Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

There were some pushing that Criscito rumor hard on twitter, so that probably means it was all horseshit.  

Depends on whether you think Fabrizio Romano is trustworthy. He was the one pushing it hard.

Feb. 23: https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1496518132521136129

Feb. 25: https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1497236139522113538

Mar. 1: https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1498821459334074373

25 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I dont know him, but old Fab there he has about a million tweets and they seem to all be about somebody signing somewhere or someone is in talks with x , y and z clubs.  Maybe he is the sevengali of transfers.  

Soccer Bob Mackenzie basically 

3 hours ago, El Hombre said:

All things being equal, I have a feeling that Shaffleburg may continue in the LWB position instead of Petrasso.  I feel like he has the speed for that position in this formation, while Petrasso may not.  We'll see.

Petrasso in this short time has shown he has more skill, composure than Shaff too. 

5 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

I know I was surprised when Petrasso was ahead of him as a winger. Now it makes sense with Petrasso's quality on the ball and how he works in tight spaces. He also takes corners on the one side. 

When Insigne shows up, will Petrasso move back to LB/LWB which I thought was his more natural position? Shaff may indeed be riding the pine because I don't see how you sit Petrasso. 

Love Shaff's hustle and he has a great left foot. Just a little one dimension right now. 

You can never seem to get away from the running joke on this forum about converting wingers to full backs. 

Anyhow, I think Petrasso should stay on the wing or attacking mid. He should be converted to right wing when Insigne comes in at the very least. 

1 minute ago, Macksam said:

You can never seem to get away from the running joke on this forum about converting wingers to full backs. 

Anyhow, I think Petrasso should stay on the wing or attacking mid. He should be converted to right wing when Insigne comes in at the very least. 

As far as I know he is trained as a LB. Maybe he played winger for the academy/TFC 2 as well, I can't remember. Always seen him listed as a LB though and Bradley moved him up to a winger this season. 

He does have the chops to be a winger though as he clearly is demonstrating. 

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I dont know him, but old Fab there he has about a million tweets and they seem to all be about somebody signing somewhere or someone is in talks with x , y and z clubs.  Maybe he is the sevengali of transfers.  

He has 7.5 million followers.  almost double what ESPN FC has

Edited by Free kick

My biggest concern with the Shaff LB experiment was that it was being done at the same time as the JMR RB experiment. I don't have an issue with trying them at the position, but my worry was them both being tried at the same time. When you have players trying new positions, mistakes are to be expected, so my preference would be that they would be paired with someone more defenisvely experienced on the other side who could basically provide coverage (Auro would've been useful for that Imo). I felt early on, Shaff and JMR would get caught out of position simultaneously and then there would be multiple odd man rushes the other way. Basically errors could get magnified, which might not help confidence. Since then there's been a formation change (3 at the back) which has helped (plus JMR got injured and Chung - a natural defender - has taken an expanded role at RB). 

Most talk of Shaffelburg (or MacNaughton or Chung or Petrasso) having a case of making the Qatar roster is based on watching ONE highlight but not evaluating every touch, and every run (offensively or defensively) for the entire game. Nations League and friendlies - sure, we need to expose the younger players for the next cycle. But come on, we have a lot more depth than these fringe MLS youngsters not to mention we have more established MLS players at the position (Raheem Edwards). I would put Davies at LB and let more of our offensive depth than have Shaffelburg/Gutierrez/Petrasso and the likes on the team.

Edited by ballerz

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not sure Left Wingback is going to be his for the long term. Struggled again tonight.  Rated the worst by far on FotMob at 5.7.

Checked his stat line and I will say that my eye test didn’t look nearly as bad as the stat line shows.

In 80 minutes:

6 accurate passes for a completion % of 37.5%
Accurate Crosses - 0 for 2

Accurate Long Balls - 0 for 4

Dribbles attempted - 0 for 3

Ground Duels Won - 2 for 9

Possession Lost - 22 times

Edited by Corazon

27 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I’m not sure Left Wingback is going to be his for the long term. Struggled again tonight.  Rated the worst by far on FotMob at 5.7.

Checked his stat line and I will say that my eye test didn’t look nearly as bad as the stat line shows.

In 80 minutes:

6 accurate passes for a completion % of 37.5%
Accurate Crosses - 0 for 2

Accurate Long Balls - 0 for 4

Dribbles attempted - 0 for 3

Ground Duels Won - 2 for 9

Possession Lost - 22 times

Not saying he had a good game because he didn’t, but in the two goals where he played a part in conceding, Mavinga was a worse offender.  And for the record, all of the back line (and Bono) were rated worse than him on FotMob.  Agree that he shouldn’t be played as an outside defender though - at least not with a group of CBs as utterly brutal as that.  

279A9D1D-0EB4-49A3-956C-3362E1602812.jpeg

Edited by dyslexic nam

Ridiculous when you see two apps with quite a few differences in scoring.  Not every algorithm is the same but have to think they’re similar.  Every time I see a railing on FotMob or SofaScore, I take it with a grain of salt.  I usually look at the personal stats for a better judgement.  In this case Shaffelburg’s stats from FotMob should have been lower than even a 5.7

full heartedly agree with the sentiments from the entire backline including Thompson from the opposite.  Kosi is gonna get off east because of his hockey assist in the first goal and his incredible assist on the 2nd goal but defensively, also shaky.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not saying he had a good game because he didn’t, but in the two goals where he played a part in conceding, Mavinga was a worse offender.  And for the record, all of the back line (and Bono) were rated worse than him on FotMob.  Agree that he shouldn’t be played as an outside defender though - at least not with a group of CBs as utterly brutal as that.  

279A9D1D-0EB4-49A3-956C-3362E1602812.jpeg

Whoever did these rankings, especially Pozuelo’s and Bono’s, needs to seek mental help immediately 

13 hours ago, Floortom said:

Good example of how terrible these stats can be when Bono is the lowest rated player on the team. 

Shaff and Petrasso were really poor. Pozeulo and Bradley too until the end of match when they got some stats.

Bono?  Two huge saves in first half alone.  Strange 

5 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

You can't really take anything away from anyone's game playing on that rediculous excuse for a field. 

Shaff was phenomenal last week. I have no problem giving him some more opportunities to show what he can do at wingback.

I disagree about the field being the cause.  Mavinga twice just let his go so that he could tap in an easy shot when left alone in the box.  That isn’t a field issue.  

The  field may be shit but so was the defense.  

4 hours ago, Ruud said:

Bono?  Two huge saves in first half alone.  Strange 

It'll be baked into the formula, give up a goal, get a deduction, 5 GA=bad score, doesnt matter if Bradley coughs up the ball that leads to an easy tap in.