Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

44 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

When you look at where other Canadian players with similar resumes have wound up (Fraser to Belgium D2, Bair to Norway D2) it's pretty impressive that he's been able to go to the Greek league and be a consistent starter. Hopefully a permanent move can be worked out.

If he impresses and get a move to a bigger Greek club then he should shoot up the depth chart. AEK, Olympaicos, Panathinaikos and PAOK are no slouches.

5 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Just over 2 years ago, Cornelius started every game in GC 2019 and in the 2-0 NL home win v USA. Perhaps others can correct me but I don't think he has had a poor game for Canada?  He's also pretty decent on set pieces and defending against crosses into the box.  

Thought he played very well vs Jamaica

19 hours ago, Floortom said:

Is it common for players to move from that club to the bigger Greek clubs? It's a very small club.  I'm on transfrmket looking at their last few seasons squads and not seeing much movement up. Although Im sure it's possible. 

Yes

Edit:  This is what I have been hoping for when he first got there. I am not expecting him to stay at Panetolikos after this year, relegation or no.

Edited by Metro

19 hours ago, Floortom said:

Is it common for players to move from that club to the bigger Greek clubs? It's a very small club.  I'm on transfrmket looking at their last few seasons squads and not seeing much movement up. Although Im sure it's possible. 

I imagine scouts from the Turkish league scope out the Greek league, so there may be some admirers there as well. 

One lineup I saw suggested he was a right-side wing back or mid today. It'd be great to see highlights. 

The team is getting some distance from the relegation group and sniffing midtable. 

Deybi Flores the Honduran former Whitecap played 90 but he was left out of the Honduras team for this window. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 4 weeks later...

Cornelius has his 21st appearance in the Greek top flight today and while Panetolikos is in the bottom half of the table the team has been performing well recently. If he stays healthy and continues to start for his team this season, Derek will surpass all his appearances with the Whitecaps in the last 3 seasons. Would really like to see him start at least 1 game in the next WCQ window. His last start was away to Jamaica

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Cornelius has his 21st appearance in the Greek top flight today and while Panetolikos is in the bottom half of the table the team has been performing well recently. If he stays healthy and continues to start for his team this season, Derek will surpass all his appearances with the Whitecaps in the last 3 seasons. Would really like to see him start at least 1 game in the next WCQ window. His last start was away to Jamaica

1-0 clean sheet win over Panathinaikos with Cornelius going 90 mins. 

Great win over a good team. 

6 hours ago, Kadenge said:

That is a big win against a traditional powerhouse.

Am I mistaken: he was our only field player to not get minutes last window?

Also think he should get minutes, and also pleased our pool is widening.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That is a big win against a traditional powerhouse.

Am I mistaken: he was our only field player to not get minutes last window?

Also think he should get minutes, and also pleased our pool is widening.

Gutierrez as well, though he didn't travel to El Salvador due to COVID-19 and might otherwise have gotten a look.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Still puzzled as to why it didn't work out in Vancouver for him.  He always seemed to be afforded a lower margin for error than the other CBs before getting the hook.

However, I am very pleased to see him back in the mix via his club play.

I agree re: Cornelious being given a shorter leash than others. I find when a guy's on a lower value contract, managers generally give them the hook faster than guys the club/manager "has committed to" in the form of a higher value contract. The irony, especially in a salary cap league, is that this is essentially a sunk cost fallacy in action.

12 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

I agree re: Cornelious being given a shorter leash than others. I find when a guy's on a lower value contract, managers generally give them the hook faster than guys the club/manager "has committed to" in the form of a higher value contract. The irony, especially in a salary cap league, is that this is essentially a sunk cost fallacy in action.

It was mind-boggling because in his case, the player he lost his place to was mostly Andy Rose, who was essentially a player-coach at that point. Andy seemed like a decent guy, but his performances were underwhelming. Another MDS mystery.