Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

Born 1999 class of 2019 left footed physical beast from Nova Scotia who goes to Berkshire School in Massachusetts. Played in a friendly last month with Bethlehem Steel replacing Nanco.

http://www.brotherlygame.com/2017/3/17/14957746/academy-newcomer-jacob-shaffelburg-makes-debut-in-bethlehem-steel-friendly

http://www.phillysoccerpage.net/2017/03/17/steel-draw-harrisburg-1-1/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9K-5iIahXc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSiCy2E24rU

Edited by Big_M

• 1 year later...

http://thecanplhub.com/features/whos-look-atlantic-selects-squad/

Seems like a nice prospect.  Finding success with a program like Virginia would certainly put him on MLS trajectory at least:

Jacob Shaffelburg
Shaffelburg comes into the Atlantic Selects squad having recently been named Massachusetts Boys Soccer Player of the Year – the last player from his school to receive the award was a certain Jack Harrison, now of Manchester City. He announced his commitment to the University of Virignia in May 2018, but has already been tipped for a bright future in the game. The 2017 Canada Games All-Star Team striker represented Bethlehem Steel in a friendly back in March 2017, replacing Chris Nanco, and he made a single appearance for Toronto FC III three months later.

Edited by Shortdutchcanuck

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Where do i know the name Emmanuele Dolo from?

That was the name that I recognized too. I am not sure about the first name but I am pretty sure @Obinna talked about a young player named Dolo from Newfoundland a couple years ago. I don’t remember more than that.

Obinna, is this the same guy? Can you give us a run down?

51 minutes ago, Kent said:

That was the name that I recognized too. I am not sure about the first name but I am pretty sure @Obinna talked about a young player named Dolo from Newfoundland a couple years ago. I don’t remember more than that.

Obinna, is this the same guy? Can you give us a run down?

Good memory Kent. I have brought Dolo up a few times over the years. I went into length in the HFX thread earlier today, but to summarize, he's an 18 year old striker from Newfoundland, but like Davies originates from Liberia and came over as a child. Also like Davies, he's quick and has a great left foot. 

He's scored buckets of goals at various club national tournaments over the years and was identified by the Whitecaps after a good showing with team Atlantic at Allstar nationals. Didn't catch on in vancouver or with the Impact, whom he also had a trial with, but participated in those Canada U15 ID camps a few years ago and also had a year-long stint in the Ottawa Fury academy. When the Fury project disbanded, he returned to Newfoundland, finished up his high school, and is now playing in the provincial Challenge Cup league with Feildians.

That was probably more information than you needed, but I am pretty excited about the player. I never, ever played against him, he's quite young, but a buddy of mine from back home has coached him and mentioned how much potential he has and I have been keeping tabs from away whenever news on him comes out. This buddy has also worked with Stephen Hart in the past, so it is likely he recommended Dolo to him, that's if Hart wasn't already aware of him, which he may have been. 

There will be a lot of competition to get minutes in this camp, let alone earn a contract with HFX down the road, but I am rooting for him, as he seems to be one of the brightest prospects out there from Newfoundland, if not Atlantic Canada.

Edited by Obinna

23 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Why not both AND a shot at MLS perhaps?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't athletes who sign pro contracts ineligible for NCAA participation? I think that's the reason why some American hockey prospects don't sign with junior teams in the CHL. Might be an OR vs. an AND because of this.

35 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Why not both AND a shot at MLS perhaps?

He can’t play in CPL and NCAA so he has to choose.  This is where it gets interesting.. do you want to go all in as a pro or take the “safe” route.  Playing as a teenage pro in Halifax before jetting off is tempting but so is partying with sororities in Virginia but then again that means you’re on a road to selling your soul to mls and being locked down (delayed development perhaps). 

12 minutes ago, HfxCeltic said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't athletes who sign pro contracts ineligible for NCAA participation? I think that's the reason why some American hockey prospects don't sign with junior teams in the CHL. Might be an OR vs. an AND because of this.

Yep it is.  You can go from NCAA to CHL but not the other way around.  

His best option is probably to play his first year at Virginia and see where he stands and set goals.. maybe quit and go pro as many do if he feels up to it.  If he really impresses MLS will want to give him a Canadian GA deal and compete with CPL.. so it’s all good for him.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Yep it is.  You can go from NCAA to CHL but not the other way around.  

His best option is probably to play his first year at Virginia and see where he stands and set goals.. maybe quit and go pro as many do if he feels up to it.  If he really impresses MLS will want to give him a Canadian GA deal and compete with CPL.. so it’s all good for him.

Exactly. The university soccer season starts at the end of August and wraps up with College Cup on December 9th. So he can get in an entire university season before deciding whether he wants to join CPL or not. And as Keegan said, he might have other offers to consider by then if he performs well.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently a great sub performance against Dusseldorf in Halifax as per @HfxCeltic in Wanderers thread.  Beauty goal, some tricky wing play and drew a red card on defender.  

Any other comments from those who watched the game?

Looking forward to watching this young man's NCAA career, it's been a few years since we've had a real blue chip prospect to follow there.

7 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Apparently a great sub performance against Dusseldorf in Halifax as per @HfxCeltic in Wanderers thread.  Beauty goal, some tricky wing play and drew a red card on defender.  

Any other comments from those who watched the game?

Looking forward to watching this young man's NCAA career, it's been a few years since we've had a real blue chip prospect to follow there.

He was great, the kind of player where the whole stadium just takes a deep breath when he gets on the ball. Played on the left wing and was extremely direct and had bags and bags of pace. Always took his man on and constantly tried to get in behind the right back. Gave a totally different dimension to the Atlantic team when he came on. Looked as good, if not better, than any Dusseldorf player going forward.

Said this in the Wanderers thread but I REALLY hope we sign him. First player I thought of when I found out we were getting a team. Its always nice to have a really good exciting prospect as Vancouver fans are finding out. At the very least this puts pressure on MLS to offer him a GA deal when he's done his first year of NCAA. He'll play one year there, if he likes school he may decide to stay, but I can't see Halifax not offering him a contract, and if his year in the NCAA is really good, he could be a Canadian GA pick if MLS feels he might be snatched by CPL... So either way it is good for him that Halifax now exists. 

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.nesoccerjournal.com/berkshire-jacob-shaffelburg-professional-soccer-options/

Jacob Shaffelburg, the reigning Massachusetts Gatorade Player of the Year, has significant interest to sign a professional contract in Europe or with Major League Soccer, said a source with direct knowledge of the situation.

Shaffelburg, a Nova Scotia native entering his senior season at the Berkshire School, could sign with MLS and be eligible for the 2019 MLS SuperDraft in January. German clubs 1. FC Nürnberg, Werder Bremen and Fortuna Dusseldorf have also shown interest in the forward