Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

I suspect he is also pretty content where he is.  He gets to play in Canada for arguable the biggest team in the country and has been making good progress both in terms of playing time and impact.   I think both parties would be happy to have his contract renewed with an increase in pay that reflects his growing contribution.  And for a team with such a massive wage bill, it should be fairly easy to justify a pay bump to keep Shaff happy.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I suspect he is also pretty content where he is.  He gets to play in Canada for arguable the biggest team in the country and has been making good progress both in terms of playing time and impact.   I think both parties would be happy to have his contract renewed with an increase in pay that reflects his growing contribution.  And for a team with such a massive wage bill, it should be fairly easy to justify a pay bump to keep Shaff happy.  

This says it all about, Jacob has really stepped up over the last few months thus earned a WCQ call-up in October. But if you look back in September he had really fallen even within TFC to the point they had actually loaned him to TFCII for the rest of the season to open up a roster spot. Javier Perez had really shown confidence in him and it has paid off in a big way.

https://www.torontofc.ca/news/toronto-fc-loan-jacob-shaffelburg-to-toronto-fc-ii

He has had these ups and downs before, where he really emerged in 2019, his first year with the team and basically did not play at all in 2020 to the point there was suggestion a CPL loan for him was the best way to go with Halifax being the obvious choice. But that has all changed now, the kids had a future and seems to want to make the most of it, I love what he brings to the pitch. Some real east coast pride with that big support of a family behind him. 

5 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I had no idea he was supposed to have been loaned out to TFC2 for the remainder of the season. What a ridiculous move that would have been given how unproductive the players playing ahead of him were. It's yet another example of something that makes the current TFC brass look even more like clueless dolts.

Unless he has absolutely no other options, I would wait to see what changes TFC  make re their coach/Management before signing an extension

17 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I had no idea he was supposed to have been loaned out to TFC2 for the remainder of the season. What a ridiculous move that would have been given how unproductive the players playing ahead of him were. It's yet another example of something that makes the current TFC brass look even more like clueless dolts.

TFC management has certainly left people scratching their heads this season. They certainly dodged a bullet considering they were ready to let Jacob rot at TFC II. 

24 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Unless he has absolutely no other options, I would wait to see what changes TFC  make re their coach/Management before signing an extension

Another year paid a decent amount while racking up first team minutes would be a decent way to spend next year even if TFC continues to underwhelm.  The main thing for him is playing time - and he got enough this year (while games were still meaningful) to make me think he would play lots there next year.   

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Another year paid a decent amount while racking up first team minutes would be a decent way to spend next year even if TFC continues to underwhelm.  The main thing for him is playing time - and he got enough this year (while games were still meaningful) to make me think he would play lots there next year.   

Agree if he continues to get consistent minutes, but personally I would like to see some positive changes (management/coach/players) in the off season to ensure the club is on the right path to where it was just a few years ago. TFC likely has a club option on him which they could exercise for at least 1 yr anyways

5 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I honestly think it was just an intern writing a press release who didn't really know, considering none of the other press releases were written with those words. From what I remember when they sent down Jon Bakero a couple years ago, the USL full season loan that gets a player off the roster has a "no recall" feature. Shaff was back training with the first squad in photos a couple days later, so it couldn't have been a full season loan and was just a badly written press release 

They had loaned Dunn and Perruza the week before but didnt mention it was for the season, doesnt matter much as they reserve the right to bring them back as needed.  But it kind does show what Perez thought of him, that and the fact that Endoh was still getting games until he got injured.  And they were going to send him down not Ehdoh.  Who knows what TFC will do in the offseason, but they could do a big retool and bring in another Soteldo type and Shaff would legitimately be stuck behind someone.  He has done enough there should at least be some MLS interest in him, if he decides to move on.  Where ever he lands I hope he keeps getting chances.  

On 11/6/2021 at 12:01 AM, Bison44 said:

They had loaned Dunn and Perruza the week before but didnt mention it was for the season, doesnt matter much as they reserve the right to bring them back as needed.  But it kind does show what Perez thought of him, that and the fact that Endoh was still getting games until he got injured.  And they were going to send him down not Ehdoh.  Who knows what TFC will do in the offseason, but they could do a big retool and bring in another Soteldo type and Shaff would legitimately be stuck behind someone.  He has done enough there should at least be some MLS interest in him, if he decides to move on.  Where ever he lands I hope he keeps getting chances.  

One thing all say  if they do bring in Bob Bradley he has been very good with giving Canadians playing time with LAFC .

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Shway said:

He would have to have a breakout season next year - which is highly possible.

Corbeanu, Millar, and Shaffelburg could all be fighting for the same spot. 

Good high impact option maybe, but both are a long way from Liam today, and if Theo keeps going it’s just one chasing the other. 

15 minutes ago, jordan said:

Good high impact option maybe, but both are a long way from Liam today, and if Theo keeps going it’s just one chasing the other. 

Theo shouldn’t be considered “a long way” from Liam. Imo.

We got guys who can create, but having an impact option who can score is why I think Theo brings something different other than what Millar and Shaffelburg bring.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Nice to see Bradley the Elder giving Shaffelburg a shot at being the fulltime LB.  There is a lot to learn but I always felt that he could be good in the role and I hope he makes it his own.

Full time LB….Criscito is apparently on his way.

Criscito may be used as cover but at his age of 35 I don't seem him bombing up and down the pitch day in, day out the way Shaffelburg was doing. I have a feeling that we'll be seeing him a lot as a fullback.

Bradley's analysis (Bob that is, not Michael) was that Jacob didn't have the greatest start but grew into the role and played really well the rest of the match - and of course he praised the whole team on the goal in Dallas (a place where TFC rarely get points) but no doubt he will be pleased at Shaffelburg's key contribution to it.  What I liked about that goal is not only how many passes TFC had in constructing it, but that 4 of the 5 Canucks on the field at the time contributed to it (Kerr being the only exception, who Bradley Sr. said never really got into the game, which was the same impression I had, though obviously his first ever start so probably still a great learning experience for him).

4 hours ago, Shway said:

Full time LB….Criscito is apparently on his way.

... to replace Mavinga, whose form has fallen off a cliff.

1 hour ago, JAVIERF said:

I dont think this fellow is a full back.  Midfield role better.  Is not streetwise enough to be a proper defender .  specialized players are required there.  

You had De Jong Kuklowski Jazic Hastings even Brennan there in the past .   

Many fullbacks have been converted wingers.  Some get streetwise enough (Stalteri developed into an excellent team defender as a fullback/wingback), whereas some couldn't (Ryan Telfer).  Time will tell.