Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

Derek Cornelius started his professional career yesterday (if one does not count the 4 minutes he played in the German 4th division or 17 games in the German 5th division) by starting and playing 90 minutes for Javor in a 2-0 away loss to Radnicki Nis in the Serbian Super Liga. He was on the bench the previous game and not in the lineup until that game. Not sure why it took so long for him to get into Javor's lineup, whether there were transfer difficulties or they were integrating him to the team or wanted to wait until the end of the season when they were out of the possibility of the relegation group. The Serbian leagues splits into 2 groups at the end of season and Javor was the 8th and final team to make it into the Championship Group but do not have enough points to have any possibility of winning the league or even getting into a European Play spot.

Here are highlights of the game. Javor is in white and Cornelius is number 22 and can be seen in many of the highlights especially as it seems like one way traffic towards Javor's goal. They really need improve their defending on corners. Cornelius is playing as the left centre-back. He is 19 so good to have a prospect at the back where we are so weak currently.

• 5 months later...

Highlights of his recent game at CB with Javor. Doesn't look good on either goal and is to blame for the second with a poor clearance but at 2:40 he beats an opponent to the ball despite being further away and makes a nice pass to set up a chance. He has started and played 90 the last two games for Javor, a 1-0 loss where they got a red card in the 4th minute and the 3-2 victory below. They have had a poor start to the season though and the coach was fired two games ago so Cornelius play coincides with the arrival of a new coach who hopefully likes him and will continue to play him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I have been wondering if Cornelius was going to stay with Javor after relegation but was not able to find much information. They have an article on their site about a friendly they recently played and he is pictured so it seems like he will be staying at Javor in the Serbian 2nd tier. 

https://fkjavor.com/blog/2018/07/29/pobedeni-zlatibor-i-kom/

• 5 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

Just wondering... Is Cornelius the type of player we could see in CanPL, or would he probably prefer to stay in an obscur league like the one he currently plays in?

He is still young and getting playing time, which is what matters right now. IMO he has a much higher quality ceiling than that of CPL level.

Edited by LeoH037

12 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

He is still young and getting playing time, which is what matters right now. IMO he has a much higher quality ceiling than that of CPL level.

There’s no question that Cornelius has a much higher ceiling. But if the level of play in CanPL is indeed somewhere between USL and MLS, he could come home, get lots of playing time at a decent level for a few years, and then move on to a better league somewhere else.

20 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Haha by European standards the "Canadian Premier League" is probably more obscure than the Serbian First League!

The Serbian First League is a second-tier league. His team plays in a 4,000 seat stadium. The vast majority of Canadian soccer fans have never even heard of his team, or of him for that matter.

IMO he shouldn't be coming to CPL right away. That being said, I do think that he has to get out of the Serbian second tier ASAP. He's 20 right now and the next 3 three years are crucial for his development. It is the sweet spot where he is still eligible for to play for the U23 team but is old enough to train with the first team. I think that his best option is to sign with a tier one club in England, Germany, Italy or Spain and play for the second team or get loaned out. If he impresses, anything is possible. If he played any position other than CB, I would have no problem with him staying where he is. But since we are so thin at CB, he really needs to push himself to get to the highest possible level.

38 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

IMO he shouldn't be coming to CPL right away. That being said, I do think that he has to get out of the Serbian second tier ASAP. He's 20 right now and the next 3 three years are crucial for his development. It is the sweet spot where he is still eligible for to play for the U23 team but is old enough to train with the first team. I think that his best option is to sign with a tier one club in England, Germany, Italy or Spain and play for the second team or get loaned out. If he impresses, anything is possible. If he played any position other than CB, I would have no problem with him staying where he is. But since we are so thin at CB, he really needs to push himself to get to the highest possible level.

I don’t think a first division team is likely to pick him up even if he plays for their reserve team. Could definitely see him go to a strong second division team.

1 hour ago, Jith12 said:

I don't think it is really that bad for him where he is. He is still in a competitive environment and probably getting very good coaching. If he plays well, in a few months or a year he could be right back in the Serbian top tier or somewhere else in Europe and possibly for a bigger team than Javor. It is often not easy to find a team or a good contract and what would really be a disaster for him would be to be out of contract or stuck at a team where he is not getting playing time. We could probably put a fairly good list of Canadian national team players who at 20 were playing at a similar or worse level of play than the Serbian 2nd tier.