Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

Great move if it works out. Malmo are historically one of the best clubs in Sweden. They regularly play in Europe, but are more of a Europa/Conference team than a Champions/Europa team. Still, we need more players in winning environments where they are expected to fight for trophies. Mid or lower table is fine if you are in a top 5 league, such as Udinese or Watford (EPL), but if not a top 5 league than a Porto, Besiktas, Brugge, Red Star, Malmo....these are the types of environments we want for the majority of our players. 

Also, a reminder that Malmo was the club Mitrovic almost moved to. The deal fell apart at the final stages and I cannot recall why. Something about the coach being let go (he was Serbian). 

Mitrovic is gone, yes, but he's an up-and-coming player, so I bring him up to show the types of players Malmo goes after, just to highlight the level of club Malmo is. For them to go after Cornelius is a good thing for Derek and for Canada as well.

On the wages, I would assume Malmo is near or at the top of salaries, so Cornelius would likely pull in more than that average wage. At least double, I am guessing. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Cripes, just keeps going. Even guys who didn't play in the World Cup.

Now we need all those lower level guys to fill in behind them.

Not that Sweden is a higher level than Greece, but I think he's been on his Whitecaps salary until now. So this must mean a salary jump as well.

Lends credence to the idea that Waterman rumors are legit and not just some mix up between him and Kamal Miller, as both play for Montreal (for now).

1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

HIs salary with the Whitecaps is $127,00.00 would  he make a lot more in Sweden?  Note: not sure the accuracy of the below.  

main-qimg-c4fe145e728d6c9ff8ec46652d8357f9-c

I simply think he doesn't want to go back to the Whitecaps. Probably feels he should have been a starter there all this time.

And MLS' archaic and discriminatory rules probably don't make it too appetizing either.

On 12/9/2022 at 7:32 AM, narduch said:

I simply think he doesn't want to go back to the Whitecaps. Probably feels he should have been a starter there all this time.

And MLS' archaic and discriminatory rules probably don't make it too appetizing either.

If he feels that way, his assessment of his own level is far from objective. Before going on loan he was simply not a MLS quality CB.

Is he now? Maybe. But Herdman, who sees more of his play than we do, still sees him as below Miller and Kennedy on the depth chart. Two managers in a row in Vancouver preferred to use Jake Nerwinski on his off side rather than keep Cornelius on the roster. Two years ago he was USL Championship fodder. Now he’s maybe capable of being a starter in MLS, but more than likely still a tweener/depth option.

I want Cornelius to have a successful career, but he’s not going to Malmo because he’s too good for MLS. Sale value was said to be ~500K USD. That’s Doneil Henry/Shane O’Neill territory.

Wish him luck and hope he makes that next step.

8 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

According to some White caps fans he was average at best, Still needs some work to do 

I wouldn't disagree with this assessment.  I just felt that he was afforded a pretty short leash for errors and sent to the bench while guys like Andy "coach on the field" Rose would make serious cock ups resulting in goals against and still get consecutive starts at CB.  However, sometimes young guys let their hubris get in the way and it rubs the coaching staff the wrong way in the process.  That may have happened here.

I hope he does really well in Sweden.  However, if he is in a back up role or loaned out to a lower level, he won't be in the squads for 2023.  I got the sense that Herdman was living and dying with those three back line starters, especially with Henry suddenly unavailable.  Cornelius was glued to the bench in the final qualifiers and lead up friendlies, so I think his hold on a roster spot is tenuous at best.  He needs to be a regular starter with Malmo.

On 12/12/2022 at 2:53 PM, footballfreak said:

Two managers in a row in Vancouver preferred to use Jake Nerwinski on his off side rather than keep Cornelius on the roster. 

The first one is ridiculously incompetent and the other never had Cornelius in training, 'cause he was already shipped off on a multi-year loan by the first guy.

21 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

The first one is ridiculously incompetent and the other never had Cornelius in training, 'cause he was already shipped off on a multi-year loan by the first guy.

Not necesarily defending Dos Santos, but wasn't Sartini on his coaching staff? He would have seen Cornelius in training, no?

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

For some reason I was under the mistaken impression that DC’s loan spell was two separate loans with a brief return to Vancouver in preseason. I don’t think it fundamentally changes my position that he didn’t play well enough when he was here to earn his spot, but point taken.

Edited by footballfreak

On 12/11/2022 at 3:18 PM, Ansem said:

Good move, I see him as Vitória replacement playing with Kennedy as our main defensive pair

Add in miller and we have 3 Left footed CB's. If we keep playing 3 atb with johnston as RCB then we have some decent balance. Otherwise I don't see any of kennedy, miller, cornelius being overly comfortable on the right.... We always talk about how bad our CB depth is, but if we narrow it down further, our Right CB's do not exist... theres not a single viable option at the moment. (waterman is the closest?)

Since this rumour started Zator rumour cropped up and is now complete. Eagerly waiting for this one to announced and become official

Montreal CF -> Celtic FC

Montreal CF -> Watford FC

York United -> Korona Kielce

Vancouver Whitecaps -> Malmo FF

This is a great transfer window for Canada even if no other moves happen, but I still think Waterman and possibly Miller will get moves. Outside chances for Buchanan and David as well.

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Since this rumour started Zator rumour cropped up and is now complete. Eagerly waiting for this one to announced and become official

Montreal CF -> Celtic FC

This is a great transfer window for Canada even if no other moves happen, but I still think Waterman and possibly Miller will get moves. Outside chances for Buchanan and David as well.

Although not a major move, I'd argue Doneil getting another chance in the MLS is also a win

7 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Although not a major move, I'd argue Doneil getting another chance in the MLS is also a win

In the same spirit we can look at: 
Yao to vancouver
Petrasso to orlando 

Maybe the only optimism with these types of moves is that they get a bit of rejuvenation in their career.

Optimistic transfer thoughts:
Okello 
akinola 
Smith
Waterman
Miller
Buchanan
JMR 
Cav?

53 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

In the same spirit we can look at: 
Yao to vancouver
Petrasso to orlando 

Maybe the only optimism with these types of moves is that they get a bit of rejuvenation in their career.

Optimistic transfer thoughts:
Okello 
akinola 
Smith
Waterman
Miller
Buchanan
JMR 
Cav?

In a way, Yao (CPL) to Vancouver (MLS) is like Zator (CPL) to Korona Kielce (Poland div 1). It's a step up, whereas Petrasso to Orlando and Henry to Minnesota are (more or less) lateral moves. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Montreal CF -> Celtic FC

Don’t forget Ronan Kratt to Bremen!!!