed). Nelson's also three years younger.

I agree that Shaffelburg's second half of 2021 was great, but he hasn't really shown anything close since. That could be down to lack of playing time at LW, but the underlying stats show that Nelson is a far better distributor than Shaffelburg and roughly equal defensively despite playing higher up this field this year.

With Insigne set to take up the lion's share of LW minutes, Shaffelburg's time as an attacker will decrease even more. At 22, he needs to be a starter (or close to it) somewhere.

2 hours ago, RS said:

Shaffelburg's game is one dimensional. He beats a player for pace and whips in crosses.

That's fine and there's certainly a place for that type of player, but Nelson brings a lot more in terms of integrating with his teammates and he can create for himself if need be (and he's got underrated speed). Nelson's also three years younger.

I agree that Shaffelburg's second half of 2021 was great, but he hasn't really shown anything close since. That could be down to lack of playing time at LW, but the underlying stats show that Nelson is a far better distributor than Shaffelburg and roughly equal defensively despite playing higher up this field this year.

With Insigne set to take up the lion's share of LW minutes, Shaffelburg's time as an attacker will decrease even more. At 22, he needs to be a starter (or close to it) somewhere.

He's definitely one dimensional. The thing that impressed me last season (after being critical of him up that point) is he finally developed a real ability to be dangerous in the final third. He had some really good crosses and finishes last season. With that ability and his pace, he can still be successful in MLS no matter how one-dimensional he is. I haven't seen anything like that from Nelson. Granted, he's younger than Shaff so maybe he develops that. But maybe he doesn't. 

But i would agree that Shaff needs to get out ASAP

Edited by Floortom

Because of his one dimensional nature of beating someone for pace and whipping in crosses, that was why i was a supported of trying to convert him to LB. So far that has been a failure but I still think that realistically that is his only way to ever get into the national team (even given the fact we have the best LB on the planet but he plays further forward for us).  I just never see him beating out Davies, Buchanan, Millar, Corbeanu, Nelson and others who have yet to 100% commit up top (and obviously we still have Hoilett as well).

That being said, its probably more realistic that he could carve out a career for himself at the MLS level or similar at the LW position but just not be in the national team picture in any serious way.

20 hours ago, RS said:

This is spot on. 

I kinda wonder if the ability to run an inferior talent might build up a part of his game and gain some confidence. Maybe that's not so much of a step back if his other options to play minutes are gonna be meh. 

And yes, my bias is significant. 

Edited by Califax

I looked back, and Shaff got 7 starts at LB before getting injured.  In his 3rd - 5th game TFC went 2-1-0 playing in a formation with a back 3 and Shaff as the left wing back. The next game they lose to NYFC, BradleySr. abandons the 3 at the back formation, Shaff gets injured and that’s history.  He got 2 games at LB and 4 as a LWB (3 of which he played well), and he was completely written off. 
I do think he’s best suited as a LW, and with Insigne and Criscito here now, he isn’t getting any playing time, but it would be interesting if he did go to a team and had a good run of games as a LWB, or even as a LB on a team without disfunction in the CB and DMid… let’s face it, the combo of Bradley, Salceido, O’Neill, Mavinga or any one of the other CBs was/is a train wreck.  

20 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I think he can help another MLS club at winger and start. He won’t be more than a good MLS player but still he can play.

Considering that the Whitecaps left footed wingback is perpetually injured (Gutiterrez), and his back up (Martins) has also seen the physio a lot lately, he could have been a possible back up there in some kind of trade but I don't see it happpening now.

From what I have seen, Shaffelburg is a player who needs space to attack in order to produce optimum attacking results.  Like Rudi says, he's not multi-dimensional: for instance, he doesn't have those close quarters, under pressure touch possession skills, so too often you see him lose the ball too easily in those situations.

But if a guy like Pasher can have a regular squad gig in this league, so can Shaffelburg.

26 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

From what I have seen, Shaffelburg is a player who needs space to attack in order to produce optimum attacking results.  Like Rudi says, he's not multi-dimensional: for instance, he doesn't have those close quarters, under pressure touch possession skills, so too often you see him lose the ball too easily in those situations.

But if a guy like Pasher can have a regular squad gig in this league, so can Shaffelburg.

On those runs down the flank, I would have liked more instances whereby he is able to cut inside (every once in a while) and be able to dribble and control the ball in tight spaces. And, from that, to be able to deliver decisive balls or create scoring chances for his team mates or himself in those instances.  This is why he looked impressive on his very first outing and less so every subsequent outing.  

Edited by Free kick

8 minutes ago, Free kick said:

On those runs down the flank, I would have liked more instances whereby he is able to cut inside (every once in a while) and be able to dribble and control the ball in tight spaces. And, from that, to be able to deliver decisive balls or create scoring chances for his team mates or himself in those instances.  This why he looked impressive on his very first outing and less so every subsequent outing.  

Opponents see video and prep accordingly.

I hope he moves. I also hope we are getting to a point where some of these guys turn into MLS journeymen. That isn't a slight towards them. They can be decent depth peices for the national team and camp poutine participants. I have been tracking Canadians in this league for years and they generally fall into 1 of 2 categories. Young guys, mostly playing for the 3 Canadian teams. Or reliable National team players. It is rare to have a senior Canadian in the league stick around for years. Tesho is probably the only one thay fits into that category.

27 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I hope he moves. I also hope we are getting to a point where some of these guys turn into MLS journeymen. That isn't a slight towards them. They can be decent depth peices for the national team and camp poutine participants. I have been tracking Canadians in this league for years and they generally fall into 1 of 2 categories. Young guys, mostly playing for the 3 Canadian teams. Or reliable National team players. It is rare to have a senior Canadian in the league stick around for years. Tesho is probably the only one thay fits into that category.

Teibert as well

19 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Boca Jrs bid for the player

Boca bid for Schaffleburg? God I would love that, but it cannot be accurate, can it?

He'd definitely round out his game down there...

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, PastPros said:

Son of Pierre gives his blessing to the move, via the Montreal cheese man.

That sounds like a prophecy from Nostradamus 🙂

“After there is great trouble among mankind, a greater one is prepared. The great mover of the universe will renew time, rain, blood, thirst, famine, steel weapons and disease. In the heavens, a fire seen” 
 Nostradamus, Prophecies of Nostradamus

https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/nostradamus-quotes

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Colliedor said:

And it should be noted that it's the Boca Juniors playing in the Colombian second division.

So there is a South American link? That would be an interesting move, possibly one step backward, two steps forward.

• 2 weeks later...