Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

5 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

But theoretically MLS could develop a foreign-player rule that is not based on green card status, no?

Just like they created the DP rules and designate certain players as DP's and only so many DP's per team, does american labor laws get involved in that? They pulled that out of their ass.....why cant they make MLS INT status similar (a strictly internal league designation like DP) and use their own rules/criteria for it?  Especially when they have 2 countries and 2 different immigration/labor systems involved.  

13 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Just like they created the DP rules and designate certain players as DP's and only so many DP's per team, does american labor laws get involved in that? They pulled that out of their ass.....why cant they make MLS INT status similar (a strictly internal league designation like DP) and use their own rules/criteria for it?  Especially when they have 2 countries and 2 different immigration/labor systems involved.  

DP rules have nothing to do with a player's nationality, though. Most of the MLS rules that people lament are based on salary/seniority, which is perfectly fine.

It's hard not to run afoul of either government if MLS makes a rule that says "this player is still counts as a foreigner even though he has a green card/permanent residency." It's literally illegal.

51 minutes ago, RS said:

I could be wrong on this, and I'm happy to see any actual documentation to the contrary, but based on following these rules for years I don't think a league could circumvent their own country's actual labour designations.

26 minutes ago, RS said:

It's hard not to run afoul of either government if MLS makes a rule that says "this player is still counts as a foreigner even though he has a green card/permanent residency." It's literally illegal.

This makes sense to me, but pro sports leagues have single entity and other structures to circumvent competition and restraint of trade rules, no? They make roster-related rules about that seem to restrict employment of domestic workers, such as discovery and acquisition rules, home grown players, transfer windows, having to be full-time, contract exclusivity, not allowing collegiate players from playing professionally while enrolled, minimum age requirements, etc.

This is not a challenge to your statement - I'm not well-versed in this and you've lived this stuff.

But the whole setup of a single sports league is naturally discriminatory against workers.

Edited by The Real Marc

15 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

This makes sense to me, but pro sports leagues have single entity and other structures to circumvent competition and restraint of trade rules, no? They make roster-related rules about that seem to restrict employment of domestic workers, such as discovery and acquisition rules, home grown players, transfer windows, having to be full-time, contract exclusivity, not allowing collegiate players from playing professionally while enrolled, minimum age requirements, etc.

This is not a challenge to your statement - I'm not well-versed in this and you've lived this stuff.

But the whole setup of a single sports league is naturally discriminatory against workers.

None of what you say is wrong.

The sports leagues all walk a fine line on the stuff you're talking about, but circumventing long-established labour regulations (which are tied to civil rights) is simply something no one wants to approach. I think suppression of pay, restriction of movement, etc., are far more "tolerated" because it's sports rather than the "real world", although a lot of that stuff happens in the real world too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, much like the rest of the corporate world, I think sports leagues can get away with messing around with everything you mentioned except a worker's right to work. That's what the green card issue boils down to, for me.

21 minutes ago, RS said:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, much like the rest of the corporate world, I think sports leagues can get away with messing around with everything you mentioned except a worker's right to work. That's what the green card issue boils down to, for me.

This makes sense. Restricting movement? No sweat. Restricting on age? Iffy but can likely can get away with. Restricting on citizenship? Dangerwillrobinson.

Edited by The Real Marc

8 hours ago, RS said:

That won't happen, if only because no FIFA affiliated soccer league in the world works that way.

Would that really prevent MLS from doing it? I think MLS should eventually get rid of when the big media money eventually rolls in. Just give really good cap incentives for homegrown players to ensure clubs stay interested with their youth development initiatives and voila, the league should still have a good base of really good American and Canadian domestics amongst all the international talent. 

On 9/8/2022 at 7:57 AM, Kent said:

I can't remember which team, but I am pretty sure a month or 2 ago TFC played a team that started 0 Americans (based on the flags chosen by TSN to put on the starting lineup). I agree with you on the last sentence, I have had the same thought.

During Mihailovic and Toye injuries, Montréal probably played few matches without any Americans. Miljevic never starts, and I have no idea who Logan Ketterer is.

On 9/10/2022 at 5:04 PM, MauditYvon said:

During Mihailovic and Toye injuries, Montréal probably played few matches without any Americans. Miljevic never starts, and I have no idea who Logan Ketterer is.

It was an American team. It wouldn't have been remarkable to me for a Canadian team to not start any Americans.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Just pressured and won the ball in America's box and hit a perfect pass across, should have been an assist.

In the first minute or two in the game, he gave Bunbury a sitter that was saved by the keeper.  A few minutes later, he sent another low cross to Bunbury,  that the forward failed to convert.  The kid looks legit.

Looking forward to seeing the full game highlights. Unfortunately I missed the first half.  I caught a few minutes in the 2nd half and the commentators were raving about him, saying that he we was terrorizing Layun down the left.

If only he didn't play the same position as Davies, Buchanon, Hoillet, Millar and Corbeanu...