Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

1 hour ago, GasPed said:

This is a great clip - not only does DC show a huge competitive fire, but he also shows a great Richie Laryea sense of how to get under an opponent's skin.  And he shows some great athleticism.  There's a lot to like here. 

It's funny cause years ago, other than the tackle...this wasn't the Canadian way. 

2 hours ago, GasPed said:

This is a great clip - not only does DC show a huge competitive fire, but he also shows a great Richie Laryea sense of how to get under an opponent's skin.  And he shows some great athleticism.  There's a lot to like here. 

Agreed, Derek has been quoted, "I screamed and celebrated like a goal - he didn't like it". The Djurgarden player, Tokmac Nguen has been suspended 3 matches (until May 13 so maybe 4?) including the cup final against Malmo on Wednesday. Derek's rep has been taken to a hole...nother...level. 

Edited by PegCityCam

8 hours ago, VinceA said:

I like Kamal Miller as much as the next guy but it is time for Derek to start on the left.

I know the competition is not amazing, but he got the chance to be the senior centre back last game (with captain Jansson out) and they kept on ticking. 

If it is not exciting times at CMNT centre back, there is at least a considerably lessened sense of dread.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Malmo plays Djurgarden tomorrow in the Swedish Cup finals. If there wasn't already enough drama between the teams. Interesting to see how Derek reacts if they go at him.

Went 120+' in a victorious Cup Final.  1-1 after regular and extra time. Malmo won the penalties easily. 

Jansson was subbed late in extra time (maybe to get another wiley veteran - Martin Olsson - on to take a penalty?) so he was the only real true centre back on the pitch late. Again maybe me reading too much positive in but they seem to trust him a lot lately. 

A bit of him in the celebration near the end and then just a fun video. Congrats.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Feyenoord transfer rumors 2024/2025

Derek Cornelius

Feyenoord is interested in defender Derek Cornelius from Malmö FF. According to reports from FotbollDirekt , Ajax is also seriously interested in the 26-year-old Canadian. According to the Swedish media, Cornelius is considered the best central defender in the Allsvenskan at Malmö.

20 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Feyenoord transfer rumors 2024/2025

Derek Cornelius

Feyenoord is interested in defender Derek Cornelius from Malmö FF. According to reports from FotbollDirekt , Ajax is also seriously interested in the 26-year-old Canadian. According to the Swedish media, Cornelius is considered the best central defender in the Allsvenskan at Malmö.

Then I hope he ends up at Ajax

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

They should let him playing the Champions League qualifiers first.  Middle of July they start, little over two months.

Sell him if they don't qualify. 

Yeah both teams are solid choices but him going to Ajax guarantees that he'll be playing in Champions League for 24/25

3 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah both teams are solid choices but him going to Ajax guarantees that he'll be playing in Champions League for 24/25

Actually the opposite, Ajax have been poor for a couple years and can't get Europe let alone Champions League, next year. 

Feyenord on the other hand have qualified for the group stage. 

Posted (edited)

I haven't looked into the CB options at Ajax or Feyenoord, but the fact Ajax have no European football may give Feyenoord the edge here. Feyneoord are clearly the smallest of the 3 dutch giants, and historically would be the easiest of the 3 to get minutes, and if we factor that in, plus the fact they'll have more games to offer, perhaps the Rotterdam outfit is the best choice insofar as playing time goes, assuming there is a choice to be made.

Part of me still thinks Cornelius is fortunate either of these clubs even want him, period (especially Ajax). 

Do you guys have a preference?

Ajax being bigger is probably the popular choice. It's definitely the sexier move and would really help elevate the profile of Cornelius personally and our defense as a whole. BUT there is more risk I imagine, because they are the bigger club and a real talent factory, so there's bound to always be a young future star trying to break in. And given the lack of European football, that could make it even more difficult for Cornelius to get playing time....

Edited by Obinna

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I haven't looked into the CB options at Ajax or Feyenoord, but the fact Ajax have no European football may give Feyenoord the edge here. Feyneoord are clearly the smallest of the 3 dutch giants, and historically would be the easiest of the 3 to get minutes, and if we factor that in, plus the fact they'll have more games to offer, perhaps the Rotterdam outfit is the best choice insofar as playing time goes, assuming there is a choice to be made.

Part of me still thinks Cornelius is fortunate either of these clubs even want him, period (especially Ajax). 

Do you guys have a preference?

Ajax being bigger is probably the popular choice. It's definitely the sexier move and would really help elevate the profile of Cornelius personally and our defense as a whole. BUT there is more risk I imagine, because they are the bigger club and a real talent factory, so there's bound to always be a young future star trying to break in. And given the lack of European football, that could make it even more difficult for Cornelius to get playing time....

Ajax.

They will inevitably get back soon to their habitual form, and being there is so prestigious. It'd be an honour for Canada fans to have one of our own there.

Hope no one reminds me who was coaching them into their current mess this year....

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ajax.

They will inevitably get back soon to their habitual form, and being there is so prestigious. It'd be an honour for Canada fans to have one of our own there.

Hope no one reminds me who was coaching them into their current mess this year....

To be fair, he lasted longer than the 3 others that preceded him after Ten Hagg left.  And that was only 2 years ago. 

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ajax.

Feyenoord will also have a new manager next year, since Slot is leaving for Liverpool.  So there's really no telling how that club will do in the next few years.

8 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Actually the opposite, Ajax have been poor for a couple years and can't get Europe let alone Champions League, next year. 

Feyenord on the other hand have qualified for the group stage. 

If he plays for Malmo in the CL, doesn't that block him from playing in the CL for Feyenoord? Obviously not a concern if the destination is Ajax.

30 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

If he plays for Malmo in the CL, doesn't that block him from playing in the CL for Feyenoord? Obviously not a concern if the destination is Ajax.

No. UEFA eliminated being cup tied if transferred following the qualifying rounds.