Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

hallelujah, he's free!

Now go kill it!

I think thats a little unfair. Sure this year he hast had many opportunities but the Whitecaps gave him lots of minutes prior to this. Not often you see that with CBs that age in the MLS 

But anyways good luck to him, I think he's a very consistent, steady, smart CB still with room to grow 

Edited by SpursFlu

9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think thats a little unfair. Sure this year he hast had many opportunities but the Whitecaps gave him lots of minutes prior to this. Not often you see that with CBs that age in the MLS 

But anyways good luck to him, I think he's a very consistent, steady, smart CB still with room to grow 

Whitecaps are shite, and have been shite -is fair assessment. It looks good when they bring in all these Canadians, it's horrible when the team has zero identity, and the players suffer.

If you can name a CB that has been good for Whitecaps, you're bullshitting yourself. So for me it's a slap in the face that they haven't given him more minutes considering who's been playing in front of him. 

Maybe the Whitecaps can start thinking about giving their homegrowns like Facchineri some opportunities.

9 minutes ago, Shway said:

Whitecaps are shite, and have been shite -is fair assessment. It looks good when they bring in all these Canadians, it's horrible when the team has zero identity, and the players suffer.

If you can name a CB that has been good for Whitecaps, you're bullshitting yourself. So for me it's a slap in the face that they haven't given him more minutes considering who's been playing in front of him. 

Maybe the Whitecaps can start thinking about giving their homegrowns like Facchineri some opportunities.

Don't worry i already knew you thought all that. This opinion of the Whitecaps is expressed time and time on here. I think Rose sucks so I dont disagree entirely but its just not so cut and dry. For instance I want Bair and Baldisimo to succeed for sure but the team seems to take a dip when they start. So I hear you but I think its best to just evaluate every situation individually rather than some overriding issue with the Whitecaps 

Earlier in this thread I was saying I wouldn't like a move to a lower table side in Greece, as I thought he could do better, but I have been swayed by the majority on here celebrating the move as a good thing. The fact is, the league is probably a little stronger than the Serbian league, and he'll likely play regularly. These are positives, not negatives.

I'm accepting this is where Cornelius is at right now in his career. He is not ready for the level I thought he could land at. Getting a lot of games at a lower level can help him land at a club like PAOK or AEK Athens in the next 18 months. Who knows, maybe such clubs come in for him after a strong 2021-22 . He'd still be part of Vancouver then too, maybe they can do a tidy bit of business on him. 

3 hours ago, Shway said:

Waston and Tim Parker were a nice combination. Those Caps teams were pretty bad, but had few goals against and the CBs worked properly. And they had so much work. 

Now is you were referring to Canadians, what happened to Edgar was a shame, lasted too little until the injury. He looked very strong on that back line the few times (one time?) I saw him.

John Limniatis played for this team. 

Radzinski was at Xanthi for a season or two. They must pay fairly well, but as is said, there is a big dropoff from Olympiakos and AEK, then PAOK, and the rest.

PAOK knocked Besiktas out of CL in a qualifying round last August.

Greek league, like seen with the national team, tends to be lower scoring, rather defensive as is, and not very open in attack. 

21 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Radzinski was at Xanthi for a season or two. They must pay fairly well, but as is said, there is a big dropoff from Olympiakos and AEK, then PAOK, and the rest.

Greek league, like seen with the national team, tends to be lower scoring, rather defensive as is, and not very open in attack. 

Bill Domazetis signed a 6 month deal for Pas Ioannina in 1990, said to have earned the equivalent of 50000 US. Sounds pretty good for that time period

32 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Cornelius' new club just defeated Xanthi in a play off in order to stay in the top flight.

Speaking of Canadians in Greece I recall Tam Nsaliwa playing for AEK.

Edited by narduch

24 minutes ago, jordan said:

Bill Domazetis signed a 6 month deal for Pas Ioannina in 1990, said to have earned the equivalent of 50000 US. Sounds pretty good for that time period

Billy Domazetis. There’s a name from the past. The Wayne Gretzky of Canadian soccer was his label as a teenager if I recall correctly. 

3 hours ago, An Observer said:

Billy Domazetis. There’s a name from the past. The Wayne Gretzky of Canadian soccer was his label as a teenager if I recall correctly. 

Remember him and John Limniatis very well from the old CSL days of the late 80s.  
We should have a separate thread with just players we remembered from 25+ years ago and what they might be doing now.

14 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Remember him and John Limniatis very well from the old CSL days of the late 80s.  
We should have a separate thread with just players we remembered from 25+ years ago and what they might be doing now.

I sometimes wonder if any of these for CSL players are voyageurs now or at least follow and/or post here.  

I loved the idea of a where are they now thread....

7 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

As an accountant, I really appreciate that at least one person might include me as "salt of thy earth." :)

Which reminds me of a joke, "accountants never die, they just lose their balance". PS My brother is an accountant that's why I can use this joke.😁