Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I don’t think there’s a question about that but I’d be curious to see where we rank in the world. Who would be the main challengers? 

Jamaica and Trinidad? 

France has got to be the only country faster than us, if that. Davies might be the fastest player in Europe, Bombito and possibly Shaff are even faster, guys like David and TB are some of the fastest players at their positions as well. No really consistent stats on these types of things, but we arguably have two of the top 5 fastest players on earth, and quite a few speedsters beyond them. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Mbappe, Moussa Diaby, Ousmane Dembele, Rudiger, and even Theo Hernandez make top lists I have seen.  Very hit and miss coverage on top speed but hard to think many sides have that many. 

I've seen Theo as well. 

Quite a few years ago in his modest EPL career, Hector Bellerín was touted as the fasted footballer in the world. So you can't just look at a guy and predict speed.

In Spain, they have Vinicius as fastest, but the second fastest is a relatively unknown Romanian at Rayo Vallecano, Andrei Ratiu, who's a CB.

And Shaffelburg and the rest of our speedy attackers: if we can't transition fast enough to get them a ball in space, or isolated one on one on a defender, we can't use that speed. That game against Trinidad, Buchanan was ineffective because they sat back and absorbed him. Shaff scored on a late counter when they had lost their shape, it's not casual.

I find it a bit silly to talk about Bombito's speed because if he does not have positioning, can't read a play, reacts slowly, it means nothing. And if Canada does not play a high line or get exposed, or if his teammates are where they should be, he might not have to use his speed.

In modern football many great CBs are relatively slow and are even known for successfully shutting down much faster attackers. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 5/5/2024 at 7:39 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

I don’t think there’s a question about that but I’d be curious to see where we rank in the world. Who would be the main challengers? 

What about the United States?

Weah and Pulisic are obvioulsy fast players. Balogun seems pretty fast, too. Dest is definitely not slow. Jedi Robinson may be the fastest left back in the region aside from Davies. Richards has wheels, Miles Robinson pre-injury was beating Tajon for pace in a few instances, I recall.

Feels like I am missing a few players as well....

• 2 weeks later...